Second Grow With New 4x4 Indoor Tent Build

Brett Blaze

I am starting my second journal very early this time. I guess I'm making up for starting my first journal late. Dano's White Widow Grow Journal

For this grow I am changing from the 2 x 2 grow closet to a 4 x 4 tent. The Super Closet worked well and I am sure using ScrOG technique it would produce 50% more. The total of my first grow came to 4 oz in 4 sq ft. With ScrOG I estimate 6 oz which is still half of what I want. I live in a desert city and travel for business so I am trying to provide one year's worth of product with one grow during the winter and holiday season. I also want to do both a Sativa and Indica strain. Total needed would be 12 oz (6 oz each strain).

I am also changing to DWC with a 5 gal bucket per plant because I want to insure I don't have to worry about water levels while a travel. My trips are generally less that 4 days total per trip. Towards the end of the first grow I came home to a dry tub after 3 days. I considered soil this time but even if I set up a auto watering system it would be too risky.

As mentioned I am in the early stages and still have items in my cart ready to purchase. Knowing the single most expensive item is the lighting I want to use my existing Kind LED K3 XL300 LED and pair with another to provide a growing area of 4 x 2.5 ft in the back area of the tent. This would limit me to 2 plants. Doable if I can get a minimum of 1 gram per watt or 1.6 oz per sq ft.

First question to the more experienced:

Any comments or suggestions using the 2 Kind LEDs versus replacing with all new lighting. Each Kind covers a 2' x 2.5' area. Going with new lighting would cover the entire 4 x 4 area and allow for 4 plants. I am not against spending $1000 or more for new lighting but if I can get 12 oz with the two Kind LEDs and two plants I can save $600 to $1000. The new lighting needs to be two lamps to allow me to adjust the height over each strain while having two plants of each strain on the sides of the tent. I will be planting Cinderella 99 and Kosher Kush. The Cinderella 99 is a very short sativa strain and the Kosher Kush is actually a tall indica. In a perfect world these two would end up being the same height but as we know growing is no where near a perfect world. Each have the same flowering period.

If I select new lighting, I would like two LEDs that would cover an area of 2' x 4' each. I am considering two HLG 320 Watt XL V2 R-Spec QB Kits for $970 or two Electric Sky 300 V2 for $1400. I am pretty handy with electronics so no problem with the QB kit. But if I can achieve the 12 oz goal with only adding another Kind LED and having only two plants then there's no need to drop $1000 on new lights.

I encourage light option recommendations from the experienced growers.

Here are PAR comparisons. The Electric Sky provides 50% plus more PAR as the Kind LEDs and QBs. But can I still get 12 oz with the Kind LEDs and only two plants?

Lights Combined-3.jpg

Other items:

VIVOSUN 48"x48"x80"
Kind LED K3 Series 2 XL300 LED X 2 or new lighting
iPower 6 Inch 350 CFM Exhaust Fan, Inline Carbon Filter and Ducting
VIVOSUN 6 Inch Clip on Oscillating Fan
Deep Water Culture (DWC) Hydroponic Bucket 5 Gallon, 6 inch
Air Pumps and Air Stones
Hydroponic Grow Rocks

Set up will begin next weekend or as soon as I get the light situation confirmed. I want to begin germination in early October.

I am starting my second journal very early this time. I guess I'm making up for starting my first journal late. Dano's White Widow Grow Journal

For this grow I am changing from the 2 x 2 grow closet to a 4 x 4 tent. The Super Closet worked well and I am sure using ScrOG technique it would produce 50% more. The total of my first grow came to 4 oz in 4 sq ft. With ScrOG I estimate 6 oz which is still less than half of what I want. I live in a desert city and travel for business so I am trying to provide one year's worth of product with one grow during the winter and holiday season. I also want to do both a Sativa and Indica strain. Total needed would be 16 oz (8 oz each strain).

I am also changing to DWC with a 5 gal bucket per plant. Also because I want to insure I don't have to worry about water levels while a travel. My trips a generally less that 4 days total per trip. Towards the end of the first grow I came home to a dry tub after 3 days. I considered soil this time but even if I set up a auto watering system if would be too risky.

As mentioned I am in the early stages and still have items in my cart ready to purchase. Knowing the single most expensive item is the lighting I want to use my existing Kind LED K3 XL300 LED and pair with another to provide an growing area of 4 x 2.5 ft within the back of tent. This would limit me to 2 plans. Doable if I can get a minimum of 1 gram per watt of light or 1.6 oz per sq ft.

First question to the more experienced:

Any comments or suggestions using the 2 Kind LEDS versus replacing with all new lighting. Each Kind cover a 2 x 2.5 area. Going with new lighting would cover the entire 4 x 4 area and allow for 4 plants. I am not against spending $1000 or more for new lighting but if I can get 16 oz with the two Kind LEDs and two plants I can save $600 to $1000. The other advantage of new lighting allows me to better adjust the height over each strain while having two plants of each strain on the sides of the tent. I will be planting Cinderella 99 and Kosher Kush. The Cinderella 99 is a very short sativa strain and the Kosher Kush is actually a tall indica. In a perfect world these two would end up being the same height but as we know growing is no where near a perfect world. Each have the same flowering period.

If I select new lighting, I would like two LEDs that would cover an area of 2 x 4 each. I am considering two HLG 320 Watt XL V2 R-Spec QB Kit Kits $970 or two Electric Sky 300 V2 $1400. I am pretty handy with electronics so no problem with the QB kit. But if I can achieve the 16 oz goal with only adding another Kind LED and having only two plants no need to drop $1000 on new lights.I encourage lights option recommendations from the experienced growers.

Here are PAR comparisons. The Electric Sky provides 50% plus more PAR as the Kind LEDs and QBs. But can I still get 16 oz with the Kind LEDs and only two plants.

Other items:

VIVOSUN 48"x48"x80"
Kind LED K3 Series 2 XL300 LED X 2 or new lighting
iPower 6 Inch 350 CFM Exhaust Fan, Inline Carbon Filter and Ducting
VIVOSUN 6 Inch Clip on Oscillating Fan
Deep Water Culture (DWC) Hydroponic Bucket 5 Gallon, 6 inch
Air Pumps and Air Stones
Hydroponic Grow Rocks

Set up will begin next weekend or as soon as I get the light situation. I want to begin germination in early October.
I'm in.
:passitleft:

Hope ya don't mind me tagging along.

After a long 5 hours and 16 minutes of thinking, recalculating I decided to go with two Mars Hydro Mars Pro II Cree 128s. This will allow for 4 plants.

Mars Hydro-1.jpg

OK so now that I have the lighting figured out the next step is what type of DWC system to install.

300-watt-panels-mars-hydro-mars-pro-ii-cree-128-w-switches-1_1024x1024.jpg

I want a circulation system and looked at Under Current but got sticker shock. While searching I found this system. It has a reservoir outside the tent. This was 1/3 the price. 8 gal buckets. I considered a simpler one with 1" tubing but did not want to risk the tubing getting clogged with roots.

A picture from the vendor web sight.

DWC System.jpg

I may add a 20 gal gravity fed auto top off reservoir to fill the main reservoir. Still prepping for possible business travel. I will provide details when I set it up. I am known to change my mind as I did with the lighting.

61CWjQdqrpL._SL1500_.jpg
61oSJJIWplL._SL1500_.jpg
IMG_4094__76702.1560453626.jpg

I have done similar plumbing and lighting builds with a Salt Water reef aquarium. Here's the link if anyone is interested. Dano's Salt Water Aquarium Build

I used a Tunze Osmolator for an auto top off for tank. I'm sure I could set something up similar in the reservoir tank. It has a sensor for the water level and a float switch backup that shuts off the motor if the level gets too high that attaches to a separate back with a magnet. It is rated to hold securely in an aquarium reservoir through 1/2" of glass so it should stay put on the plastic square side of the main reservoir.

Tunze Osmolator.jpg
6199ziWD87L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
202307-tunzeosmolator-f.jpg
202307-tunze-osmolator-level-controller-auto-top-off-a_1.jpg

I went through a active brain stage last night (probably due to the White Widow) and started questioning why I was going with 4 plants, adding completely new lamps versus matching my existing lamp and the circulation DWC system. My original plan was to add a 4x4 tent and another light. What was I doing? I could end up with 2 to 3 times what I need. I called the lighting and hydroponic stores to see if I could cancel one lamp and change to a two tank system. I couldn’t get a confirmation so I said F it I’ll make a few friends happy. I’m in California where it’s legal but it still has a value so it will make some people happy.

My friend of 51 years (yes I’m that old) said to me today that he wouldn’t turn it away. I said to him “ you don’t even know what strain it is”. He replied “Weed is like sex. I never had some I didn’t enjoy.”

So for now I’m still going with 4 plants. Good thing because I got an email that the lights have shipped and due at my house tomorrow. Crap that was fast.

Happy smoking. Glad you could join me.:passitleft:

Never fails. When you need something quick it never gets to you in time. When you plan a few days it arrives at your door the next day.

I am traveling for a few days and planned all the items to arrive at the earliest Thursday. Amazon is easy they give me a choice to have items delivered on Saturdays which works well for me. I thought I had everything planned well. Lights were suppose to ship from Oregon, a 1000 miles away, which takes a few days for Ground service. Apparently they also ship from just 100 miles from me so regular ground FedEx turns into next day. I have to commend the vendor on getting an order I placed on Sunday to arrive Tuesday. Luckily I was able to put up a vacation hold on the FedEx website until I get home. The 20 gallon top off reservoir also showed up. This had a estimated delivery between Sept 27 and Oct 2. Looks like it also shipped from about 100 miles away. WTF?

The hydro tank system is expected next week so I’ll get the tent, exhaust and lights up this weekend.

Got a bunch of stuff delivered over the last few days so ready to get the tent set up.

I chose a Vivosun tent because honestly every tent looked at had just average reviews. This one seemed the best for the money.

IMG-0491-2.jpg

IMG-0493-2.jpg

IMG-0496-2.jpg

IMG-0498-2.jpg

IMG-0499-2.jpg

Total time to set up was under 30 minutes.

I'm in a 4x4 and run 2 300 watt leds its almost overkill. Your set up looks great your light choices are good. I also have my lights setup at diff levels its a must lol. Best of luck on your grow ill tag along

Never fails. When you need something quick it never gets to you in time. When you plan a few days it arrives at your door the next day.

I am traveling for a few days and planned all the items to arrive at the earliest Thursday. Amazon is easy they give me a choice to have items delivered on Saturdays which works well for me. I thought I had everything planned well. Lights were suppose to ship from Oregon, a 1000 miles away, which takes a few days for Ground service. Apparently they also ship from just 100 miles from me so regular ground FedEx turns into next day. I have to commend the vendor on getting an order I placed on Sunday to arrive Tuesday. Luckily I was able to put up a vacation hold on the FedEx website until I get home. The 20 gallon top off reservoir also showed up. This had a estimated delivery between Sept 27 and Oct 2. Looks like it also shipped from about 100 miles away. WTF?

The hydro tank system is expected next week so I’ll get the tent, exhaust and lights up this weekend.
Lol most of my orders pass by my house to the main hub about a hr east then gets checked then ships out. Why can't I just meet the trucker on the highway?????

Got the rest up the equipment I was expecting today . The DWC system comes next week.

First thing was to get the exhaust hooked up. iPower 6 Inch Air Carbon Filter and 350 CFM fan.

IMG-0510.jpg

IMG-0516.jpg

IMG-0518.jpg

I'm looking into an addition crossbar. I'll know more once I get the lights up.

IMG-0504-2.jpg

IMG-0520.jpg

Checked out the lights.

IMG-0532-2.jpg

IMG-0533.jpg

Also got a few toys I'll be hooking up.

IMG-0524.jpg

IMG-0526.jpg

Installed the lights this morning.

The lights come with metal cables and spring hooks.
IMG-0547.jpg

I added some rope hangers.
IMG-0548.jpg

I don't like how low the light hangs with the included cables.
IMG-0549.jpg

I have some small safety cables but only enough for one of the lights.
IMG-0551.jpg

IMG-0552.jpg

IMG-0553.jpg

I ended up purchasing some more metal spring hooks but couldn't find pre-made short safety cables so I bought parts to make my own safety cables.

61gTJjSlbiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61D4T4no9RL._SL1500_.jpg
41XyIA2QUsL.jpg

It looks pretty stable with both lights hung. When I get the parts for the short cables I will raise the right light to match the left.
IMG-0554.jpg

IMG-0567.jpg

Even with the one vent open I have good negative pressure.
IMG-0568.jpg

Installed the oscillating fan and letting the tent run to test the temperature and RH. After an hour it was at 79 degrees F and 39% RH. Indoor room temperature is 75 F and 41%. I have a humidifier I can run to increase the RH. It's pretty dry where I live.
IMG-0570.jpg

I received the DWC kit today and was a little disappointed about two areas so far. First thing was when trying to remove one of the lids that came already attached to the bucket was nearly impossible. I am not a small guy and there was no way this lid was coming off without damaging the lid.

The lid has two areas and is designed to allow one of the areas to lift up. Ideally it would be the small area without the basket, as was shown in his video, but the smaller lid is not designed for this.

lid.jpg

The larger side has a piece that you tear off allowing easy lid removal. The smaller side doesn't.

IMG-0580.jpg

IMG-0572.jpg

Without being able to remove this from the smaller lid it has a raised lip that locks the lid in place. These are removed with the piece you tear off the larger side.
IMG-0575.jpg

I was thinking about cutting a 3" hole in the smaller lid anyway and now I have to in order to easily view the root area.
3 inch hole.jpg

I found two things to cover the hole, Either a 3" mail tube cap (which I will paint black) or a cup holder that fits in a 3" hole.
713bXb8e4XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61moNGUX3bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The other issue I have is he used zip ties to secure the basket. Since I need the basket to be removable, removing the zip tie leaves a whole, although small, it will let some light in. I learned from my first grow even a small amount of light can cause algae growth.
IMG-0581.jpg

IMG-0583.jpg

I have some peg whole plugs that are use in cabinets which will work with a little super glue to plug the holes.

IMG-0590.jpg

Until next time.

Hey there, Ill tag along for the grow if you dont mind. Your new setup sounds similar to my 4x4. I went with 2 plants and a combo of LED/HID. I was able to get 19oz cured. Your 12oz goal is definitely attainable. I think I missed where you mentioned if youre going with 2 or 4 plants? I found 2 was plenty for the 4x4 space. In my new grow Im sticking with all LED, approx 750w (at the wall). Feel free to check my journal #4 for some ideas or thoughts. I built my rdwc system from scratch. Im looking forward to tagging along and seeing what you can pull out of your setup.

Happy Growing!

Hey there, Ill tag along for the grow if you dont mind. Your new setup sounds similar to my 4x4. I went with 2 plants and a combo of LED/HID. I was able to get 19oz cured. Your 12oz goal is definitely attainable. I think I missed where you mentioned if youre going with 2 or 4 plants? I found 2 was plenty for the 4x4 space. In my new grow Im sticking with all LED, approx 750w (at the wall). Feel free to check my journal #4 for some ideas or thoughts. I built my rdwc system from scratch. Im looking forward to tagging along and seeing what you can pull out of your setup.

Happy Growing!

I still haven't decided if I will do two or four. I will most likely still set up the 4 bucket system and just use two on opposite corners with proper ScroG technique. Still up in the air.

So I have gathered all the packages that arrive this week and I think I must have been stoned and went nuts on Amazon a few nights this week. This doesn't include the DWC system. I can't even remember what I ordered. :thedoubletake:

Oh well this should be fun. Back later after I unpack all of this.

IMG-0595.jpg

Not so bad once unpacked. A few boxes were unrelated. Don't remember order those either.

The smaller boxes upfront are hoses and power cords. The large one in the back are 2 extra buckets if I decide to build a 2 bucket version. Mostly tools and accessories for the build.

IMG-0596.jpg

Saturday October 5th. Big day and start of the rest of the grow tent. But first some deep breathing exercises.

A lot of pictures coming in this post. Hopefully I can remember all the details.

Lighting:

First thing I needed to do was get the lights finished. I bought some coated steel cable and crimp sleeves but over spec'd. The cable on top is what I used on the other light. Also the crimping tool (blue handle) was huge.
IMG-0600.jpg

IMG-0602.jpg

It takes two hands and a knee to work this crimping tool.
IMG-0604.jpg

A few more tokes and voila four new cables.
IMG-0606.jpg

IMG-0607.jpg

IMG-0610.jpg

The spring broke on the snap hook. So not quite finished with the lights yet. Ordered new snap hooks.
IMG-0614.jpg

The new cabling is on the right.

IMG-0618.jpg

Back
Top Bottom