Seed germination in a hydro system

The easiest way i have found to grow plants in my Dwc system is simple and effective..
I let my seeds soak in tap water overnight maybe 2 nights till they crack and drop.
From there they go in a strong papertowel i find the real cheap ones and non scented work the best..
Anyhow i leave them in the papertowel long enough for them to grow a good taproot somewhere around a half inch long..
Which i put in a rapid rooter.. I take a rapidrooter and crack it open put the root in it and close it leaveing the seed just flush with the top of the rooter and place on a small layer of hydroton in my netpot and backfill it..
Trick is do not soak ur beanlings it is very easy to waterlog a bean and the problem i think most peeps have with germing beans in general once u have taproot all u want to to is keep the medium moist and force that taproot to go searching for water..
So i leave my water levels just right so im keeping my rock my rooter is sitting on just brown moist not soaking wet just moist will keep the rooter wet enuff and give u the desired effect i just explained.
Alot of peeps will tell u an inch below the bottom of pot of at the bottom of the pot but the strength of ur air pump is really going to be your decideing factor on where u want ur water level especially for a beanling..
If ur pump is strong enough to push bubbles up into that rock and keep it moist thats all u need doesnt matter if its 3 inches or on the bottom of the pot make sence? And hope that helped..
Heres a pic of a beanling i have growing now done the way i had just described..
Good luck.
Well scratch that i gotta do a little more looking and learn how to upload photos here at this site but it was pretty much self explanatory i think.. Anyhow good muck man once u see the roots hit that water expect serious growth and expect it fast.
Peace

I follow these exact steps myself and have not had a single seed fail on me..

I don't soak in a cup or a paper towel before planting.

My reason for this is its not required at all , people pretend it is / think it is and soak and tell others to soak like its a secret to making good seeds pop.

Its not , it *might be* a secret to make weak almost non viable seeds spout , who knows.
Instead of pre sprouting I water the seed in the pot / container / RR they start in , doing it this way insures the tap root will not be damaged.

In short if the seed is Viable it will sprout pre soaked or not

I place the dry seed in its first small container to sprout in , this time I used RR'ers and placed the seed in and watered it down and left without a light for a few days.

The photos at the top of the page show the RR'ers

Next time I will flip the RR over so it stands upright and then drop the seed in. Being my first time with RRers I made a hydroton bed to keep them upright.

Back
Top Bottom