Seedlings 1st: Black Cherry Punch, Laniakea, Lemon Thai Kush

A question keeps popping into my head....I plan on trying out some regular seeds. How many seeds should I start out with to safely end up with two females? I was planning to start 4 regs and keep only the two strongest females. Is there a better strategy out there? Something I should be aware of?

Tuff one...if it were me i would start 5 ,....or 6 , to get two Fems.
So nice to see your pots full, right to the top.. :headbanger:
Yup....since you explained the soil thing....it just makes sense.

I can start 6.....no problem. Especially with these JOTI seeds cause they are extremely affordable. They say they have about 60% female...but it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side and pop a few more just in case.

Ya,..that way at least u will get a couple . How long u prepared to care for them all. Until ,they show naturally or will u wanna force a branch on each one of them...
Nah....I would just let them go until they show.....then cull and transplant. You never know.....I want to understand more about male selection. If I get a strong one I would consider collecting pollen. One step at a time though.

I started 2 of each of my reg's and also started 2 fem seeds, so 6 total. I got lucky and ended up with a female and male of both. My plan was just to hope for that and my back up plan was I would just do the 2 female seeds in 2 20 gallon pots if need be :passitleft: Next fall I will be starting 6 of each strain and selecting the best females and males from that:thumb:

Nah....I would just let them go until they show.....then cull and transplant. You never know.....I want to understand more about male selection. If I get a strong one I would consider collecting pollen. One step at a time though.
same boat seedling, I'd love to even make my own cross I realize t do that I need much more room then only a 5x5, Like Duggs said to select 2 strains I think I'd like to start 6 of each with the capability to flower 4 of each. Also will need a male tent and figure how to keep that safely :nomo: more months of reading

If you have the space, id recommend taking a cut of each plant and running out the donors with a 5-6 week veg. Male or female, you'll be able to pick the best expressions.
I need to move to get more space.....but that will happen in time. Next time around I should have another bedroom to work with and heating/cooling will be much easier. Already the temps outside are barely below zero and I am trying to maintain room temperatures :rofl: that is why I am considering putting off the Sativas until the summer and running Bubbas. Cloning seems relatively easy....understanding what makes a good expression or not seems like something that will take time to sink in and become a usable skill...but we never know until we try.

I started 2 of each of my reg's and also started 2 fem seeds, so 6 total. I got lucky and ended up with a female and male of both. My plan was just to hope for that and my back up plan was I would just do the 2 female seeds in 2 20 gallon pots if need be :passitleft: Next fall I will be starting 6 of each strain and selecting the best females and males from that:thumb:
same boat seedling, I'd love to even make my own cross I realize t do that I need much more room then only a 5x5, Like Duggs said to select 2 strains I think I'd like to start 6 of each with the capability to flower 4 of each. Also will need a male tent and figure how to keep that safely :nomo: more months of reading
Yeah....sounds like you lucked out! I don't mind culling a few after starting more. I have a lot of seeds to use up and the lord knows I love buying more. I keep looking at JOTI's Gods space needle......:yummy: I want to try some of that god bud Duggs so fondly talks about.

There definitely is a lot more to breeding than I could have imagined....but it is super interesting and I am gonna take great pleasure in getting into it. Males scare the shit out of me right now that my focus is flowers. I think I am spotting some nanners on my LTK......I will get a picture when I get home later.

Love the talks guys.

Just remember seed, if you get a 50% rate, having 3/3 be males. That’s a lot of time/effort/nutes/love all going into those sausage plants!

I wonder if it would be worth force flowering, earlier to determine gender, then reversing the females back to veg.

Just remember seed, if you get a 50% rate, having 3/3 be males. That’s a lot of time/effort/nutes/love all going into those sausage plants!

I wonder if it would be worth force flowering, earlier to determine gender, then reversing the females back to veg.
Sounds too advanced for me at this point! Especially since I am hoping to end up with 2 fems along for the ride. Letting them go isn't much effort and I don't use much product in the early stages. The soil does all the heavy lifting and I definitely have enough to fill a bunch of extra #1 pots with my setup. I could fill another #10 at least halfway this run with what was left.

Also....the nanners. There are some on the LTK. I took a couple pictures....

20191108_224431.jpg
20191108_224417.jpg

I plucked those off. Gonna go through them more tomorrow and pluck any I see.

While I was in there doing close ups I captured some early bloom.

20191108_224640.jpg
20191108_224627.jpg
20191108_224608.jpg
20191108_224601.jpg

Hey Seedling,..mornin to ya bud. Those pistils/calyx's that u thought were nanners are exactly wat u will be looking for when u search for signs of sex from your reg. plants u plan to grow. They come out of the main stem and branch nodes like that. Thats how u will determine sex bud. cheers eh. Good call btw Gray. I just woke up and seen this. Cheers eh.
For forcing plants to show sex. U can also do it by shading out a small branch every night (increasing it's dark period)for a week or so. That branch , and only that branch will express sex in a week or so. Just a thought bud.

If you had some pollen you could pollenate those stem calyxes and get just a few seeds. @Van Stank showed me that little trick. You get enough seeds to try a new strain and still have big buds of unseeded bud.
The plants are doing great, they look very healthy, I hope you got a quick LTK.
Thanks, I am hoping I can keep them healthy through to the end! I already got an emergency plan for the finish of the LTK. I am gonna move some stuff around today and relocate my tent to another room. If she wants to go longer I will stick her in the tent and bring the new ones to veg in the flower room. She can take as long as she asks. Once I figure out how to isolate a male safely and collect pollen I will give that trick a shot!

Hey Seedling,..mornin to ya bud. Those pistils/calyx's that u thought were nanners are exactly wat u will be looking for when u search for signs of sex from your reg. plants u plan to grow. They come out of the main stem and branch nodes like that. Thats how u will determine sex bud. cheers eh. Good call btw Gray. I just woke up and seen this. Cheers eh.
For forcing plants to show sex. U can also do it by shading out a small branch every night (increasing it's dark period)for a week or so. That branch , and only that branch will express sex in a week or so. Just a thought bud.
Yeah, I have a lot to learn about the birds and the bees. :laugh: I have been reading about dealing with regulars this morning. I can give that shading trick a shot. Sounds like something I could manage.

Back
Top Bottom