Seed won't sprout!

Spliffenroll

Hi guys. I need som help here please.

I germinated a seed for 2 days in a cup of water, i saw the seed was cracking open and the root was sticking out but just a little bit. I wanted to wait another 24 hours but i didnt and planted it in a plastic cup, 1/2 inch deep in some nice and damp soil. it has been under 18/6 for 2 days now and i still cant see it sprout..
I just wanted to see if u guys know what the problem is or do i just need more patience ? how long does it usually take ? is it unusual or do i worry too much ?!

Thank u

They can take a few days sometimes. If it's not sprouting- my guess would be because it is too wet. I skip the soaking part, put seeds in some damp paper towel in a container with lid on loosely and keep at a warm temp. By two days the sprout is usually an inch long or so- but sometimes they take longer. I make sure the medium it is planted in is warm and only slightly damp- never wet. Good luck :thumb:

They can take a few days sometimes. If it's not sprouting- my guess would be because it is too wet. I skip the soaking part, put seeds in some damp paper towel in a container with lid on loosely and keep at a warm temp. By two days the sprout is usually an inch long or so- but sometimes they take longer. I make sure the medium it is planted in is warm and only slightly damp- never wet. Good luck :thumb:

Thank you so much for the help and information. what temperature do you think is best? ive been keeping it in between 25 to 28 degrees celcius, is that ok? wonderful journal btw, keep it up brother.:thumb:

Those temps sound perfect to me. Like a toasty warm, room temperature+
Thanks for visiting my journal and the compliments! I'll try to post something worthy of praise when I get a chance. Might be a while, Lol...
To be honest, if your seeds haven't sprouted at this point then I worry they're not going to. But hopefully I'm wrong.
Anyway- those two things- keeping the seed warm, and moist but not wet or soaked, are pretty much the two factors, IMO.
This pic is from my journal. I got the paper towel wet so it was saturated but not dripping everywhere, tossed it in an ice cream pail, put the seeds on top of the somewhat crumpled paper towel (in a high spot not the lowest spot), tucked a flap of paper towel over the seeds, and put the lid on. The pic was taken 48 hours later. I've used various methods but they all boil down to kind of the same thing-providing a humid and warm environment.
Good luck. I hope the seeds sprout, or you have another batch if they don't.

image34001.jpg

Those temps sound perfect to me. Like a toasty warm, room temperature+
Thanks for visiting my journal and the compliments! I'll try to post something worthy of praise when I get a chance. Might be a while, Lol...
To be honest, if your seeds haven't sprouted at this point then I worry they're not going to. But hopefully I'm wrong.
Anyway- those two things- keeping the seed warm, and moist but not wet or soaked, are pretty much the two factors, IMO.
This pic is from my journal. I got the paper towel wet so it was saturated but not dripping everywhere, tossed it in an ice cream pail, put the seeds on top of the somewhat crumpled paper towel (in a high spot not the lowest spot), tucked a flap of paper towel over the seeds, and put the lid on. The pic was taken 48 hours later. I've used various methods but they all boil down to kind of the same thing-providing a humid and warm environment.
Good luck. I hope the seeds sprout, or you have another batch if they don't.

image34001.jpg

oh well atleast im doing it right with the temp, and damn, the root of my seed was like 1/6 of the ones in the pic if not less, do you think thats why its taking so long? cuz i planted it too early ? i have more seeds thats not the problem but i just want to start with one plant and see how it works out, hate seeing it fail. lol. i guess ill wait another day or two and see if there is any changes. thank you again :D

Actually I threw the seeds in the ice cream pail and then left home, so this is just what they were like when I returned after two days. Normally I would have planted them when they were first showing sprouts- or 1/4" long or so. They're awfully vulnerable so I don't like letting them get longer than necessary for fear of breaking them.
Glad to hear that you have extra seeds. :)

Mmm i've grown several strains by seed looking for a favorite for the collection over the years & i find seed germination methods may change from one person to another but it all pretty much works.

At best i have had seed sprout with in 3 days the longest being between 7 to 10 days at best... may be longer tho ?

I hope those cups have drainage holes in ya don't want to cause dampening off or rot.

Mmm i've grown several strains by seed looking for a favorite for the collection over the years & i find seed germination methods may change from one person to another but it all pretty much works.

At best i have had seed sprout with in 3 days the longest being between 7 to 10 days at best... may be longer tho ?

I hope those cups have drainage holes in ya don't want to cause dampening off or rot.

Yes, there are drainage holes :) and i just saw a little bit of the seed shell popping out of the soil so, i guess it made it !! :D
Thx for the info. Jah bless

:Namaste:. sorry for taking your time. i just had two questions and you seem to know what you are doing so if you could hit me back with answers i'd be really grateful.. :) so its like this... Im going for a low budget grow and i was wondering about what lights to use. i am using 2, 40W CFL bulbs right now, (for only 1 plant ofc) it said that they generate 86W each but use only 40W energy so im a bit confused here.. i was thinking of getting a big 150W instead. do you think its necessary or does it work with the ones i have ?
I am also wondering if you know what the best way is to keep the plant bushy instead of growing tall. is trimming it the best way ?

Thx again :)
Jah bless

@Weaselcracker
:Namaste:. sorry for taking your time. i just had two questions and you seem to know what you are doing so if you could hit me back with answers i'd be really grateful.. :) so its like this... Im going for a low budget grow and i was wondering about what lights to use. i am using 2, 40W CFL bulbs right now, (for only 1 plant ofc) it said that they generate 86W each but use only 40W energy so im a bit confused here.. i was thinking of getting a big 150W instead. do you think its necessary or does it work with the ones i have ?
I am also wondering if you know what the best way is to keep the plant bushy instead of growing tall. is trimming it the best way ?

Thx again :)
Jah bless

Hey you're welcome and I'm happy to help.
I do know how to sprout seeds. I'm pretty confident about that. I don't grow with cfls though so the following info may be wrong. I'll find you some links though.
From what I know (I think)
You'll need more light. There's no such thing as too much light. Ignore the higher wattage number given with the bulb. I think they are trying to say that the 40watt cfl bulb gives out the light equivalent of an 86 watt incandescent. It has the effect of confusing everyone. Just judge the wattage by what it actually draws- 40 watts
150 watts is kind of a starting point for a small plant. So -four of your bulbs would be a better starting point.
Five or six bulbs I think would be better but obviously it depends on the size of the plant.
Cfls need to be close. Up to one inch away I've heard. So more low wattage cfls arranged around the plant is much better than one bright one.
Spectrum- Generally 'daylight- 6500K' bulbs are used for veg and 'soft white-2700K' for flowering. I doubt if this is critically important. The 6500K bulbs keep a plant shorter and bushier though, apparently, which is what you want, it sounds like.

Topping slows the vertical growth for a while as the two side branches below the cut sprout out to take the place of the missing top. It results in a bushier plant with more tops. It's usually combined with low stress training (lst) which basically means tying the branches down to spread them out and achieve a wider, flatter plant which is more suited to artificial lighting. There are various other training techniques to make a plant grow the shape you want.
Here are a couple links. The first one is kinda indispensable. You'll find answers to almost all your questions in there.

How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

CFL Light Tutorial

Weasel you got some good information there for him i got a little to add tho lol. Ok here goes i grow with cfls and i would like share with you what I've learned thus far, when it comes to cfls always remember that most the light emitted by the cfl comes off the side of the bulb not the end. With CFL lights LST is your friend due to the lack of penetration these lights have also i suggest you keep the cfls about 2-3 inches from the plant unless you wanna be moving them alot more another tip would be get some reflective material set up around your plant i personally use emergency blankets they are cheap and usually found in the camping section of stores. You should go with 8x23w CFLs and some y-splitters that way you could use only four reflector dish clamp lights. The 23w cfl is most efficient when it comes to lumens per watt as far as spectrum i dont think it matters as long as you get either the 2700k or the 6500k. Good vibes your way take care bud

Thanks alot you guys.. i just ordered 4 more 40W bulbs for now so i will be using 240W total for one plant. they are all cold white tho, i hope they work at the flowering stage aswell. I was also thinking of ordering some seeds, is there any special strain with a short grow time and suitable for growing in a growbox you would recommend ? :thanks:

I hear ak47 is good for closet grows but i dont have first hand experience with it. C99 is supposed to be another good one and im sure northern lights would be a safe bet as well

I don't have much input on this one. I grow mine in a scrog screen and train them all low, so I don't worry about height much. Generally speaking, you'll want to stay away from anything sativa dominant. Breeders/seedbanks will all have some info on strain height- not always totally accurate. :)

Mmm ye that ol slippery Weasel pretty much summed things up :Namaste:

Ye correct spectrum of light plays a good part in growing plants & through the stages of veg & flowering.

I'm pretty sure most cfl will have spectrum output mentioned on packet/box or the bulb it self.

They do have spectrums listed on the box but i have vegged with 6500k and 2700k and i dont see much difference with growth when it comes to cfl lighting

Back
Top Bottom