Second Grow - Deep Water Culture, 400w, Black Jack and Friends

Hi all, time for an update.

I am getting worried about the girls. I thought (still think) I have a mag deficiency. I have used two doses of epson salts and it's had no effect.

Here is what I am seeing - a couple leaves on each plant look like this:

IMG_06787.jpg

I am using full strength dyna-gro bloom nutes and 1 tsp epson salts per 5 gallons of water.
Any suggestions?

On to the better news.

The Kali Mist continue to amaze me.

Here is a shot trying to capture the all of the tallest plant. Again I put a 5 gallon bucket in the picture to try to introduce some scale, it's in the foreground at the bottom. This plant is now higher than I can raise the light, it will hit the ceiling soon. It's easily 6'5". And again - covered in buds.

IMG_06747.jpg

Here are some shots of the baby Kali Mist buds. All three remaining plants are covered in these.

IMG_06775.jpg

IMG_06764.jpg

Maybe you can make out all the bud sites in this photo:

IMG_06755.jpg

The Black Jack look great. Very tightly bunched bud sites. Very even canopy:

IMG_06804.jpg

IMG_06795.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help with the mag def.

Have a good one!

Oh hey - one other odd ball thing....

My plants reek positively REEK of ammonia. THey don't smell like any kind of pot at all. An overwhelming smell of ammonia.

Any ideas on that?

Time for another update.

Things are going pretty well. Not perfect but Ok.

I had some Mag deficiency so I added some Cal/Mag to my solution. Well, the Cal/Mag has 2% N, the nutes I am using have some N as well (3 or 5%, I forget which). And now my girls have dark green leaves. I am almost black. N over dose. I have cut the Cal/Mag completely and I am using 3/4 strength nutes. The girls seem happy.

The Kali Mist are amazing. One is super tall - brushing the 8' ceiling in my grow closet (pics below), the other two are just busy pushing out the buds. Tons of small buds. Everywhere there is a branch, there's a bud or two.

The Black Jack are different. Two plants - very uniform. They have fewer buds but sweet cryin' baby jesus they are gonna be monster buds. The buds haven't started swelling yet and already they are a good 6" long. Yes, there are pictures below of those as well.

Without further ado, here are my girls - 25 days into 12/12

This is outside the closet looking in on the Kali Mist. Notice you can't see the top of one of the girls:

IMG_06826.jpg

Here is a view, outside looking in at the Black Jack:

IMG_06834.jpg

The top of the one insanely tall Kali Mist:

The ceiling is 8' and she's about 2" from hitting it.

IMG_06894.jpg

Some Kali Mist bud shots:

IMG_06854.jpg

IMG_06866.jpg

IMG_06885.jpg

Black Jack buds - notice how much tighter they are:

IMG_06846.jpg

It doesn't come out great in this shot because I am using a crappy phone camera but this bud is already about 6" tall:

IMG_06875.jpg

That's all I have for now. I plan on harvesting the Black Jack at 9 weeks or when the trichs say it's time. Kali Mist at 12 weeks. So I still have a long haul in front of me.

Time for bud p0rn.

Black Jack buds, big, thick, tall, tight.

IMG_07017.jpg

IMG_06987.jpg

IMG_06978.jpg

Kali Mist buds; larger than I expected, numerous, covering the plants, spiraling up the nodes, beautiful.

IMG_06932.jpg

IMG_06946.jpg

IMG_06954.jpg

IMG_07004.jpg

I think I am going to have a metric fuck ton of buds from this grow. I am already salivating at the thought of the finger hash from the harvest.

I am at 5 1/2 weeks of 12/12 so about 4 more weeks for the Black Jack, 7-ish weeks more for the Kali Mist. Those buds are going to get nothing but bigger.

So a bittersweet update. It's at 7.5 weeks of 12/12. Trichs were cloudy. A few here and there were amber.

Tonight I took down all the large Black Jack buds. Totally unplanned.

A little background. I did not top any of my plants this grow but my two Black Jacks threw 4 cola like I had topped them. It was beautiful. These colas have been growing and growing. They were monster buds.

I opened my closet tonight and noticed one of the big buds was wilty. I looked closer - I have bad eye sight - and I realized it has mold. I cut it off and realize I have to throw out about 2/3 of it. I am pissed. I start looking at the other large colas - I cut 'em all off. All but one has at least a few spots of mold. I throw away more bud than I harvest. Heart breaking.

The bright spot? The one cola that had no mold? It's the biggest bud I have ever seen. It's about 4-5" in diameter at the fattest part. It's about 15" long. It's just amazing. But it reminds me of the other 4 or 5 similar buds I had to throw away. It's late and I had no plans on harvesting anything tonight so I am tired and didn't take a picture. I will get a picture tomorrow and post it.

A few thoughts on Black Jack;

1. Obviously I don't think it's very mold resistant. My Kali Mist are clean, no mold. Same set up I used last grow with Purple Wreck - no mold.

2. The buds are just amazing.

3. It's a very leafy plant.

I am going to keep an eye on the rest of the Black Jack buds and hopefully can get them to full maturity.

The Kali Mist are superb. The Kali Mist buds come in two flavors; big and fluffy or medium sized are compact. On three plants there are probably 5 big - longer than 10" - buds that are all pretty fluffy. And there are probably 50-75 buds that are about the size of my thumb that are rock solid and dripping with resin.

The Kali Mist are still throwing new pistils. At the same time about 50% of the pistils are orange. I am hoping these guys go another few weeks at least. I'd like to see if the fluffy buds fill in. If I see a hint of mold I will take them down.

I'll get some pictures of the Kali Mist buds tomorrow too.

The Black Jack buds that survived are drying. My job requires that I be on call 24/7 every third week. I am on call this coming week so no smoking. I will post a smoke report in two weeks.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us brother!...

I’m moving this to completed journals now…

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?...

If so, please start one here Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine

Hope all is well in your world…

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom