Second Time Starting A Grow: Acapulco Gold

Coming along nicely. Gave the other to my buddy to put outside.

367CFF10-5636-44E0-BA06-D23075974858.jpeg

That's my cloning method with pics.
That's everything literally everything you need.
Check it out, pan down to cloning methods there are lots.
Anything you don't understand or just need clarification with just ask.
Do it this way though @Bill284 that way I get a notice right away.
Hope your having a great day. :ciao:

That's my cloning method with pics.
That's everything literally everything you need.
Check it out, pan down to cloning methods there are lots.
Anything you don't understand or just need clarification with just ask.
Do it this way though @Bill284 that way I get a notice right away.
Hope your having a great day. :ciao:
Thank you Bill, appreciate the info. I like the way this plant is growing, so would like to try cloning.

Hi @Foss, here's my cloning technique:

This method produces near 100% success. It's low-tech crazy easy if you follow the right steps. Total time, cuttings to ready-to-plant clones is 2 weeks.

Clones need warmth, humidity, and light. You should also use a good rooting hormone; I'm using Clonex gel. I use 3" pots for the cuttings, and my medium is high-quality coir with some perlite. I add a slight amount of nutes to the medium. I take cuttings of fresh not woody stem with my trimming scissors. I sterilize the scissors with a lighter prior to using. (There's more cutting details – let me know if you need more info.)

I water the medium and drain before placing cuttings in the pots. I also use a wooden pencil end or small stick, about 1/4" dia., to poke a hole in the center of the medium in each pot, 1" depth, where the cutting will go. I sterilize the pencil end with a lighter prior to use.

I use a DIY humidity dome made out of a clear plastic tote bin, inverted, with some 1/4" holes drilled in the ends of the bin to allow some air flow. The bin sits on the lid of the bin, with a 1x2" wooden board at each end to provide a gap for air flow into the bin. The cuttings in 3" pots are placed in rows on the lid.

I mist/spray the plants and whole interior of the bin w/ purified water, including the lid (as a reservoir), multiple times a day. Avoid letting the environment dry out. The bin is on a very flat table in my clone/veg greenhouse, protected from the sun because that would be too hot for the clones.

I have a 24w LED grow light directly above the bin, on a timer, so the clones get plenty of light all day long (I'm off grid, so conservative w/ power). I have a 2nd low-wattage bulb that provides night-interruption on another timer, to prevent flowering. Our ambient daytime temps are consistently 75-80, a bit more in summer. I cut back some on the mist/spray as the clones get toward 2 weeks in the bin. At around a week and a half, I also give the pots some purified water.

Toward the end, I'm looking for white roots coming out the bottom of the 3" pots, then they're ready for planting into a growing medium in 1 gal. pots. I do this planting toward the end of the day, when the sun is low, and then continue misting the clones for a few days.

My last batch was 100%, 9 out of 9... pics below.

Here's the dome, on a leveled table, protected from the sun above by cardboard. The light on the right is a SANSI 24w LED grow light, the one on the left and inexpensive 13w LED daylight spectrum bulb for night interruption lighting (prevent flowering). I put some ag lime around the dome to ward off slugs.
clone_bin2.jpg

Here's the 9 clones at around 2 weeks, 3 different genetics... all developed nice roots. There are 3 little seed sprout pots in there as well... perfect safe environment for them to develop.
clone_bin1.jpg

Here's the 9 clones after a couple weeks growing in 1 gal. pots. I use coco on the surface as a mulch, to hold moisture and protect the soil from the sun's heat. At this time of year, the sun is directly overhead.
finishes_clones1.jpg

lookin' good! I see you have a bit of curl on the top leaf tips. I had this not long ago and decided to flush for a while, which seemed to do the trick. I may have had a sodium problem due to a fert mistake in my case.

Changing light cycle today. I don‘t have room for it to get any taller.

D006A8AD-2A3A-4D6B-B86A-8FE81D662960.jpeg
Good morning @Foss :ciao:
If you are just flipping now you might have an issue.
By my calculation by the time she doubles in size she will be a touch too tall.:rofl:
I'd start LST on that beast asap.:Namaste:
Excellent work my friend.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Is your light at max height? Fyi, my plants don't double in size when I move them to the flowering house, but then again, I leave them in veg longer than "normal".

Is your light at max height? Fyi, my plants don't double in size when I move them to the flowering house, but then again, I leave them in veg longer than "normal".
I think they might stretch a little more than the 6" available.
Just a guess. :rofl:

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

I'm not an indoor grower, but just thinking... what if you increased the daily dark period, in which case flowering would continue normally but there would be less vertical growth, because less light. Then go back to 12/12 toward the end of flowering. Or... is the wattage adjustable on your light(s)?

Hi @Foss, here's my cloning technique:

This method produces near 100% success. It's low-tech crazy easy if you follow the right steps. Total time, cuttings to ready-to-plant clones is 2 weeks.

Clones need warmth, humidity, and light. You should also use a good rooting hormone; I'm using Clonex gel. I use 3" pots for the cuttings, and my medium is high-quality coir with some perlite. I add a slight amount of nutes to the medium. I take cuttings of fresh not woody stem with my trimming scissors. I sterilize the scissors with a lighter prior to using. (There's more cutting details – let me know if you need more info.)

I water the medium and drain before placing cuttings in the pots. I also use a wooden pencil end or small stick, about 1/4" dia., to poke a hole in the center of the medium in each pot, 1" depth, where the cutting will go. I sterilize the pencil end with a lighter prior to use.

I use a DIY humidity dome made out of a clear plastic tote bin, inverted, with some 1/4" holes drilled in the ends of the bin to allow some air flow. The bin sits on the lid of the bin, with a 1x2" wooden board at each end to provide a gap for air flow into the bin. The cuttings in 3" pots are placed in rows on the lid.

I mist/spray the plants and whole interior of the bin w/ purified water, including the lid (as a reservoir), multiple times a day. Avoid letting the environment dry out. The bin is on a very flat table in my clone/veg greenhouse, protected from the sun because that would be too hot for the clones.

I have a 24w LED grow light directly above the bin, on a timer, so the clones get plenty of light all day long (I'm off grid, so conservative w/ power). I have a 2nd low-wattage bulb that provides night-interruption on another timer, to prevent flowering. Our ambient daytime temps are consistently 75-80, a bit more in summer. I cut back some on the mist/spray as the clones get toward 2 weeks in the bin. At around a week and a half, I also give the pots some purified water.

Toward the end, I'm looking for white roots coming out the bottom of the 3" pots, then they're ready for planting into a growing medium in 1 gal. pots. I do this planting toward the end of the day, when the sun is low, and then continue misting the clones for a few days.

My last batch was 100%, 9 out of 9... pics below.

Here's the dome, on a leveled table, protected from the sun above by cardboard. The light on the right is a SANSI 24w LED grow light, the one on the left and inexpensive 13w LED daylight spectrum bulb for night interruption lighting (prevent flowering). I put some ag lime around the dome to ward off slugs.
clone_bin2.jpg

Here's the 9 clones at around 2 weeks, 3 different genetics... all developed nice roots. There are 3 little seed sprout pots in there as well... perfect safe environment for them to develop.
clone_bin1.jpg

Here's the 9 clones after a couple weeks growing in 1 gal. pots. I use coco on the surface as a mulch, to hold moisture and protect the soil from the sun's heat. At this time of year, the sun is directly overhead.
finishes_clones1.jpg
Very well done! Question do your clones go limp and look like they’re dying? I don’t believe I’ve change my method. I used to get 75% success rate and now that the world is different and we use LED lights the number has dropped to probably 10%. It was getting quite frustrating. I can’t wait to follow these instructions to see my outcome get better. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Back
Top Bottom