Seedlings in coco with gaia green

Sketch96

I have 2 seedlings that are 8 days old now. I planted them in canna coco amended with gaia green dry organic. The pots dried out pretty good when I was waiting for the the seeds to germinate. The seeds are from i49 and are blueberry autoflower.

The leaves look blotchy in color. Darker green to lighter green/almost yellow spots. One plant the edges of the leaves are a bit curled upward.

Any expert opinions on how these look?

I should have added that I am using dechlorinated tap water ph to 6.8. Watering once a day and just around the seedling not the entire pot. The pots are 3gal smart pots

I have 2 seedlings that are 8 days old now. I planted them in canna coco amended with gaia green dry organic. The pots dried out pretty good when I was waiting for the the seeds to germinate. The seeds are from i49 and are blueberry autoflower.

The leaves look blotchy in color. Darker green to lighter green/almost yellow spots. One plant the edges of the leaves are a bit curled upward.

Any expert opinions on how these look?

It's my understanding that pure coco and coco with perlite or vermiculite are only used in drain to waste hydroponic systems. Slow release fertilizers such as Gaia should not be used in drain to waste hydroponic systems.

Drain to waste systems have the ready for the plant nutrients mixed in with the water. This mixture is fed to the plants one or more times per day until you get about 10% run off. The medium, in this case coco, is not allowed to dry out. The pH of your nutrient solution should be between about 5.8 and 6.4. I use 5.8 from seed through veg, and then move up to 6.2 until harvest.

It seems like you are trying to grow in coco, the same way you'd grow in soil. The soil is allowed to dry out to provide aeration for the roots. This is not necessary with coco.

Thanks old salt! I have been watching how Mr canuck grows on the you tube channel. This is how he has been growing and his results are great. Trying to emulate what he has been doing. Not a hydroponic grow.

Do the plants look healthy to you? The slight curling of the leaves are what has me concerned

Thanks old salt! I have been watching how Mr canuck grows on the you tube channel. This is how he has been growing and his results are great. Trying to emulate what he has been doing. Not a hydroponic grow.
Good luck with that.
Do the plants look healthy to you? The slight curling of the leaves are what has me concerned
I wouldn't worry about the wavy leaf - sprouts do that sometime and usually straighten out quickly. Your plants don't look that healthy for 8 days old.

These sprouts are 7 days from sprout and fed daily with 6.0 1/4 strength nute solution to run off - for a comparison. Good luck.

At that stage you shouldn't worry too much they will be fine and get better with time when pH of the grow media will be lower (I suspect it being too high). Try to take a look at the correct ph range for you. As it s a mix I would adjust it to the 6 each time I water for a while. In my case in coco for example following this changed my life :

Ph is so important!

Thanks everybody. This is my first grow of auto flowers and first time under LED lights and coco. I grew some plants years ago with the HID lights and sunshine#4 soil and did pretty good I think. This is all new.

I did water this morning with 6.5 ph water after the wife checked the soil ph with her meter and it showed a ph of 7.5.

Should I try giving the pot a good soak to runoff with water ph to 5.8 -6.0. The rest of the coco is very dry as I have been just watering around the plant in approx 5 inch dia. I read that seedlings in big pots can get too much water and starve for oxygen.

What Old Salt said!

Not sure what Mr. Canuck grows in, but you cannot treat coco like soil. Never let it dry out, *you can't over water coco.**

I have 30% runoff.

No I haven't. I found this forum and liked the idea of being able to post pics and having many experienced growers for advice. Loving the info and the many grow journals and pics available on this site.

No I haven't. I found this forum and liked the idea of being able to post pics and having many experienced growers for advice. Loving the info and the many grow journals and pics available on this site.

I grow in Canna coco also,
You may want to look at my Big Buddha Cheese Part Deux, it may help.
I am not the best but damn I work hard at it, LOL.

Just noticed you added organics to you coco. You don't need it with DTW, it just washes away. I use vermicompost teas in my grows when I have the compost but do not add it as an amendment.

What Old Salt said!

Not sure what Mr. Canuck grows in, but you cannot treat coco like soil. Never let it dry out, you can't over water coco.

I have 30% runoff.

I often read this and tend not to repeat it to people that are new to growing. You can over water coco in a plastic pot without enough draining holes. So this sentence "you can't over water coco" needs its asterisk.

I often read this and tend not to repeat it to people that are new to growing. You can over water coco in a plastic pot without enough draining holes. So this sentence "you can't over water coco" needs its asterisk.

Thanks, your totally right, I have made that correction, I never think of people growing coco in plastic containers, I grow in Smart Pots.

Regardless of the type of pot - you have to assume that people are smart enough to put plenty of holes in the bottom of the pot for good drainage. The overwatering would be user error, not the fault of the coco.

Thanks, your totally right, I have made that correction, I never think of people growing coco in plastic containers, I grow in Smart Pots.

Don't worry I really understand. I realized during my last grow that all the people that had amazing results in coco were growing in smart pots. I had the same story with rockwool. I ruined an entire grow of 10 young plants grown from seed. This happened cause I was using rockwool cubes in plastic pots so they couldn't drain enough. The best way to use rockwool may be on trays so that it can fully takes advantage of all its characteristics. Now am in smartpot and can take part of the you can't overwater coco! I love it! No more stress!

Regardless of the type of pot - you have to assume that people are smart enough to put plenty of holes in the bottom of the pot for good drainage. The overwatering would be user error, not the fault of the coco.

It s always the user responsibility I think cause nature is well done. Sometimes some things that can seem easy or evident aren't from a person to another one. I did math preps school and graduated. But I never thought immediately that coco wouldn't dry the same way depending on the pot material. Now I see this as something evident and simple but a few months ago I just never thought about it. And j think that is part of things that a beginner go through. Then you learn and do better the next time

they are great for coco grows , plus they don't get the algae on the sides like cloth and breath the best of all the other pots out there .plus I re use them as cloth pots are a p.i.t.a. to re use .

Back
Top Bottom