Seedsman's Auto Northern Lights not popping

it's not mine

So I set out 1 Auto Northern Lights seed, 1 8 Ball Kush seed, and 2 Medical Moby Dick seeds using the paper towel method. 8 Ball Kush and Moby Dick sprouted in 2 days but nothing from the Northern Lights seed. I should note that I was using the sandpaper tube method of scarifying.

After 1 week, I added an additional Northern Lights seed using a more gentle scarifying. 12 days now and still no germinating. For the last Northern Lights seed I'm soaking it in warm water then tomorrow I'll put it in with the other unsprouted 2 seeds and see what happens.

Has anyone had this issue with this strain before? Am I doing something wrong?

The Northern Lights and 8 Ball Kush seeds are from Seedsman's and the Moby Dick is from Grower's Choice.

Sometimes one strain takes longer, but that's a long time. Maybe a bad batch idk. Give the last one the soak method, it's my favorite. Viable seeds will sink when they've absorbed water. I give them 24 hrs then straight into the rockwool even without a taproot showing.

Your process sounds about right. No real need for warm water though. I wouldn't use ice water but the temp shouldn't matter that much.

While the sandpaper thing is a good back up plan if you have seeds that won't pop. I have never had to use it. I have never did any of those extra things you find mentioned. Most seeds pop all on their own. Doing anything to help that may hurt also in some cases. I don't know if you can drown a seed in the shell or not. Creating a way for more water to get into the seed may be a bad thing. I do know a seed left with too much water in the paper towel for to long can drown a seed so who knows. I know there are only a few strains that have a extra hard shell where scaring is needed.

That is why it is best to stick with just the basics when sprouting seeds. It is really hard to get germination instructions from some breeders. REMEMBER lots of these seeds are still illegal to grow. I don't know of any breeder out there that suggests scarification as a part of germination.

With lots of people starting only a seed or two. I can understand wanting to try this from the start. You can't go back and do the sandpaper thing after they have been soaked. You need the best chance of success as possible. After 30 years of growing I have found my best success came with the basic paper towel method as is, as the most successful.

Just to update...I added a third Northern Lights seed to the paper towels. Didn't scarify it this time. Popped in a day. Learning lesson, I guess.

And now, we're on our way
No need to hurry just to get from day to day
Woo hoo!

Back
Top Bottom