Scrog before or after flower stretch?

Gee

Good morning,

The question I’ve been asking myself and can’t find the answer is, do branches get laid down under net and NOT intertwined in the string until stretch is complete or before?

A brief history, had my first grow last year and it was very successful, other than the fact i over fertilized some plants.

This year I’ve dialed in my fertilizers BUT made a change and decided to scrog. I was plagued with trying to get enough sun on some parts of the plant (last year I used a metal cages to support the plant and the inside did not get sufficient light. Here is what I have

- outdoor grow. I am in California
- two plants, OG kush and banana split strain
- they are in veg now and expect flower in 2-3 weeks
- plants are in 20 gallon fabric bags w organic potting soil

last year at stretch, some plants went crazy, and one plant even skipped a node (no bud site) as it grew so fast.
Because I am going to scrog I am wondering WHEN IN THE GROW CYCLE DO I BEGIN THE SCROG NET? Not sure how the stretch can affect the branches if the stretch has not yet happened.

Do branches get laid down and NOT intertwined in string until stretch is complete?

THANK YOU

before and during. A scrog screen is typically put 10" above the soil and by the 4th week of veg the plants are forced from then on to grow sideways beneath the screen. When the screen is half full, you do the flip and then the 2 weeks of stretch will fill in the rest of the screen. Then, when stretch is over with, you let the growth go vertical from there.

before and during. A scrog screen is typically put 10" above the soil and by the 4th week of veg the plants are forced from then on to grow sideways beneath the screen. When the screen is half full, you do the flip and then the 2 weeks of stretch will fill in the rest of the screen. Then, when stretch is over with, you let the growth go vertical from there.

awesome thank you. I am growing outdoors so have to leave it to nature.

I would suggest a trellis then, not a scrog

I already started the Scrog net and placed the 3x3 foot net over the plant. What could happen if I use Scrog outdoors? I saw so many posts and pictures in a search

unless you are restricting the plants to no more than 10" vertical height and are now growing them sideways under the screen, you are not scrogging. Also, a typical scrog screen has 1 or maybe 2 inch openings... a net simply would not do it. It might be sold as a scrog net, but with today's lighting, and especially outside, there is rarely a need to do an actual SCROG. The original purpose of a SCROG was to allow you to maintain a strict vertical height and then bring weak florescent lights in as close as 4 inches away from the tops of the plants so as to be able to use those weak lights effectively.

Back
Top Bottom