Scientific's Coconut Coir Dwarf Low Flyer Summer Pot In An Air Pot Grow

I am now a drain-to-waste coco coir air pot fanboy.

I would think, given your comparison of the hydro to coco grows, that you would work on perfecting the hydro grow. Once you get that down to a "science," the weight and stickyness comparison alone would point you down that road. Twice as sticky, 30% increase in yield of buds and 6x the trim...

Personally I'd stick with the coco, but I'm not all that scientific! Chacun à son goût.

> Chacun à son goût.
Mais oui! ;)

I got fantastic results with hydro, but adjusting the pH twice a day was a pain. I have read that that's not really necessary, but sometimes my pH reading would drop into the 4s! And I never really understood the dynamics at work, which bugged me, despite some great charts. (Next time I will have a much bigger reservoir, I know that.)

But my hydro grow got bright light 24 hours a day from seed to harvest while the coco grow got at most 8.5 hours a day. That's a huge difference.

I think a fair, side-by-side comparison would require identical lighting and a five gallon reservoir versus a five gallon air pot, with the coco air pot irrigated multiple times per day (I'm not sure how many. Four? Six? Twelve?) I'm pretty sure that under those circumstances, the coco grow could compete well. That would be a fun and interesting experiment!

Got busy with life but just finished reading. Congrats and although I had several comments, the only one that wasn't discussed two weeks ago is the lack of stickiness. I'm nearing my first outdoor harvest of a Northern Lights plant or two and they are not very frosty. Do plants just not get that sticky outdoors? I don't have any experience with the strain or the outdoors.

Ever look into budwashing? I might give my outdoor plants a go with it.

From my personal and limited experience, my (mostly) outdoor Blueberries are def sticky, though I don't have an indoor grow to compare them with. My AK-47 is pretty sticky too. So there's that!

I wash my buds in hydrogen peroxide/water just to clean off the bug poop, the oil spray, the BT spray, and anything else that doesn't belong in your lungs. It's Jorge Cervantes' method.

Some folks on this site do a 3-bucket wash with lemon juice and baking soda and such, but that's way more than I feel like getting into.
Doc Bud's Bud Washing Method
or another version here:
Bud Washing

Got busy with life but just finished reading. Congrats and although I had several comments, the only one that wasn't discussed two weeks ago is the lack of stickiness. I'm nearing my first outdoor harvest of a Northern Lights plant or two and they are not very frosty. Do plants just not get that sticky outdoors? I don't have any experience with the strain or the outdoors.

Ever look into budwashing? I might give my outdoor plants a go with it.

Thanks -- I think the buds were less sticky because they only got eight hours of sunlight a day, and a lot of those hours were early in the morning (i.e. 5 to 9 AM) when the sunlight wasn't very intense. It's just not fair to compare that to twenty-four hours a day of fairly intense light.

Given the limitations, I think this grow went well. It will be interesting to compare the extracts from this and the previous grow side by side.

As for washing, this plant grew three floors up in a pretty clean environment, and I was surprised at how it almost never had a bug or a spider or anything else on it. The buds were clean and even free of dust. I guess if they were stickier, that might have been more of an issue. ;) I only sprayed the organic neem oil on the coco, not the leaves (and the neem oil was organic and certified for food use).

I throw away anything that is the least big moldy. That would include powdery mildew (which I have never had on cannabis, though it used to plague my pumpkin patch here in the damp Northwest). Fungus, besides being disgusting, can have toxic chemicals and spores. Best just not to have anything to do with it at all.

I think anything with bird poop would have to go, too. Maybe if I was a serious outdoor grower I'd look into some netting.

Day 76 -- Jarring It Up

I don't know why I continue to go through the curing ritual. I don't smoke the stuff, I make it into extracts. I guess I just want to learn how to do a proper cure, and I suspect that a proper cure breaks down the chlorophyll and grassy-smelling components, which may improve the flavor, smell, and color of the extract. (Dwarf Low Flyer buds have useful amounts of THC, but they're far from primo stuff. Someday I'd like to grow and cure a cup-winning strain and see and smell the difference.)

2017-08-14_Day_76_Cure_001.JPG

The two jars on the left are the five-day-old harvest. The jar on the right has been curing for over two months. Its color is noticeably less green.

Day 78 - Yield is 1.75 ounces of so-so bud

I jarred the buds after four days of drying.
Now, six days after harvest, they're curing at about 63% relative humidity.

Buds are down to 50 grams (1.75 ounces) from 222 grams, 23% of wet weight. I'll bet these are only about 5% THC or so, so maybe 2,500 mg THC, so about 250, 10 mg Canna Caps? That will do...

Sugar leaves are down from 28 grams to 8 grams, 29%. (The leaves on this grow are nothing like the sugary leaves of the hydro grow. Those were about 5% THC, these are maybe 1%? They're worth saving, but they don't qualify as "sticky trim.")

So not a monster yield, but a fun summer project.

I drive by the legal pot stores up the way and laugh because I GROW MY OWN! ;)

2017-08-16_Day_78_Weigh_002_Photoshop.jpg

Today: 50 grams dry weight, down from 222 grams trimmed wet

2017-08-10_Day_72_HARVEST_2_001.JPG

A week ago: Wet untrimmed weight was 266 grams

Day 76 -- Jarring It Up

I don't know why I continue to go through the curing ritual. I don't smoke the stuff, I make it into extracts. I guess I just want to learn how to do a proper cure, and I suspect that a proper cure breaks down the chlorophyll and grassy-smelling components, which may improve the flavor, smell, and color of the extract. (Dwarf Low Flyer buds have useful amounts of THC, but they're far from primo stuff. Someday I'd like to grow and cure a cup-winning strain and see and smell the difference.)

If you want to skip the curing or even the drying (besides for the knowledge) you should read SweetSue's FHO journal. Fascinating stuff that I read even though it has nothing to do with what I do:
Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

Hey scientific,
Approximately how many days did you flush for in the coco?

Hi gr0w -- I gave the plant pH'd water + molasses for the first time on Saturday and harvested on the following Thursday, so the plant got exactly five says of sugar water.

I had planned to give it a full week, but four leaves turned yellow overnight from Wednesday, to Thursday, and that was evidence for me that the nutrients had run out, or at least started to run out. I probably would have gone the full week (or even longer) except I saw my first aphids and decided to just end the grow rather than launch some kind of pest control program in the plant's last days.

After all of my careful concealment and camouflage efforts, one of my upstairs neighbors just stepped out on his balcony and let go a great blast of tres danque herb smoke. I guess I didn't need to worry about those guys. ;)
2017-07-19_Day_50_002.JPG

Back
Top Bottom