Seedling growing backwards

desiBud420

After a disastrous first attempt where I lost 4 strains (2 of each) I finally got the germination/temp/RH factors under control in my growbox.

With my second attempt I have a Black Indica thats sprouting nicely, a crown royale i just potted and now I have a Northern Lights Auto that seems to be growing backwards. The cotyledons are exposed but the tap root hasnt come out yet. Im not sure how to treat this situation except wait it out until I can see a T.R in about 24 hours.

Is there an secondary option I can implement if the root doesnt come out the way nature planned??

Photo_08-09-2015_2_59_12_am.jpg

Hi!

I'm thinking to try and moisten up the shell using a ziplock for higher RH and then go poking about with tweezers. That should come off easier like a moist bandaid.

Thanks!

Would you happen to know how I can remove pictures from my gallery? I can't find an option anywhere when I open an image up. Kind of lost there..

Would you happen to know how I can remove pictures from my gallery? I can't find an option anywhere when I open an image up. Kind of lost there..
Hi desiBud420 and :welcome: to :420:

Only Admin and Moderators can delete uploaded photos, Should you need a photo deleted - for example because it's off-topic or shows something which may compromise your security - just use the Report Button and we'll get right back to you.
:Namaste:

Hi Teddy,

thanks for the warm welcome! I wanted to post an image with no watermarks showing 6 likely plant deficiencies of which one was a possible candidate for someone who needed urgent help for one of their plants dying on one of 420mags threads. I took it from gwe.com and clipped it for my own personal use, but wasn't sure if posting it here with a 420mag watermark was appropriate. Here is the image below. Please let me know if it's ok or not so I can post it for the person having plant trouble.

@TheCelt: thanks buddy!

image32113.jpg

Btw Celt: here's what happened with the seedling this evening, which I've potted as you recommended. Thanks for that. Will give an update once it gets a bit bigger.

image32066.jpg

It's good to see that the seed has sprouted but I would have to respectfully disagree with removing the shell from any cotyledon as it can cause way too much damage and stress to the plant (sorry TheCelt, I don't know much about growing etc but I did want to perfect my germination techniques first so this was part and parcel of what I learned). If ever this happens again I would recommend that you plant the seed shallowly with the cotyledon outside of the medium. Now and again Dicotyledonus (Cannabis is part of this family having two cotyledons which come from the term Dicotyledonus, plants with one cotyledon are monocotyledonus) won't always establish a taproot but will instead grow fibrous roots from any remaining plant matter. It's not often but it does happen so hopefully this will help you for future reference in case it happens again. Good luck with your grow, if you put a journal up and link it here I'll be sure to sub and cheer you along. All the best :thumb:

It's good to see that the seed has sprouted but I would have to respectfully disagree with removing the shell from any cotyledon as it can cause way too much damage and stress to the plant (sorry TheCelt, I don't know much about growing etc but I did want to perfect my germination techniques first so this was part and parcel of what I learned). If ever this happens again I would recommend that you plant the seed shallowly with the cotyledon outside of the medium. Now and again Dicotyledonus (Cannabis is part of this family having two cotyledons which come from the term Dicotyledonus, plants with one cotyledon are monocotyledonus) won't always establish a taproot but will instead grow fibrous roots from any remaining plant matter. It's not often but it does happen so hopefully this will help you for future reference in case it happens again. Good luck with your grow, if you put a journal up and link it here I'll be sure to sub and cheer you along. All the best :thumb:

Hi Kriaze,

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Here's some progress on the NL's cotyledon, which to me on day 2 of potting looks a bit weaker than it originally was posted originally. Isn't a water issue I think, it's aerated soil and not overwatered soil drowning the roots without oxygen. Watering was done only on potting and spray top soil every 8-12 hours. Gets dry quickly in my grow box with the exhaust on for airflow.

I also gave it an hours sunlight recently before it got hot too quickly in the morning. Now at this stage I'm thinking it's overall growth could go either way but I haven't figured out if the cotyledons coming out prematurely before the tap root have anything to do with this seedlings stunted grow behaviour. Maybe it's tap roots are still growing and it's too soon to tell?. I've tried to take pics as best as I could. It looks like one cotyledon is dying out/shrinking, if not recovered from some shock it might be experiencing from something. Apart that I've kept a 40-56% RH and a steady temp of 23-25'C (73-77'C).

image32291.jpg

image32292.jpg
image32294.jpg
image32293.jpg

Right now that seedling looks fine. Truthfully at this stage there is nothing you can really do except wait. In my opinion she will be fine. Just don't lover her to death.

Right now that seedling looks fine. Truthfully at this stage there is nothing you can really do except wait. In my opinion she will be fine. Just don't lover her to death.

Hahahaha!! Yes I fear I may be giving more attention to them than my wife at this point. But she's been a swell supporter watching my OCD and passion come about with this. The waiting begins.. Thank you Llama!

Hi guys,

Northern lights isn't looking too good. Although I sense some greener bits around the stem, but the cotyledons seem to have given in. One has anyways. I've only noticed the stem height emerge ever so slight, but the leaves have shrivelled and shrunk for sure. I checked pH with pH strips and it seemed about in the right color range for 6-7. As a last resort. For its last feeding, I used the tiniest pinch of nutes (barely noticeable according to pot size) mixed in lukewarm water and gave it that.

A day later I've noticed growth is still stunted, but the base tip of the stem seems a tiny bit greener, barely noticeable except with a jewellers loupe. I'm just letting it carry on however long it can in case there's a rare chance it's taking time to sprout anything new and survive with some stunted growth in its later stages.

image32549.jpg
image32548.jpg
image32545.jpg

She is will be putting down her roots. Be patient. Hold off the food for a week or so and let her soil dry out for a bit too.

Hi there!

I was wondering what kind of a light cycle she needs while roots settle in and she recovers? Some people say keep it under light to promote photosynthesis (although it's cotyledons look 75% under health) where others say to keep it under dark.

Back
Top Bottom