Seedling help

Home Depot is missing out- not selling their cannabis products in a country where
cannabis is legal everywhere,is a big mis-step on their part.
You'd think they'd want a piece of that pie-I know I would.
Canada is absolved of all blame-Home Depot,on the other hand,is an idiot (IMO)
So so so true. Where i live in Mass. Ace Hardware is SUPER 420 FRIENDLY!!!!!

Thanks so much for the info! I don’t really have access to get that specialized soil, what about an organic potting mix that can be bought at regular stores? Last year I actually used miracle grow potting mix for my clones (I know that’s not supposed to be used) and my plants were massive over 9 feet with a massive yield. I’m really not wanting to use miracle grow on seeds though and am confused on a decent potting mix that will be ok and can be bought easily :( I will start in the clear solo cups. Also, would you say the light on them for 16/8 is fine for the first 5-6 weeks you think or no?
Exsctly! I want as less work as possible. So i put it right in FFOF

Home Depot is missing out- not selling their cannabis products in a country where
cannabis is legal everywhere,is a big mis-step on their part.
You'd think they'd want a piece of that pie-I know I would.
Canada is absolved of all blame-Home Depot,on the other hand,is an idiot (IMO)
Considering that they prefer to hire retired military officers for supervisory positions it's not surprising.

Yup, that light should be fine.

One more thing regarding FFOF, I have indeed started seeds in it before. Out of 6 bagseeds, I did indeed see some burning on 3 of them so while some folks don't have issues with it being "too hot", some plants may experience some burn - just what I've seen first hand. If you can find FFOF, then you probably should be able to find FF Happy Frog. According to my local grow shop manager, Happy Frog is less likely to burn your seedlings.
Some info from their website:
What is the difference between Ocean Forest Potting Soil and Happy Frog Potting Soil?
Both Ocean Forest and Happy Frog Potting Soils are packed with earthworm castings, bat guano, peat moss and aged forest products, and provide an ideal environment for container gardens. There are a few distinct differences between these two products. Ocean Forest is a premium mix that contains ocean-going ingredients such as kelp, crab meal and shrimp meal. Happy Frog Potting Soil is an economical alternative that includes humic acid and beneficial microbes.
Totally agree and I should have mentioned earlier that some strains may get burnt in soil that hot. Happy Frog is a great choice for starting seeds.
16/8 is a perfectly acceptable schedule for veg absolutely. I happened to have used that schedule for the veg part of my current grow. It helps save on electricity and they appreciate the extra dark period.

I learned a trick from @InTheShed where you start your clones or seeds in a clear solo cup with holes for drainage. Then you just use a dark cup as a sleeve for the clear cup. Couple of advantages: you can actually watch the roots develop and tell easier when the soil is dry. Also you can feed from the bottom by pouring your water in the sleeve cup and placing the clear cup inside it. The water will absorb from the bottom up and it’s breathing in fresh oxygen the whole time. Especially, if you splash some water on top at the same. You’ll see bubbles popping letting you know it’s fully soaking that soil. Let the plant completely dry out and repeat. :high-five:

Keep asking great questions buddy, don’t be afraid to research and experiment for yourself. This cannabis growing is highly subjective in a lot of ways.
If you ever get lost in all the information, try and remind yourself of what happens in nature. Apply that to your plant and all of the sudden it’s not such a difficult plant to grow. Taking your plants to new levels, that’s where the journey starts.
Good luck!

Totally agree and I should have mentioned earlier that some strains may get burnt in soil that hot. Happy Frog is a great choice for starting seeds.
16/8 is a perfectly acceptable schedule for veg absolutely. I happened to have used that schedule for the veg part of my current grow. It helps save on electricity and they appreciate the extra dark period.

I learned a trick from @InTheShed where you start your clones or seeds in a clear solo cup with holes for drainage. Then you just use a dark cup as a sleeve for the clear cup. Couple of advantages: you can actually watch the roots develop and tell easier when the soil is dry. Also you can feed from the bottom by pouring your water in the sleeve cup and placing the clear cup inside it. The water will absorb from the bottom up and it’s breathing in fresh oxygen the whole time. Especially, if you splash some water on top at the same. You’ll see bubbles popping letting you know it’s fully soaking that soil. Let the plant completely dry out and repeat. :high-five:

Keep asking great questions buddy, don’t be afraid to research and experiment for yourself. This cannabis growing is highly subjective in a lot of ways.
If you ever get lost in all the information, try and remind yourself of what happens in nature. Apply that to your plant and all of the sudden it’s not such a difficult plant to grow. Taking your plants to new levels, that’s where the journey starts.
Good luck!
Thank you so much! :)
Is it ok to pre-wet the soil before I put the seedlings in? And last question, is it ok to put the plants in a closet which will not have a fan just during the dark hours? They will be out of the closet for their daylight time

Thank you so much! :)
Is it ok to pre-wet the soil before I put the seedlings in? And last question, is it ok to put the plants in a closet which will not have a fan just during the dark hours? They will be out of the closet for their daylight time
Pre wet the soil, by all means. If you don’t pre wet the soil, the roots could hit a dry pocket and they would have to divert themselves.
I’m not liking the idea of no fan in the closet during lights out. The lights put off heat and heat has an effect on humidity. When the lights go off, the humidity will spike. You can get by with this temporarily but just a little clip on fan would do wonders to at least circulate the air. You really need air exchange because the plants want fresh CO2. I don’t think they need co2 at night though so you’re okay there.
Just a little fan blowing around the leaves ever so slightly would be great!

Pre wet the soil, by all means. If you don’t pre wet the soil, the roots could hit a dry pocket and they would have to divert themselves.
I’m not liking the idea of no fan in the closet during lights out. The lights put off heat and heat has an effect on humidity. When the lights go off, the humidity will spike. You can get by with this temporarily but just a little clip on fan would do wonders to at least circulate the air. You really need air exchange because the plants want fresh CO2. I don’t think they need co2 at night though so you’re okay there.
Just a little fan blowing around the leaves ever so slightly would be great!
Thank you all so muchhh you all are mad cools, I appreciate it. Pics of the seedlings soon

Hi. First time seeder here in ontario too. After doing all the research, I wanted to try the method of taking a seed dipped in rooting gel and put in a styrofoam? pod and letting them soak in a tray.
The most common and suggested method seems to be the paper towel method in a ziplock and in a warm place or soaking seeds.
I decided to try a few different methods and I learned a few things. like tip 1 is to use distilled water or ph balanced water. and tip 2....when placing seed into grow medium do not place the seed too deep... 1 cm should be fine.

But, anyways at the grow supply stores we couldn't find what we were looking for.
we found rockwell cubes but that wasnt what we were looking for... and no one could understand why we wanted to do the method we were talking about and we kept being told thats the method we wanted was used for cloning not for seeds.... we knew that but thats what we wanted to try for the seeds also....
we ended up just deciding that we would use the paper towel method.... we also wanted to use a root stimulant as we had seen this done also when using the paper towel method....we were being told that we didnt need to and it was not necessary. we bought root stimulant anyway. and a potting mix that had no added nutrients. and a tray.
and a seedling mat was also not advised at the stores we went too... even though we wanted one of those also...
methods i tried....
1. tap water and paper towel drenched and put in a ziplock.
2. B1 supermax. followed instructions. soak for 15 minutes and place in grow medium.
3. soak seeds in b1 supermax solutions overnight and then in paper towel soaked in solution
4. distilled water and soaked in a paper towel method and put in a paper towel method.

results.
the best method was soaking the seeds for overnight and then in paper towel in a ziplock. but the best result was using this method but soaking seeds using root stimulant solution for the process and distilled water. we happened to use b1 supermax. we arent particular on the brand in this test.

the only method that did not work was following the instructions on the b1 supermax..... mostly i think my mistake here was that i placed them into the grow medium way too deep....... half a pinky length or more deep. which i thought would be fine so i learned something here..... in this instance i dont like placing the seed in the grow medium without soaking or paper towel or both and not seeing it. and i ended up digging them up after 4 days to find nothing happened at all.
I do like a root stimulant. and next time and I will try the pod method with a root stimulant next time. but other than that... :) i hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom