Search and seizure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama

I have looked for this answer all over the place and it seems that nobody knows for sure. Can a police k-9 unit be used to establish probable cause for a search?
For example, police stop you for a minor traffic infraction. An officer walks his k-9 by your car and the dog alerts. Can they search your vehicle without consent at that point? Can they obtain a warrant based on the dog alerting on your vehicle?
Can a police officer walk a drug detection dog near your house without a warrant? can a warrant be obtained to search your house based on a dogs alert?

along the same lines: say a person had an owned or chartered small aircraft. could it be searched w/o permission or a warrant, even in the owners or renters absence?

Short answer is yes.. BUT you have to know what your rights are first, so you can produce a strong legal defense.
Good info on ACLU website. Research a couple of films called, Busted and Know Your Rights. I strongly recommend buying a copy of each.
Get educated, but don't think the cops are telling you the truth.

I have looked for this answer all over the place and it seems that nobody knows for sure. Can a police k-9 unit be used to establish probable cause for a search?
For example, police stop you for a minor traffic infraction. An officer walks his k-9 by your car and the dog alerts. Can they search your vehicle without consent at that point? Can they obtain a warrant based on the dog alerting on your vehicle?
Can a police officer walk a drug detection dog near your house without a warrant? can a warrant be obtained to search your house based on a dogs alert?

yep

Short answer is yes.. BUT you have to know what your rights are first, so you can produce a strong legal defense.
Good info on ACLU website. Research a couple of films called, Busted and Know Your Rights. I strongly recommend buying a copy of each.
Get educated, but don't think the cops are telling you the truth.

See BUSTED video below....

Your original question is %100 yes. The probable cause dog search is allowed. If you get to this point, you are busted.

Plain sight view first. then axillary senses, then consent, then search.

I'm certainly not in the legal field, but I would have to question the arbitrary use of a drug-sniffing dog for a routine traffic stop.

And as far as consent, never, never consent to a search. That is your 4th Amendment right!

YouTube - ‪10 Rules for Dealing with Police‬‏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom