Critical Purple Kush & CBD

Day 34

I haven't seen any fungus flies in over a week, so the bacteria must be working. No stem rot yet. Being a pessimist I find this too good to be true. Something is bound to jump up and bite me.

They really enjoy the added light spectrum. I'm only running 300 W of HPS for 7 hrs in the middle of the day, in addition to the big MH at 18 hrs. The temperature does get up to 25 C even with the fan at med speed, hence the droopy fan leaves. They are growing rapidly now, and should be ready for the flip in a week or so. Thankfully I got the cages put in before things got crazy. Photo dump:

Day 39

The larger plants are starting to show the beginning of pre-flowering, so it's almost time to flip. I want to give them a few more days to bulk up and let the CBD catch up a bit more. Wednesday will be six weeks vegetative, which is about average. The tallest plant is 13" with 10 or 11 nodes. They are branching like crazy. No fungus flies or stem rot.

Flip day 3

Everything is going well. The large plant grew 6" in the last six days. Hopefully I won't have to super crop it. I will have to start tying up the side branches before I can't get to the middle of the grow area. The Dr. Seedsman plant has a purple cast to the leaves, which I usually associate with a P issue, but the rest are fine. Maybe it's a problem with the stem buried in the rocks, but it is growing OK.

I had a brief discussion with Emilya about the timing of far red light during the day under flowering and had decided to go with 1 hr 600 W HPS then 10 hr 1000 W MH and the final hour under 600 W HPS again, to try and simulate morning and evening far red exposure in the wild. I was so impressed with the results of the additional 450 W HPS during the middle of the day during vegetative, I have decided on a different light schedule. Since flip I have been running the 1000 W MH for 12 hrs and supplementing with 450 W HPS for 2 hrs in the morning and evening. We shall see if this stimulates a stronger flowering response.

Day 8 post flip

Lots of pre-flowering going on and thankfully no hermaphrodites yet. They are gulping lots of water, so I have to add to the reservoir daily. Still growing about an inch a day. The big girl is now 28 " tall.

I discovered I had many feet of pipe cleaner lying around and found it to be the perfect material to hold up the side branches. Repeatedly adjustable. You don't have to worry about tying knots in string that are eventually too loose.

I'm still feeding several mL of malt vinegar daily as a C source for the bacteria to feed on, but I just got 1 kg of anhydrous critic acid, which I will switch to soon. A 10% solution will provide lots of usable energy for the bugs. I'm also still foliar feeding the kelp suspension daily just after lights out. Switched to the flowering nutrients last week at flip. I use full strength according to the manufacturer recommendations. I'm even using the Remo Astrobloom add-on this grow. I have never bought the extra additives before, thinking that if the formulators do their jobs right then you shouldn't need add-ons. I didn't go with the Natures Candy additive though. It seems to be amino acid based and I think that would add too much carbon to the system.

Day 16 post flip

Buds are forming. Stretch seems to have slowed. The big one is 106 cm (42"). Some of the side branches are as tall as the main cola. This sure is a stretchy plant for what they call an Indica strain. Starting to get some odour from the plants. Bunch of pictures:

Day 24 post flip

Not much odour from the plants yet. They better stop growing soon. The big one is 140 cm tall. Nice bud development so far. They are guzzling water like crazy. I can't let them go two days without topping up the reservoir.

My HPS lamp started acting up. I could hear an arcing noise and the lamp would dim. It cycled like this for a while. This morning before the light came on I checked and found I could give it an eighth turn. That seems to have fixed it. The lamp should be good for quite a while longer. In fact I have never blown a HID bulb in my many years of using them. Just watch, now I will actually have to replace one since I mentioned it.

Day 34 post flip

A delicate perfume begins to fill the house. They stopped stretching at 150 cm and I have been trying to get the side branches tied up before they start to sag too much, but I hate moving things. Plants will find their own best space by themselves. The poor Dr Seedsman CBD is getting buried under the CPK but it should still produce a fair harvest. The reservoir needs changing every five day now because they are drinking/feeding so much. I'm also at full nutrient levels for blooming now. I have been following the manufacturers recommended feed rates and so far so good.

Day 46 post flip

I labeled the pictures with the wrong days. Oh well. They are progressing way faster than I expect since they are supposed to go for another 4 weeks. Some of the large fan leaves that have been in the light are turning yellow with a bit of purple before shrivelling. One plant is starting to fox tail a bit. The Dr Seedsman is still putting out new growth but the rest are pretty much done. Water consumption is way down the last week.

Day 54 post flip

Water consumption is down even more as the fan leaves die off. Any branch not tied up is now hanging down. The odour has changed a bit as they get closer to the day. It's now a bit more skunky than the green perfume smell of before. I have turned the main MH down to 750 W and the twilight HPS down to 450 W. This is to further simulate late fall lighting and keep the terpenes from boiling off in the last few weeks. The one plant is still fox tailing quite a bit. Dr. Seedsman is still putting out new growth. Too bad a lot of it got buried by the big CPK's on either side. Still about three weeks to go according to the breeder. Lot of photo's today

Day 67 post flip

I haven't updated in a while because nothing much changes visually. The leaves are quite purple out of the light. The ones that were purple under the light are now yellow and drying. The odour of the plants has changed couple of times recently. First they went skunky, now they are fruity. Still lots of clear trichomes but they are getting cloudier. Another 10 days or so I expect.

Day 75 post flip

I got a bit eager for the big day and took off as many large leaves as I could figuring they should be close at 75 days. I looked at the macro shots and see there are still lots of clear trichomes and no amber. Oh well, its not as though those leaves were doing very much anymore. It smelled like grapes in the room as I pruned. I forgot to get a shot of the Dr Seedsman CBD. It has greenish buds and yellow leaves at this point.

Day 80 post flip. Harvest.

They still weren't ready yet, according to the trichomes, but the plants were starting to suffer, even though they still had food and light. The reduced light intensity I have been giving them was not enough to fully mature the buds, but they are at the end of their life cycle. I need more lumens without IR darn it, which means LED's.

I gave them 36 hrs of dark before harvest and didn't turn on the big lights during cutting. It took about 4 hrs without doing much of any trimming. My back gave out before I could finish the bottom branches. I leave a lot of the sugar leaves on the buds to protect them until use.

Since the big lights weren't on, the quality of the photos isn't great. I will try to get some better shots of some buds after hanging. These are the most intense purple coloured plants I have grown yet. Looking forward to the tasters.

I finished off most of the lower branches on the second day of chop but eventually gave up on the popcorn. They were sticky, and years ago I would have saved them, but I have more than enough from previous harvests stored. The first day branches are still hanging and the lower buds were trimmed for drying off the stems. Still a few days till jarring.

I got all the major roots out of the system and flushed well before adding hydrated bacteria and fungi. I will let it rot for a few days and do another flush to get out the rootlets. Usually I shut the system down for the summer, due to heat and insects getting into the grow room, but I am tempted to try a summer grow this year. I just won a bunch of seeds from The Vault during the recent contest. There are some “super secret” new seeds they won’t even talk about yet, coming to my house shortly. How can I resist growing that. Besides I am accumulating seeds faster than growing them so I must fix that.

I will try to get some pictures of the harvest up soon. Stay tuned for a potential new grow. I generally start a new journal for each grow so I will list a link if I do

The CPK tasters are delicious. Very complex terpenoid blend. I put the popcorn in a jar today, but none of the stuff hanging is ready yet. Flushed and added more bugs to the rocks today. Since I have a clean grow room and free seeds coming from England I figured I should use up some seeds that were in the fridge. I was going to do THC Bomb before the Seedsman grow so I threw those seeds into the germinator. It looks like a really nice strain. I see Seedsman may have another comparison grow soon with Peyote strains. I want in on that too! Too many strains, too little time.

I got the Dr Seedsman CBD put into a jar. Interesting odour. Citrus based. The big branches of CPK are still not ready to jar yet. I did get a shot of the hanging branches which turned out OK. I've been emptying large glass jars filled with old harvests and putting them into vacuum sealed bags. Today I put away about 8 oz of GG4 and 6 oz of Blue Cheese. I still have 7 - 8 oz of Eleven Roses from the previous harvest in a jar. I wish I enjoyed edibles more so I could do something with it.

I started a new journal in case anyone is interested. Thanks to those of you that have been watching. and hopefully see you in the new thread.

Dusted Does THC Bomb

Back
Top Bottom