Second Outdoor Desert Autoflower In Arizona

Quick Sat update. 100° yesterday, only supposed to be 96° today, LOL.

Blood Bananas buds are noticeably bulking up, I can notice a difference from the Wednesday picture.

Both photos are starting to get yellow leaves on the bottom. I wasn’t sure how to handle nutes on such a long grow so I kind of went a little slower, and I’m only on week three veg of the GH formula, and the lowest starting point of the Simply Professional at 5 gm per gallon. I’m thinking the yellow leaves means I need to increase the nutes? They’re still in full sun right now and doing great otherwise. I’m also going to add more mulch around the pots today as they settled with watering. I try and keep the outside pot moist to help keep the roots cool.

Thanks! The buds on this are turning out much nicer than my winter grow. Obviously the heat is better than the cold.

Thanks! The buds on this are turning out much nicer than my winter grow. Obviously the heat is better than the cold.
Are you planning to grow outdoors during June, July & August ? If so I sure want to follow that. I'm close by & have been afraid to even attempt an outdoor grow. I only do Photo's though; so a little different.

Are you planning to grow outdoors during June, July & August ?
I’m going to try ;) The summer grow is photos. My autos should be done by the time the real heat hits.
That’s what I would do. Increase it a little at at a time and see how it does.
Thanks! Hungry little girls, lol. I always see everyone saying to use less nutes than recommended, but I’ve been using full strength on everything and it seems fine. I’m wondering if it’s growing in the sun causing it to need more nutes.

I always see everyone saying to use less nutes than recommended, but I’ve been using full strength on everything and it seems fine.
I generally try to follow the manufacturer‘s feeding schedule. They do a lot of research and testing and want you to have a successful grow when using their products, so following their schedule is usually a good place to start. You may have to tweak it along the way but I figure that’s kind of a given.

I’m going to try ;) The summer grow is photos. My autos should be done by the time the real heat hits.

Thanks! Hungry little girls, lol. I always see everyone saying to use less nutes than recommended, but I’ve been using full strength on everything and it seems fine. I’m wondering if it’s growing in the sun causing it to need more nutes.
When you start that grow please tag me in. I want to see if this is even possible & how you go about it. Thanks !

When you start that grow please tag me in. I want to see if this is even possible & how you go about it. Thanks !
It’s actually in this journal, so you’re already tagged in ;) It’s the Durban poison and Tangerine Dream in the last pics I posted.

Oops. Misjudged when to water. Checked them before work today and thought they would be ok until tmo morning but came home to a severely wilted plant.
This is the PP, the BB was just starting to wilt. Even though they are due for nutes, I just gave them plain water because I figured it wouldn’t be good to fertilize them when they’re distressed. Hopefully they bounce back.

I'm sure they'll bounce back fine!
I’m only on week three veg of the GH formula, and the lowest starting point of the Simply Professional at 5 gm per gallon.
On plants that size I would be at whatever the max veg strength is before they give you flowering instructions. Those are mature plants and can handle a lot more. Up the strength with each watering and keep an eye on them as BigD mentioned.
I always see everyone saying to use less nutes than recommended
Some manufacturers used to be known for needing their schedule cut in half, but the best thing to do is read the plants. Whenever they start to look hungry (yellowing lowers for example) it's definitely time to bump up.
I’m wondering if it’s growing in the sun causing it to need more nutes.
That could have something to do with it!

I generally try to follow the manufacturer‘s feeding schedule. They do a lot of research and testing and want you to have a successful grow when using their products, so following their schedule is usually a good place to start. You may have to tweak it along the way but I figure that’s kind of a given.
Sorry, I thought I responded to this earlier. That’s a good way to look at it and makes a lot of sense. And I guess the learning when and how to tweak it will come with experience.

how to tweak it will come with experience.
Indeed it does. There are so many variables to growing. You grow outside in a desert climate. I grow outside in a humid sub-tropical climate. Shed is in a Mediterranean climate. Lots of folks grow indoors with all sorts of climate controls. You grow in peat, I’m in soil. The differences in our water is a huge factor. It’s hard for the manufacturer to come up with a feeding schedule that works for everyone. That’s why you have to tweak your feeding to match your plants needs. As Shed mentioned, read your plants. They’ll let ya know what they need. Of course reading the plants has its own set of challenges, but who doesn’t like a good challenge.

Wednesday update:
High today supposed to be 101° F, current temp is 89° F. Humidity 18%.
Current dewpoint for Mdlroad is 33.6°
Sunny with light winds.
Autos are at 83 days and photos at 49 days.

As soon as I get the new 50% shade up in my garden I am moving PP in there. She starting to take over more than her half of the box, and is shading the BB in the afternoon.

I pulled them out to fertilize today. They both got GH week 5 (last mid bloom before the late bloom part)

Here’s PP.

BB is still packing weight on the buds. She is looking a little ragged with some yellowing leaves. Not sure if that is normal for this stage or what she needs if not?

Thought about jumping to the week 6 (late bloom) for the BB since she’s ahead, maybe I should next time? I’m not sure if the schedule should be modified or sped up for autos, and I can’t seem to find info on that in my research. What do you guys think based on her bud pics?

Runty still small but budding now.

And the photos are still doing pretty good. The Durban got GH week 4 veg yesterday (up from week 3) and I’ll bump it up to week 5 veg next time based on Shed and BigD’s suggestions. Tangerine is looking a little lime green, she got 7.5 gm per gal if the Simply Professional (up from 5gm last time), and will get the max listed dose of 10 gm next time. Hopefully that will help. They are still at 1.5 days between water but thinking I should up pot soon anyways just based on their size for a 1 gal pot? I did mix some of the Promix Moisture soil into those pots so that may be holding onto the water a little longer.

As always I’m open to any tips, criticisms etc. That’s the only way I’m going to learn besides trial and error ;) And I’d rather not error if I can help it, lol.

The autos (Runty excluded) are looking great! Love those solid colas built by the sun. :thumb: And once autos go into flower, I used to feed them pretty much like photos as they aren't usually that much faster to flower. Unless they're fast flowering, and then you factor that into the nutes.

The photos will appreciate the bump in nutes as they start the push for the last month of growing daylight.

Wednesday update:
High today supposed to be 101° F, current temp is 89° F. Humidity 18%.
Current dewpoint for Mdlroad is 33.6°
Sunny with light winds.
Autos are at 83 days and photos at 49 days.

As soon as I get the new 50% shade up in my garden I am moving PP in there. She starting to take over more than her half of the box, and is shading the BB in the afternoon.

I pulled them out to fertilize today. They both got GH week 5 (last mid bloom before the late bloom part)

Here’s PP.

BB is still packing weight on the buds. She is looking a little ragged with some yellowing leaves. Not sure if that is normal for this stage or what she needs if not?

Thought about jumping to the week 6 (late bloom) for the BB since she’s ahead, maybe I should next time? I’m not sure if the schedule should be modified or sped up for autos, and I can’t seem to find info on that in my research. What do you guys think based on her bud pics?

Runty still small but budding now.

And the photos are still doing pretty good. The Durban got GH week 4 veg yesterday (up from week 3) and I’ll bump it up to week 5 veg next time based on Shed and BigD’s suggestions. Tangerine is looking a little lime green, she got 7.5 gm per gal if the Simply Professional (up from 5gm last time), and will get the max listed dose of 10 gm next time. Hopefully that will help. They are still at 1.5 days between water but thinking I should up pot soon anyways just based on their size for a 1 gal pot? I did mix some of the Promix Moisture soil into those pots so that may be holding onto the water a little longer.

As always I’m open to any tips, criticisms etc. That’s the only way I’m going to learn besides trial and error ;) And I’d rather not error if I can help it, lol.
I saw it on YouTube video and several other places that once an auto is in flower not much difference. I see a lot of the new Arizona frost in your neck of the woods

Back
Top Bottom