420 Magazine Background

Seed caps

cbgb

hey 420 !!!!! at what point is it necessary to help remove the seed cap ? i have a lot of grows where i have helped the cap off. i just planted two beans after germinating them via the sponge method . they germed in about 72hrs w/ a root tip about 3/4 -1 inch long ... placed them in soil last night with the seed just under a light coating of soil. they both broke thru the surface overnight and probably grew about 1/4 to 1/2 " i can see the cap is starting to open more. the reason i ask is because last time i helped the cap off i lost 1 of the plants cotyledon leaves (that plant actually did very well ! ) thanks !!!! :thanks: :Namaste:

Curly Beaver

I generally spray a little water on them to soften them up and come back in an hour or so. If they haven't fallen off they can be picked off very easy.

cbgb

@ curly thanks.... how long should a cap fall off on its own ... i am sure it varies but as a rule of thumb.

Curly Beaver

@ curly thanks.... how long should a cap fall off on its own ... i am sure it varies but as a rule of thumb.
Since having a couple die with the cap on I don't chance it. If they are still on when they pop up, I take them off.

cbgb

@ curly , thanks for all your help. so two beans germed on a sponge (silver haze), like i always do and like you , i usually always help with the seed cap. yesterday i sprayed the two with a little water and not too long after the cap was easy to remove on one seed.. its cotyledon leaves were green and healthy . the other seed (an unusually small seed btw) no luck ...... so with a little effort i managed to get the cap off but i am afraid i waited too long or took it off too soon ????. the cotyledon leaves on this one are yellow as seen in the photo. my question to you is should i toss it and not waste my time , give it some time or plant another bean. thanks for all your help curly ! :Namaste:

Top Bottom