Seedlings and watering

canafleur

Watering seedlings ??? Hi need a little help.. This is my first time with seeds -
The seedlings are about an inch now - in soil B2 - in a 4X6" pots - under a T5 4X8 veg lights -
We are afraid to water too much or not enough ...afraid to loose them..
Any guidelines as too amount of water - we are using a sprayer -
Help would be so helpful... Thank you!!!:Namaste:

Re: Seedlings and watering..

Thank you - I appreciate the response -
So not everywhere on the soil surface?.
so like 10 sprays all together ? ( probably ridiculous to put number...) But we lost some seeds....so very cautious now...:thanks:

I like to water the soil at the foliage drip line as they grow. That is, where rain water would drip down to from the outer most leaves. This helps prevent me from over saturating the grow media where the roots have not grown into yet.

/Obi

Yea a spray bottle with demineralized water at a ph of around 5.5-6.3 is ideal, and like they said just spray the soil not the plant yet (water on the leaves can be harmful under intense light, but for your T5 s you should be ok. This little girl is gonna take off quick so you wanna make sure you moisten all the soil and not just the top inch or two. I personally would put my little jiffy pot with soil on a plate then water from the bottom on top of misting the top every once in a while. I m a fairly new grower but I ve documented my gong show from day 1 so if ya want a good laugh or to fast forward through some rookie mistakes check it out, might help. Good luck!

Great Thank you for your detailed instructions !- when you say " not to water the plant yet..water on leaves" but do you mean you still water the base of the "stem" - or you water around the pot mostly? I understand water on leaves + light can be bad -
Also " from bottom up" means you put water in the tray under ?
Sorry for asking this - just want to make sure i do not interpret through my limited knowledge! lol

I like to water the soil at the foliage drip line as they grow. That is, where rain water would drip down to from the outer most leaves. This helps prevent me from over saturating the grow media where the roots have not grown into yet.

/Obi
That is a great tip ! ( following the logic of mother nature - - I see - so: no water BY the stem? until the plant get stronger and taller ? ( 6"? guessing number)
Thank you SO much!

Great Thank you for your detailed instructions !- when you say " not to water the plant yet..water on leaves" but do you mean you still water the base of the "stem" - or you water around the pot mostly? I understand water on leaves + light can be bad -
Also " from bottom up" means you put water in the tray under ?
Sorry for asking this - just want to make sure i do not interpret through my limited knowledge! lol

I totally understand, it's like being a parent for the first time hey, yea you can just Mist the top of the soil and stem if ya want for the first few days then maybe a bit in the of water in the tray/plate so it can absorb from the bottom. Thing is you don't want dry spots in your medium and you don't want it soaking wet so the roots can't get a little air and not rot..... it's a fine balance until your Little Lady matures a bit then gets to be much more forgiving. PH and water quality are quite important too to let your plant absorb nutrients properly and which nutrients at whatever stage of her life. Different nutrients absorbe into the plant at different ph lvls, lower ph for newer plants... that 5.3-6
Sorry went off on a tangent there hahaha, yea PH!! Your pots are vented with holes on the bottom right... for some reason I just assumed you were running like a coco coir pot/jiffy pot? Any idea on a nutrient line? I hope I can help, keep them questions coming if need be!

I just spray everything sometimes twice a day cause the sun can easily kill young seedlings, but if they're under CFLs they're fine being sprayed once in the morning once you turn on the lights. Temps are important cause if they're too high then you're gonna dry them faster.

Yes thank you so much - That makes total sense - it is indoor for now - I was tempted to spray twice a day under light - Great tis!

Back
Top Bottom