Seed question

stoned snake

i know this is stupid but i couldnt find what i was looking for when i did the search

my setup
i have 2 nice 2 ft tall plants in my grow box i keep the light on 24/7
here is my seed question: iv had quite alot of seeds and i manage to keep only a few surviving idk why so heres what i do i take a peper towel soak it on water then put seeds on it and put it in a ziplock now about a week later i go back and look i take the seed that ha its root poping out about 15 mm out of th3e shell and plant it it grows fine but the other seeds only had their roots coming out only like 5 mm out of the shell so i decided to keep them in the bag for a bit longer (i dont open the bag verry often) now i go back 4 days later and look at them the roots dont look like they came out too much so im like what the hell so i stuck them in a pot of soil i go back 2 das after that and look at the seeds they havent changed so i take 1 and squese it and all i see come out is white much and the root breaks off i open the seed and i just see just white mush of what used to b the seedling what am i doing wrong?

You are leaving the seeds in the bag to long, soak the seeds in water for 8 to 12 hours, Then put them in a paper towel and keep it wet but not dripping wet..!, for 2 to 4 days in the ziplock bag and then plant the sprouted seeds only let the root get 1" to 3" inches long...
Try that...

MV...

1 to 3 inches? u meen mm rite?

and should i just plant them when i see the root 1st coming out or should i plant them when its out a bitmore?

you dont even really need to germinate them, I prefer to just stick the seeds straight into the soil, that way you dont have to touch them and there is no transplanting.

Germinating first is usually always more sucessful then just sticking the seeds into the soil. You are doing the bag and paper towel method correctly, you are just waiting too long to plant them. When you first see the white root, called the "taproot", plant them. Place them taproot down just below the grade of the soil. DO NOT BURY the seed. I usually make it so I can just see the very top of the seed casing. In addition, I like to put a little of my breath in the bag for added CO2. Some people will say this does nothing, but it certainly can't hurt and I have always seen germination in under 5 days, so I continue to do it.

Also, by germinating the seeds you eliminate any chances that you may want to "take a peak" at their progress and dig them up to see if they are growing. This is the biggest mistake that people make when they do not germinate. They get anxious, think nothing is growing, and end up just having to know whats going on, so they dig them up to check progress thus destroying any chances of the seed sprouting.

By germinating first you know the seeds you are planting are in fact alive and will make plants if you give them a chance.

ty all

umm it gets mushy after a couple of days

what gets mushy?. . . the seeds. . . should be no mush. . . . just taproot springs forth and then you plant. . . too much water maybe. . IDK, never had mush. . . should be no mush. I check the seeds 24-36 after I place them in a moist paper towel, then I check once a night after that. . . some germinate quickly, and I will pull and plant them as they come. after 5 days I throw the rest out, as I would normally have what I need in that 3 to 5 day period. . . :peace:

you dont even really need to germinate them, I prefer to just stick the seeds straight into the soil, that way you dont have to touch them and there is no transplanting.

i totally agree with abstract on this one hehe
no touching.
let them do it the way theyve been doing it for like millions of years:laughtwo:

the main reason for me i guess, is clumsiness.

during the act of having to touch/handle/move/look at the seed...i will kill it.
im very familar with this "mush" you speak of... for after killing a freshly germed baby...it often appears.

now i just stick em in tha dirt! :D
if it dont sprout owell im out a plastic cup full of dirt and one weak bean... try again.

wait so if i touch it wit my finget it kills it??????
if so i know what iv been doing wrong

well, you should really avoid touching the roots as a rule. . . but I have briefly touched a root here and there. . . I don't see this as to big a deal. . . but I always clean my hands prior to playing with my girls. . . and like I said before. . . as a general rule, try and not touch the roots. I have a big pair of tweezers I use for my seeds and other plant needs. . . :peace:

i see
thx

Back
Top Bottom