Seedlings in coco with gaia green

I'm using straight canna coco. No soil. I amended the coco before planting. I did mix the coco and then left it sitting for over a week in the smart pots before planting. They dried out completely while waiting for my seeds to germinate in wet paper towel. I only watered a small area around the seed when I did plant finally.

Could the coco and amendments be affected at all drying out so much before planting?
This was your last post in your thread from March. You never told us how your Mr. Canuk grow turned out. I'm curious.

I'm not much of a gardener, but Mr. Canuks has something going on. Easy way to grow especially if your schedule is busy. Just gotta keep an eye on the girls. Here's my grow that just finished up, first run with 28.5 grams of trimmed bud, 21gs of trim that I'm gonna turn into rosin. It's not much, but was alot more then what I was expecting.
Did you train that NL auto or let it go naturally? I just started germinating my NL auto seed from cks too.

This was your last post in your thread from March. You never told us how your Mr. Canuk grow turned out. I'm curious.

Sorry for the late reply military life is keeping me busy but I got 28.5g dried buds with 28g of trim, 56.5g total dry weight. Might not be a lot but for first run and made some watering mistakes but I'm satisfied with the product i started Gorilla Glue #4 by Expert Seeds and its day 33 now from seed. If you wanna check it out hit me up on InstaG "Thurston.wm". Heres the final pics of the Northern Lights:

I trained her, but I took off the tie downs too early. Think I stopped around week 6ish. This time around I'm keeping them on till the end
Alright, thanks for the reply!

Happy growing!

Sorry for the late reply military life is keeping me busy but I got 28.5g dried buds with 28g of trim, 56.5g total dry weight. Might not be a lot but for first run and made some watering mistakes but I'm satisfied with the product i started Gorilla Glue #4 by Expert Seeds and its day 33 now from seed. If you wanna check it out hit me up on InstaG "Thurston.wm". Heres the final pics of the Northern Lights:
My post was not intended for you, it was for the OP. I'm curious how his/her grow went using this method.

Sorry for the late reply. I did update my grow journal but forgot about this thread.

My grow went very well. I did switch over from gaia green dry amendments to AN coco nutes. I also added a 2nd electric sky es 300 light later in flower.

Plants 1 and 2 were harvested a bit too early....rookie mistake, and I got just over 7oz between both plants together.

Plants 3 and 4 went almost 4 weeks longer under double lights. I got 16.1oz off the 2 together. Significantly better with more light and waiting longer before harvest. Lesson learned.

I was extremely happy with the blueberry auto's. They grew much bigger than I thought they would for an auto flower. And I did alot of LST to increase bud sites which I also thought auto flowers didnt like but these ones seemed to love it.

20190604_145655.jpg
20190530_161111.jpg
20190515_153306.jpg
20190515_153417.jpg
20190515_082108.jpg

I currently have 3 plants going that are straight organic.

Using 3 gallon plastic pots with promix soil. I grew them outside the last 12 weeks. Using gaia green organic dry amendments. I just brought them inside under the lights because our weather here in BC has been cold and rainy all summer.

After 2 weeks indoors the growth has been ridiculous. Huge boost. I did run into a nitrogen toxicity problem and a cal mag issue right after they came indoors. Not sure why. I brewed up a tea and since then they have recovered and took off like crazy. I have them on a 12/12 schedule indoors.

The seeds I used were from the BC bud depot. They were regular non feminized seeds. BC Big Bud and Kush. I planted 6 and 3 were Male and 3 female.

I'm going to stick with the organic dry amendments till the end. Will update how it goes. So far I only water every 4th or 5th day with ph dechlorinated water @ 6.6 to 6.7. I was only using straight non PH rain water the first 12 weeks outdoors. The plants looked healthy outdoors but were growing fairly slowly. As soon as they came in under the LED they showed deficiencies that I had to remedy.

I am at approx week 3 of flower and they are showing alot of bud development so far.

You can most definitely over water coco without a doubt, the reason why your able to use the slow release Gaia green fertilizer is because as mister Canucks states your not watering until you get run to help protect the microbial life, as you would with drain to waste hydroponic systems, also you wanna try to water every day to every other day with this method, if the pot is not drying out within 2 days max I'd say water a bit less each time. By not getting run off your pre mixed nutrients don't go anywhere plus with Gaia green you can top dress every three weeks I do believe as needed. I've been doing it this way for over a year with very minimal errors. Tbh I found it easier to start with coco and dry organic amendments over bottled hydroponic nutrients but would like to try them one day! If you have any questions I can help with ask away !

It's my understanding that pure coco and coco with perlite or vermiculite are only used in drain to waste hydroponic systems. Slow release fertilizers such as Gaia should not be used in drain to waste hydroponic systems.

Drain to waste systems have the ready for the plant nutrients mixed in with the water. This mixture is fed to the plants one or more times per day until you get about 10% run off. The medium, in this case coco, is not allowed to dry out. The pH of your nutrient solution should be between about 5.8 and 6.4. I use 5.8 from seed through veg, and then move up to 6.2 until harvest.

It seems like you are trying to grow in coco, the same way you'd grow in soil. The soil is allowed to dry out to provide aeration for the roots. This is not necessary with coco.
you are exactly correct !

Thanks everybody. This is my first grow of auto flowers and first time under LED lights and coco. I grew some plants years ago with the HID lights and sunshine#4 soil and did pretty good I think. This is all new.

I did water this morning with 6.5 ph water after the wife checked the soil ph with her meter and it showed a ph of 7.5.

Should I try giving the pot a good soak to runoff with water ph to 5.8 -6.0. The rest of the coco is very dry as I have been just watering around the plant in approx 5 inch dia. I read that seedlings in big pots can get too much water and starve for oxygen.
Hey man coming from someone that just tried to do what you are trying to do…listen to the guys on here because at least you can use their formula and techniques and actually be able to ask them questions.

I can’t tell you how Canuck gets what he gets but I can tell you trying this didn’t work out for me the slow release fertilizer was to in constant and caused more problems compared to going to a synthetic salt based nutrient (advanced nutrients coco blend). It’s a learning process and takes time to get and understand hope this helps and I hope I didn’t come off as mean just sharing my experiences. Also @Bill284 is a pro with Coco so maybe he can help you out as well cheers

Hey man coming from someone that just tried to do what you are trying to do…listen to the guys on here because at least you can use their formula and techniques and actually be able to ask them questions.

I can’t tell you how Canuck gets what he gets but I can tell you trying this didn’t work out for me the slow release fertilizer was to in constant and caused more problems compared to going to a synthetic salt based nutrient (advanced nutrients coco blend). It’s a learning process and takes time to get and understand hope this helps and I hope I didn’t come off as mean just sharing my experiences. Also @Bill284 is a pro with Coco so maybe he can help you out as well cheers
in coco, youre way less likely to overwater. keep the coco moist throughout, with more concentrated water near the seedling. if coco stays dry, it could become hydrophobic. i just started my first organic run, with gaia green. im an avid coco n jacks user, but switched to living soil , for the reasons @Old Salt said. So far so good. really nice not mixing nutes, and dealing with the runoff needed for synthetics. Time will tell if i stick with it. Happy new year all🥳

Back
Top Bottom