Scotts Miracle Grow Purchases General Hydroponics, Sunlight Supply And Others

60's Old Timer

MODERATOR: Please delete if inappropriate
Note that I am new to the 420 Forums but not MJ Grows & MMJ.
I have heard for years about the Scotts products & especially their Miracle Grow being like "poison" to our grows. There are 20+ links to this topic, so below I just pasted one if you want to search further.

Check link here: Scotts Miracle-Gro Buys General Hydroponics
"Scotts Miracle-Gro, a convicted corporate criminal that sells low-end fertilizers, Monsanto’s Round-Up, and other poisons, has purchased hydroponics nutrients manufacturer General Hydroponics.
It has also purchased Dutch lighting company Gavita, and Arizona-based hydroponics nutrients company Botanicare, and Sunlight Supply.
These big-money takeovers were made by a Scotts Miracle-Gro front company called “Hawthorne Gardening Company,” a wholly-owned Scotts subsidiary formed in 2014.
Hawthorne is managed by Chris Hagedorn, the oldest son of Scotts CEO Jim Hagedorn.
But in public statements made by General Hydroponics and Hawthorne spokespersons, the Scotts Miracle-Gro connection is hidden, because Scotts is universally scorned by the marijuana growing and organic gardening communities.

As detailed in this hard-hitting article, Scotts Miracle-Gro is a corporate felon, allied with chemical and GMO giant Monsanto, and a partner in the drug war."
General Hydroponics: Shuns Marijuana Growers, Embraces Weed Killer Manufacturer

I was JUST b!tching about that, lol.

The Wikipedia article on Scotts Miracle-Gro has a pretty extensive timeline listing which companies has bought:
Scotts Miracle-Gro Company - Wikipedia

Scroll up just a little and you can read about their toxic (to birds :rofl:) birdseed incident. And about how, in 2007, the USDA fined the corporation $500,000 when genes from one of its genetically modified grasses were found in native grasses up to 13 miles away from the test sites (and these entities routinely say that such genes are NOT able to jump the species barrier and end up in other organisms :rolleyes: ).

By the way, what is a $500,000 fine to a corporation that makes $450,000,000 purchases? Comparable to a pro sports player getting a speeding ticket? A cup of coffee to the rest of us poor schmucks? All monetary fines should be based on percentages of the guilty party's income/worth. Basic flaw in our legal system. Some poor working stiff gets a $175 speeding ticket, he's skipping (more than a few) meals to pay for it. His kids might end up skipping their Christmas presents. If LeBron James gets the same ticket, he might end up asking the cop if he can just scoop up a couple of dropped hundred dollar bills from the floormat and pay it at the side of the road. (I know, this wouldn't actually happen - but it does illustrate my point here.)

Update on Scott's acquisitions: Scotts and Hawthorne currently own big-name brands including General Hydroponics, Botanicare, Gavita, Can-Filters, Black Magic, Whitney Farms, Vermicrop Organics, Root Farm and Ecoscraps.

This is soooooo wrong. I wish big Pharma had a beef with them. It would be the most expensive battle in history, and the part that really sucks the law makers and supreme court justness benefit from all that money

so miracle grow is no good, cuz im a poor girl, have 1 clone that is doing really good that's what I had to plant it in want to put in way big pot ,maybe in ground thinking as I herd happy frog not liking fertilizers, just simple and not exspensive just beginning suggestions plz

I had much better luck with Coco than with soil. I found it so much easier .. no pests of any kind, more work, but the increase in harvest is worth it .. if I had it to do all over again, I would never grow in soil, coco is the way to go for me anyway.

so miracle grow is no good, cuz im a poor girl

One must, occasionally, make allowances for one's distressed circumstances (otherwise, I'd have missed a lot more meals ;) ). If you cannot realistically afford to spend much on nutrients, take a look at our Osmocote Plus thread. Yes, this product is owned by the Scotts MiracleGro monster :( . But as you'll be able to surmise from that thread, people have grown (and do grow) decent cannabis with it. Add a pinch of Epsom salt to supply "extra" magnesium (or some kind of combined calcium / magnesium product if your plants are deficient in both elements).

Here's a Dark Devil Auto that has had almost nothing else (other than water, of course):

Another one owned by "the monster" is General Hydroponics Maxi Series, a two-part (one "grow," one "bloom") dry nutrient that the user mixes with water. Works out to pennies per gallon (15¢, maybe?). Or Jack's Classic (hydroponic? There are so many "Jack's" products that I forget), amonium nitrate, and Epsom salt. Also works out to be pretty inexpensive per dose, although - if I remember correctly - the GH MaxiSeries stuff is even cheaper.

Here's a tip from one "po' folk" to another, lol: Sit down with your favorite web-search engine and compile a list of different plant nutrient companies, along with their contact email addresses. Then spend some time creating a request for product samples from each of them. Don't tell them you're poor and want free nutrients, lol. Instead, tell them you are interested in their products (honesty being important, read about them first and try to become interested ;) ). Maybe that you're interested, but there are so many companies offering so many product lines that you just don't feel comfortable spending limited resources on one randomly and, having read {something} about their product line and/or one or more specific products, you'd like to give them a trial run against {competitor's product which you normally use} to see how they compare in the real world, because you are interested in making a change. That sort of thing. Remember to be complimentary, polite, mention their products by name, et cetera. Standard used-car dealer / salesman / con artist stuff, but it often works (which is why it's a "standard," one supposes).

Make sure you keep your notes straight; you don't want to create a nice email to company A in which you mention the great things you've read about their products, maybe mention other comparable products you've used in the past (extra credit if you can come up with one that they have a better version of which you might conceivably switch to if it actually does prove to be better) that you're not all that happy about, et cetera... only to end up asking if they ever send out samples of product #237 for prospective customers to test - when product #237 is actually made by a different company :rolleyes: .

Asking about specific products: May be helpful, but may end up being the opposite; use your own judgment.

Remember, the company employee who reads your email is under no obligation to do anything, let alone send you free nutrients. If they do, it is to be looked at as a favor (even if that favor might reasonably be expected to benefit their company in the future). If they refuse, remain polite in your follow-up "thanks, anyway" email - and always send one! I have had last minute offers because, I assume, the person ended up deciding I wasn't just someone with their hand out.

I have been told that a company never gives out product samples. I have been told that they only send them to hydroponics / indoor gardening stores; occasionally, those came with a request for the location of my local one so that they could include something for me in their next bulk shipment to the store (when I stated that my "local" one was a three-hour drive, one company then asked for my address and sent something or other). I have been told that the person would be happy to send samples, but that they received so many requests that they had to start asking for the person to pay shipping costs (which is fair). One nice lady turned out to be the head of the (small) company, LMAO, who replied that she had never been asked for product samples before and that, therefore, they didn't have any handy sample-sized products to send. Followed by, "But if you like, I can box up the set that I have been using on my own garden and send them to you." Those looked to be geared toward the small- to moderate-sized outdoor produce grower - and one of the bottled products smelled like death - so I used them on the fruit & vegetable plot.

Be sure to send follow-up thank you emails.

I herd happy frog not liking fertilizers

Er... huh? It's a pretty commonly used product for growing cannabis in. I use both it and Ocean Forest. It doesn't scream at me when (later) the plants require more nutrients than it initially contained and I feed them.

You for got a few company's that Hawthorne Garden has swooped up like Botanicare, Sunlight supply, Gavita, Can-Filters, Black Magic, Whitney Farms, Vermicrop Organics, Root Farm and Ecoscraps and Dutch farms in Arizona. I was very happy using the Flora series from General Hydroponics, but now you know they are going to cut corners and change the basic ingreedients like Scotts did priorer by instead of using natural or organic stuff to make the Nutes they went to their other buddy company Monsanto (Which is the worlds leading producer of poisoin.) So you know they can get it cheaper than organic from the left over sludge of Monsanto.

so miracle grow is no good, cuz im a poor girl, have 1 clone that is doing really good that's what I had to plant it in want to put in way big pot ,maybe in ground thinking as I herd happy frog not liking fertilizers, just simple and not exspensive just beginning suggestions plz
thanx for info but I think ill stick to happy and forest, im a simple girl educating my self on growing..thanx for the help in decision...have a great day..

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Miracle Grow. It's really not a bad nutrient to use, especially if you are someone growing on a budget. But I can understand some being against it since they are such a huge company and also make some other less than desirable products. I've tried many different nutrients and now I use Jacks 20-20-20 for veg and Jacks 10-30-20 for flower. I usually have multiple tents going at any given time and using an expensive nutrient can really add up. I'm not on any kind of budget, but paying 250 or more per grow on nutes was getting on my nerves. So it's Jacks from now on. It seems to work fine on soil or hydro. I have not added up the total amount of nutes I use per grow. But I think it's somewhere around 60 bucks a grow. and if I start buing the 25 lb bags, it will cut the cost to about 30 bucks a grow.

Hey stondfairy, If you're REALLY poor, any good quality Ph neutral sterilized potting soil will do the trick, ProMix HP is a little cheaper than FF and I've been hearing some good things about it. If you can't afford to buy the soil you can always try ordinary compost but you need to heat it up to 250 degrees for about 30 minutes to kill any other bacteria that may be present. Good thing I live alone, it makes a pretty RIPE smell when it's in the oven.:rolleyes:

One must, occasionally, make allowances for one's distressed circumstances (otherwise, I'd have missed a lot more meals ;) ). If you cannot realistically afford to spend much on nutrients, take a look at our Osmocote Plus thread. Yes, this product is owned by the Scotts MiracleGro monster :( . But as you'll be able to surmise from that thread, people have grown (and do grow) decent cannabis with it. Add a pinch of Epsom salt to supply "extra" magnesium (or some kind of combined calcium / magnesium product if your plants are deficient in both elements).

Here's a Dark Devil Auto that has had almost nothing else (other than water, of course):

Another one owned by "the monster" is General Hydroponics Maxi Series, a two-part (one "grow," one "bloom") dry nutrient that the user mixes with water. Works out to pennies per gallon (15¢, maybe?). Or Jack's Classic (hydroponic? There are so many "Jack's" products that I forget), amonium nitrate, and Epsom salt. Also works out to be pretty inexpensive per dose, although - if I remember correctly - the GH MaxiSeries stuff is even cheaper.

Here's a tip from one "po' folk" to another, lol: Sit down with your favorite web-search engine and compile a list of different plant nutrient companies, along with their contact email addresses. Then spend some time creating a request for product samples from each of them. Don't tell them you're poor and want free nutrients, lol. Instead, tell them you are interested in their products (honesty being important, read about them first and try to become interested ;) ). Maybe that you're interested, but there are so many companies offering so many product lines that you just don't feel comfortable spending limited resources on one randomly and, having read {something} about their product line and/or one or more specific products, you'd like to give them a trial run against {competitor's product which you normally use} to see how they compare in the real world, because you are interested in making a change. That sort of thing. Remember to be complimentary, polite, mention their products by name, et cetera. Standard used-car dealer / salesman / con artist stuff, but it often works (which is why it's a "standard," one supposes).

Make sure you keep your notes straight; you don't want to create a nice email to company A in which you mention the great things you've read about their products, maybe mention other comparable products you've used in the past (extra credit if you can come up with one that they have a better version of which you might conceivably switch to if it actually does prove to be better) that you're not all that happy about, et cetera... only to end up asking if they ever send out samples of product #237 for prospective customers to test - when product #237 is actually made by a different company :rolleyes: .

Asking about specific products: May be helpful, but may end up being the opposite; use your own judgment.

Remember, the company employee who reads your email is under no obligation to do anything, let alone send you free nutrients. If they do, it is to be looked at as a favor (even if that favor might reasonably be expected to benefit their company in the future). If they refuse, remain polite in your follow-up "thanks, anyway" email - and always send one! I have had last minute offers because, I assume, the person ended up deciding I wasn't just someone with their hand out.

I have been told that a company never gives out product samples. I have been told that they only send them to hydroponics / indoor gardening stores; occasionally, those came with a request for the location of my local one so that they could include something for me in their next bulk shipment to the store (when I stated that my "local" one was a three-hour drive, one company then asked for my address and sent something or other). I have been told that the person would be happy to send samples, but that they received so many requests that they had to start asking for the person to pay shipping costs (which is fair). One nice lady turned out to be the head of the (small) company, LMAO, who replied that she had never been asked for product samples before and that, therefore, they didn't have any handy sample-sized products to send. Followed by, "But if you like, I can box up the set that I have been using on my own garden and send them to you." Those looked to be geared toward the small- to moderate-sized outdoor produce grower - and one of the bottled products smelled like death - so I used them on the fruit & vegetable plot.

Be sure to send follow-up thank you emails.

Er... huh? It's a pretty commonly used product for growing cannabis in. I use both it and Ocean Forest. It doesn't scream at me when (later) the plants require more nutrients than it initially contained and I feed them.
Love this TS you are the bomb!!!

Love this TS you are the bomb!!!
I was just on Amazon just browsing Nutes and the General Hydroponics and Botanicare both have a much more colorfull look th them and striking similar to each other, and the price has gone up 26% more than before Hawthorne Gardening bought them. This is going to be bad. Those cooperate types are infected with Greed. First they will raise the price ( All ready done, then they will be replacing the original ingredients with Cheaper chemicals they get from Scott's Parent company Monsanto) Which is the company that sold Germany during WW2 the poison mustard seed gas. They are the worlds leading poison manufacturer. Please try to refrain from buying from them You can get better nutes for the price they are selling for now. As far as the Osmocote Plus this is a product that Scotts has been producing for a long time and I will bet money if you did a lab test on whats in there you will probably find that they are made with cheep chemicals. And the fact that it is Time release means they have added something to leach out the chemicals just like Miracle Grow same thing. And they are even trying to hide the fact that its made by scots.
Evergreen Garden Care, manufacturer and distributor of a broad range of lawn and garden care products such as plant fertilizers, lawn fertilizers, herbicides & pesticides. Scotts ® & Lawn Builder™ are trademarks of OMS Investments, Inc. and are used under licence from OMS Investments, Inc. Scotts Osmocote® is licensed to Evergreen Garden Care for consumer markets from the ICL Group. It has been my experience that in the past when I used a product similar it was a slow release fert, But I flushed it as I always do but because ofthe slow release I could definately tast a harsh chemical flavor to the Afgan cush.

Back
Top Bottom