Seed Question

Malcolm

Is it possible for a particular strain to be genetically altered so that it produces seeds each time it is grown and flowered? I acquired a few seeds of what was said to be "Jack Herrer". Each one grew into lovely females but when flowered, became hermie and seeded. Clones that were taken from these same ladies before flowering also ended up seeded. There was no light leaks or other factors that would have created a stress situation and there were other ladies of different lineage within the room that were just fine at harvest and without seeds. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you...
Malcolm:smokin:

Yes it is common for the clones to take its genetics from whatever strain it was bred with. I'm growing out C99's crossed with pineapple and grapefruit and the clones have taken on different phenos from their lineage, one even has broader leaves from the indica influence in the grapefruit pheno but they all stayed female. I'm apt to think it's something in your grow that stressed em out if they turn hermie. Besides light leaks, a too rich in hi N grow medium could cause males, hermies; it happened to me with a rich compost. The only other thing that comes to mind considering your other strains in the same exact grow situation, is that the seeds were bad or stored wrong and stressed out during germination which would cause hermies or males therefore passing on its poor genetics to clones. Just my thoughts and findings, hope this helps.

Actually plants are undetermined until around 3weeks old then they decide to be female or male depending on the environment...and clones are exact copies of the mother plant its impossible to take a clone from a mother and the clone be a different pheno...so idk what your talking about there vampire...maybe your talking about seedlings...and high P in veg or high N in flowering can make them hermie your correct...but also it might not be your fault at all...you see if that plant was grown over and over for multiple generations and had an improper environment it would have a more developed hermie trait to ensure it's species survival in the "wild" which could have resulted in the offspring (seeds) of those plants to get that gene because over generations it was bred into a dominant trait (not intentionally) and all seeds coming from that plant will hermie until you breed that gene out through selective breeding....but that would take alot of time...me personally I'd just toss it and get something else...My .02 cents... Good luck

Back
Top Bottom