ScienceGrow's Bag Seed Sativa - Alpha Clones - Soil - LED/CFL - Grow

ScienceGrow

Space - 36"x30"x78" steel cabinet
Light - Cloning-24/0, 2x23W 6400K CFLs; Veg-20/4, Flower-12/12 with 1xGalaxyHydro 300W LED, 2x23W 2600K, 2x23W 6400K CFLs.
Medium - Cuttings in Promix Seedling, Transplant to a different ProMix/perlite mix rest of the way.
Nutrients - Fox Farm line: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom. Also SuperThrive and a CalMag supplement.
Strain - Sativa dominant, from a Bagseed mother. No hermies, and a solid plant, can't wait to see how these clones do with significantly better conditions overall.
# of Plants - 4
Yield - I'd be happy with an ounce per plant, but I think I can do better than that.
--
DSC_1667.JPG

These clones were taken from a still flowering mother, my first grow. Considering how many mistakes I made with her, she's doing really well and I'm very excited for harvest. I'm even more excited to see how these will do, now that I'm a little more prepared and know what not to do. I think I've got some good genetics here, whatever they may be.

The LED I'm using was my first light, which I bought for Alpha. I had Alpha on much the same setup for flowering as I do for this new grow. Alpha is now on to bigger and better lighting, but this LED was definitely growing my plant, and looks like it's growing these pretty well too.

To Date:
August 18 - Took 6 Cuttings from Alpha in third week of flowering. Dipped in RootBoost and planted in ProMix Seedling. Put under a transparent DIY dome, kept humidity around 90%, 78F.

August 29 - Transplanted 5 rooted clones to Party Cups and ProMix/perlite mix. Watered with Superthrive at recommended dose. Roots were exiting drain holes. Moved to cabinet and put under GalaxyHydro

September 5 - Transplanted 4 still rooted clones to 1 Liter plastic pots. Root system is excellent, exiting drain holes again. Watered with Fox Farm Big Bloom at full dose and Grow Big at half dose.

Today - Just waiting for them to finish drinking, will likely be watering tomorrow. They've grown a LOT in the last four days, I wish I'd taken pictures when I transplanted. They've about doubled in size and foliage. Growing so fast, you can actually see the trichomes all spread out, instead of bunched together, from the reveg.

Here's what they look like today. I've moved the CFL's out of the way.
DSC_1802.JPG
DSC_18041.JPG
DSC_18051.JPG

Little late ScienceGrow but I will hang and watch your grow. This looks to be something I can learn and place in the old memory chip. Love how you revegged your clones.
Thanks for the journal. Subbed

Hey, thanks for watching Mtn Dew. Who's late, you or me?

The reveg was interesting. Bastards kept flowering, trichomes kept coming that first week under 20/4.

You got four cuttings to root and grow so you must be doing something right. :thumb:
L8r

And I'm pretty sure my cutting straight instead of at a 45 is what killed the other two. Got lucky on these four.

That said, how do people have trouble doing this? Or is this just beginners luck?

Wow, guess I got lucky. Maybe being in flower helped somehow? Cannabis Horticulture says it shouldn't be hard to get 100% clone rate though, with some practice. I'm pretty sure my other two cuttings died because of the angle I cut at.

Clones are growing strong, getting close to needing a new container, roots about to escape these ones. Will transplant next watering day. Probably Thursday.

The stems are substantially thicker, and growth is ridiculous. Alpha never grew like this. Good soil and nutes, and properly pH'd water, make a world of difference.

Will be topping probably tonight, use those for more clones, and will let them veg another three weeks before the switch to 12/12. I may use one of the tops as a long term mother. Just seems fun.

I'll toss a few photos up tonight, and measure growth since last photos.

I didn't top. Saw signs of nutrient deficiency. Runoff PPMs were <200, so they were fed a full dose of Big Bloom and Grow Big, pH'd to 6.6. About 1100 PPMs.

Like their mother, these are hungry plants. Had no idea they'd eat up so much nutrients. Everyone talks about nute burn, especially with fox farms nutes, so I've been very conservative with them. I guess I need to let loose the nutes and roll with the recommended schedule.

Growth has been crazy. BIG leaves, thick stems, great root system. Internodes are tight, almost too tight. No burn anywhere. Had a couple deficient leaves, took them out. This thing is leafy enough and growing like mad so not worried about it.

Still need to repot, probably still late this week. Will top at that time so the cuttings are still well fed.

Promise to get pics tonight, the deficiency and my issues with their mother had me preoccupied.

Stay tuned, I think this will be a really good grow. This plant is kind of a badass.

Here's some pics. One plant is growing a lot faster and larger than the others. None started much bigger. I can only attribute this to a better root system from the cloning stage as they've had equal treatment otherwise.

DSC_2057.JPG

Bottom right is growing a good deal faster.
DSC_20591.JPG

Cloning is damn near impossible for some people SG. Took me a few tries to get it right. Was lucky to get 1/10 over a decade ago but don't have any problems getting them all now. I always take more than I need just in case tho. Soon as you start getting cocky it all goes to shit! :rofl:

For nOObs it's a good idea to try rooting cuttings even if you don't need them just to make sure you can do it when the need arises. Plus it's a good idea to get cuts off any plant that you don't know what it will be like when it's finished. I've lost some really good strains because I didn't have a clone to keep it going after finding out it was the bomb.

L8r

Wow, I had no idea. Beginners luck. Yeah, I'm trying to not get cocky. That nute deficiency is def. Keeping my ego in check, haha.

I'm so glad I took these cuttings, Alpha turned out to be one hell of a plant; definitely not the bagseed everyone warns against planting. Only downside is you gotta keep them going forever. So, I may look into making a mother, but I'd like to try my hand at creating feminized seeds. For the experience as well as preserving the genetics.

Thanks for stopping in guys, not much going in, more photos next week, or the next time things take a turn. In the meantime, my first grow is damn close to harvest, and I've got some tasty macro shots. So much more exciting over there right now.

SG, nice to hear you have some new growth.

I am going to take a few (8ish) clones of a Blueberry OG and might make a small journal out of it....what do y'all think? Rockwool+heatmat...

Plus it's a good idea to get cuts off any plant that you don't know what it will be like when it's finished. I've lost some really good strains because I didn't have a clone to keep it going after finding out it was the bomb

You are like the fifth person I have heard this from. It's really sad to hear about strains that go "extinct". I would love to keep a pile of mother plants. I wish I had the time and the space. I will do my best to keep clones of each plant I grow before I flower them, with this summers outdoor crop being the exception...

I was considering a fun little experiment of keeping a multi mother plant through grafting to save on space.

I'm not sure what the best medium is. I used soil and a hormone powder, and kept the rH up in the 90's, spraying the leaves and roof of the cover I was using. I had a little battery powered fan moving air. I didn't feed them, but I used a soil for seeds and cuttings that has some nutrients in it.

Maybe try multiple methods.

Transplanted all four clones to final 3 gallon smart pots. These will be their homes moving forward.

Went with Sunshine #4 for my medium, so anything that goes wrong is officially my fault, I'm now soilless. Can't blame it on the soil. Drenched in pH'd water with Big Bloom, half dose. Will go back to full nutes next feeding.

These pots filled my cabinet, no extra space. Will do pics next feeding.

The three smaller ones got some nute burn from that last feeding, I think. The big one had no issues. Probably the roots, the big one has a much more robust root system. Anyway, the other three are fine, burn was minor.

Pics tonight.

Man, going from plants that I was watering every nine days to plants that need it every 4 days is quite a change. Resolved all my deficiencies, doing great now. They're little bushes, leafy as all hell, dense foliage, compact. Three are doing great, one, not so great. Not sure why, will sees what happens.

They've got some temporary roommates, three Fast & Vast seeds ready to pop through the soil. I'll get a journal up for them. Wondering if there's any issues with posting a picture of the seedpack. Anyone?

Haha, I suck at updates lately. I actually wrote an update for this last week, but I was so stoned that I either wrote it on someone else's journal or I never hit submit. Probably the latter, I didn't hear any complaints.

Well, here's where we're at. Pics tonight.

I'm out of space. My biggest is a lovely bush of a plant, and honestly, I almost want to kick all the other plants out and let this one take over the cabinet. For now, I'm moving one to my other cabinet to be a long term mother, and I'm putting the other one outside to fend for itself. Who knows, should be interesting. At least I'll see what happens to a very cold plant in flower.

Well, they're doing great, no deficiencies or problems. I finally got some tips to burn on my test plant. I got my PPMS up to 1800 for her, and finally got a little burn. This strain, is insanely hungry, whatever it is. Explains why the mother nearly died of starvation with normal feeding levels.

Well, since I'll have a mother going and want to get get some more variety, I'll be switching these to flower probably in another week. I've already begun the transition with the last feeding, a half dose each of Grow Big and Tiger Bloom, full dose Big Bloom. Will switch lights to 12/12 Friday, after next feeding.

Just a note to others, I had been reading about taking flowering cuttings, and ran across a site that talked about monster clones that you get from this very practice. Fucking confirmed. Revegging clones man, makes big monster bushes, at least in my case. Beautiful bushes. Again, pics tonight, you'll see.

Back
Top Bottom