Seattle Restaurant Owner Wants Marijuana On The Menu

Jacob Redmond

A landmark restaurant could try to push the limits on menu options by putting pot on customers' plates.

If David Meinert has his way, the kitchen at The 5 Point Café will someday mix marijuana into the cuisine.

Meinert keeps his business edgy - much like the clientele at the restaurant - where tourists rub shoulders with motorcycle clubs. The state already licenses him to sell intoxicating liquors, Meinert said, and he wants to see it expanded to pot.

"I think there would have to be a new kind of retail license," he said.

The sky's the limit on how weed could fit into a food menu, and 5 Point Café customers think it could fly.

"I think absolutely," said Caitlyn Hamilton, a 5 Point patron. "I work in the tourism business and we get a lot of people just coming in for cannabis anyway."

However, short order cooks could have a long wait before the law is changed.

I-502 legalized pre-packaged marijuana, but had no provisions for open containers or on-site consumption. Additionally, the law makes no allowance for pot use on a liquor license premise.

Those omissions are a fatal flaw of 502, Meinert said.

"I think we should start pushing the issue now. It's a real thing. Customers want it," Meinert said. "If lawmakers don't do something about, I'll look into running an initiative like they are doing in Denver."

15076.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Seattle restaurant wants marijuana on the menu | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Author: Joel Moreno
Photo Credit: Kaitlyn Barrett
Website: Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Back
Top Bottom