Seedlings stopped growing

Carps

Hi guys,

So I used to grow alot when I was a teen with a simple chuck some seeds in the dirt and let them do their thing. Now I'm in my 40's i thought it was time to have a crack again.

I thought I'd try a few different strains for my first grow to see which would work best for the climate here so I have chucked in white widow, Northern Lights, Early Marco, Bruce Banner #3 and Big Bud with Autos being Frisian Dew and Mexican Airlines. Supposedly all fairly simple strains to grow.

Anyway I germinated them all within 3 days with a 100% strike rate. Put them in soil in small pots on my windowsill which they came up and dropped the seed casing within another 3 days. After 1 week i would put them outside for a few hours then bring them back in at night.
20190906_164039.jpg

They were looking healthy with their first set of leaves but have stayed the same for 4 weeks now. I havent been flooding them with water checking the weight of the pot before watering again. The soil I used was the cheapest potting mix I could get with no extra nutrients in it.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be going on?

Ok so you're saying only fine soil nothing with "chunks" in it? How would this effect the growth of the plant?

You don't want super fine soil or it won't drain right. You want it somewhere in between fine and what you have. Yours looks like it has way to many large chunks. Also some perlite would be good for drainage. Maybe buy a bag of top soil, mix that with what you have along some perlite.

Also, looks kind of wet to me. Search on the "lift method" for watering plants. When you lift the pot, you want it to feel light, just like a pot of dirt that hasn't been watered would feel like. You also need to be adding some sort of fertilizer / nutrients. I was using the Fox Farms trio, but have switched to Mega Crop. You can get a 500 gram sample shipped to your door for about $7. There is enough in the bag to last for a while.

Also, I don't put as much dirt in my seedling pots. That way when they stretch, I can add more dirt to support the stem.

I also don't think they are getting enough light. They need lots of direct light, not just a few hours outside. I grow outside, but I start my seedlings inside for the first 2-3 weeks. I have then under regular screw in type, daylight bright (5000K), 60w equivalent LED bulbs, from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night. I place the light about 2 inches away from the top of the plant. That keeps them stretching so much.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom