Seed Rolling

BTzGrow

I just came across a post on FB on a group page called Micro Growers Guild. It is from a new member and appears to be from eastern Europe.
Just want to throw this out and see if anyone has seen or hear of this before.

First take a dry seed and gently roll the nut.
This is what the contents looks like. Put the green nucleolus into a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water
For 4 hours soaking in oxygen bubbles and it looks like this.
Another 4hrs and it drops the green insides, and looks like this.
After another 8 hours, the nut is no longer a nut.
All the steps together look like this.

I don't know if this is really a valid technique, and figured I'd just throw this out and see if anyone has comments about the process. If it works I can see where it could certainly speed things up and supposedly it's good for getting older seeds to germinate.

I don't see why this wouldn't work as long as you do not damage the seedling inside. Probably a great way to make sure it gets out of the seed casing safely.

I may have to try that, but I have one problem. You are not supposed to touch a seedling with your fingers. The oils on your skin can prevent it from growing roots, or so I've been told by a bunch of different sources. you would need to use tweezers to pick it up.

But thanks for sharing the information. :thanks:

I may have to try that, but I have one problem. You are not supposed to touch a seedling with your fingers. The oils on your skin can prevent it from growing roots, or so I've been told by a bunch of different sources. you would need to use tweezers to pick it up.

I had heard the same about finger oils and already thought one should most likely use latex type surgical gloves along with maybe a pair of plastic tweezers to be extra gentle. Then again this was supposedly considered for older seeds that might be close to their expiration time? Don't really know, but feel it's something worth knowing and considering.

I've been dealing with some fairly stubborn old seeds lately, and I got them to sprout by taking a file to the seam. That seems to be working so far.
It seems like it would be preferable to keep that seed cap on for a while as protection and not have to be dealing with such a vulnerable naked little thing, if possible.
Another method for sprouting old seeds which I read very good things about but haven't tried yet, is to plunk them in a jar of water with a bubbler going- until they sprout. This seems to have met with success. I have some 15 year old Northern Lights seeds I mean to try this on.
Anyway- good post. Might be another good trick for the arsenal.
Were those victims planted to see how they survive the next step?

Wow talk about invasive. While there are certain reasons for something like this it is pretty extreme. Yes it might work for really old seeds with little or no chance of germination. That is as far as I would take this practice. I would hate to see people trying this just to speed up germination. Some things just take time.

Acid baths and scarification are the farthest I care to take seeds I paid too much $¥€ for to begin with haha.
It is pretty cool to see the different stages like that but I like the idea of leaving my seedlings helmet on until it's in the light. I know at the surface the casing is acting as leaves to begin absorbing more energy I would be concerned this might delay that, though the leaves may develop faster without the casing in the way. Very interesting topic. Thanks for sharing.
:thumb:

Agreed all the way around with both Jack and Turbo, this looks to be very traumatic. My reason for posting was fact finding to see if it was valid or had anyone heard of. I agree with you Jack, using it just to speed up the process doesn't seem to justify the risk benefit analysis. Potentially destroying a good seed, especially one purchased just to speed the process of germination would seem like a very expensive risk, and not very wise.

I've got a bunch of old seeds from back in the day that I've never managed to get to sprout (they may be dead to be honest) and they were all collected from buds I bought back in Glasgow - a mix of local grown and import.

I'll give this a whirl and post up some results if it works - mine are old and I didn't spend anything on them so why not eh? :ganjamon:

Ganja gu brah

I'll give this a whirl and post up some results if it works - mine are old and I didn't spend anything on them so why not eh? :ganjamon:Ganja gu brah
I feel your specific issue is a perfect example of a way to try and get some action out of old questionable seeds. If it works you end up with a nice plant, if not nothing lost. :passitleft:

I should look at trying to thise old NL sprout someday. They've taken some abuse over the years and I don't expect much from them
If I do try the experiment I'll post it here. I will try the bubbler method that I mentioned as well. Because actually I think that method looks a lot more promising to me.
Not sure about the actual 'seed rolling' idea and how the shell would just flake off of an old seed like that firm rolling it around. I sprouted some stubborn seeds this month and with one of them the shell was stuck on so bad after it came out of the ground, I practically needed a nutcracker or vicegrips to get it off. It later died.
I filed the edges next two seeds quite heavily and they both struggled a bit but made it and are good now.
Anyway instead of blathering, I should just get off my lazy stoned ass and go try 'rolling' some seeds as per post one of this thread. Will report back. Here I go....

So I really can't replicate what they show by just 'gently rolling' a seed. I'm just using some newer Golden Tiger x Honduras seeds seeds from last October because I've got hundreds, and I looked and I only have a few of those NL seeds.

You need a surface with good friction to even get the seed to roll. I ended up using medium grit sandpaper. Rolled and rolled and nothing happened till eventually I pushed too hard and crushed the seed completely.
I tried again and patiently rolled it on the sandpaper with very firm pressure. Counted to around 45 seconds and by then was so bored I basically said f- it and started pushing harder till eventually it went the way of the first one. Crunch.

Maybe they're using pre-soaked seeds or something? :hmmmm:

So I really can't replicate what they show by just 'gently rolling' a seed. I'm just using some newer Golden Tiger x Honduras seeds seeds from last October because I've got hundreds, and I looked and I only have a few of those NL seeds.

You need a surface with good friction to even get the seed to roll. I ended up using medium grit sandpaper. Rolled and rolled and nothing happened till eventually I pushed too hard and crushed the seed completely.
I tried again and patiently rolled it on the sandpaper with very firm pressure. Counted to around 45 seconds and by then was so bored I basically said f- it and started pushing harder till eventually it went the way of the first one. Crunch.

Maybe they're using pre-soaked seeds or something? :hmmmm:
I got the casing off one last night by carefully cutting the ridge off with a craft knife then rolling for ages with a bit of pressure.
It's currently in damp paper towels as I don't have a bubbler.

I'm going to do some more later if I have time - some will be in paper towels, some in peat pucks. If anyone has a bubbler they should definitely grab some old crappy or herm beans and give it a go- that may be the crucial step.

Back
Top Bottom