Seed Quality?

Buddy21

How does someone know if a seed will sprout by the way a seed looks.Because I just got around 500 seeds from a friend that look anywhere from white/green to black.

Any help ill be Greatly Appreciated.:peace:

Ok.And there is no way to tell the Breed of Seed by looking at it is there?

You can further narrow them down by tossing the white/light green ones. Look for the dark seeds or seeds with distinct marbling/tiger stripes.

I also was under the impression that the lighter colored/ light green young seeds will not sprout. However, I recently put a few in wet paper towel and had a couple pop. They are now healthy seedlings. They germinated at a much lower rate than mature seeds, but I wouldn't just toss them without at least trying. You may be surprised at a few. Worst case scenario you throw away a few wet seeds as opposed to a few dry seeds.

I absolutely agree MG. I would certainly try them if it's all you had. Nothing saying green won't germ. They probably will, but dude has 500 seeds. He can probably afford to be picky about the seeds he chooses to start.

I see what you mean brothergrimm. When it's a must I always start with the best looking seeds and then throw in a few I don't think will pop- if they do it's simply a bonus. I don't know if it's everyone's experience, but from what I've seen the bigger the seed (at least of the same strain) the quicker it pops as well. Anyone else observed this?

A seed that is just light green but still has it's shell is still viable. A seed that is light green but has lost it's outer shell is another story, these will not germinate.

I can agree though, usually I germ. them all regardless and see what sprouts. :Rasta:

I am pretty sure the first time I grew I picked out all the "healthy" looking white seeds before I knew any better. I had 100% germ rate, although, it took 7 days or so. The first seeds I received from a reputable bank really opened my eyes to how much of a difference good genes and quality care can make. My bank seeds popped in twelve hours, after soaking for twelve hours. What a difference!

Huh I tossed about 80 away so im down to around 400 seeds I think..A friend of mine just went around to some of his friends and bummed seeds off of them..But I only managed to find about 30 with the Tiger or Zebra pattern on them..Along with about 100 small Black 1's & a few Grey 1's..I have 30 of the Biggest ones that have the Stripes on them germinating right now.Im Anxious to see what I get at the End.

I absolutely agree MG. I would certainly try them if it's all you had. Nothing saying green won't germ. They probably will, but dude has 500 seeds. He can probably afford to be picky about the seeds he chooses to start.

True im Not going to be to Picky cuz after this it's going to be a Real Pain for me to get Beans..Because of the Fact that my Friend that I usually get the Beans from is always buizy.But if I cant get hooked up,ill go buy some.Somewhere

I believe that the tiger stripes can be a strain thing. Still a good choice. Any of the black or gray seeds you mention sound perfectly usable. If you have 400 seeds I think you will find a killer strain you like, and eventually, selectively pollinate some flowers to replenish your stock. You should be with seeds indefinitely. Are you saying you are worried about running out of seeds?

I believe that the tiger stripes can be a strain thing. Still a good choice. Any of the black or gray seeds you mention sound perfectly usable. If you have 400 seeds I think you will find a killer strain you like, and eventually, selectively pollinate some flowers to replenish your stock. You should be with seeds indefinitely. Are you saying you are worried about running out of seeds?

Yeah cuz i plan on planting at least 50 at a Time :cheesygrinsmiley::grinjoint:

Im down to 250,60 are Germinating now..& 6 are in Soil n im just waiting for them to Sprout..I put them outside about 45min ago..Does anybody know when the one's
Outside will sprout out of the Soil?

It will take from 3 to 5 days, perhaps longer, depending on soil temps and night-time temps.

Ok cuz I live in the Upper Pacific N-West & the weather has ben steady at 55*F & abround 45* at night.. & the Humidity & 50-65%..

Back
Top Bottom