Seeking Advice on Cloning

Flats Rat

I have harvested my winter grow and quite happy with the yield, quality, and experience. That being said, on my next grow I would like to clone an additional plant or two+. My question is multi-layered, when is the best time during growth, where on the mother plant is best to take the clone, what initial treatment is used is assist the clone survival and to root, should it be placed in the soil immediately or an alternative media?

Thank you for your responses

Cloning process' vary. I use a cloner personally.
The best clones are thicker branches from anywhere on the plant. Use clones that look " woody" as they will be stronger candidates.
Use a rooting powder or gel. I prefer life or clonex. Cut the end of the branch at a 45 degree angle and dip in rooting solution and place directly in the cloner or a moist peat pot. Do not let oxygen get inside the cut end. When I take clones, I place them in a small glass of water until I have all of them I need, cut at a 45 degree with a razor blade, and dip.
Takes about 1 to 3 weeks to get massive roots. My process takes about 6 to 8 days. When roots are fully formed, I plant directly in soil.

Clones are easy. Don't overthink this one.

Best time is in veg or early flower. I prefer to take my clones when the plant is thirsty. Learned that from Doc Bud.

Location, really not that important other then you want it from a mature branch or one that has leaves with seven fingers. Really, it's not that important where you get your cut from. Although I rarely try to clone a top. I usually chuck the tops and take my cuts from lower branches.

There are all kinds of cloning products these days. I use the RX Green Technologies line of cloning products. Dip the cut into their gel, put that into a root roit plug, into trays with cloning water, spray with cloning mist, cover for the first three days. And seven to ten days later you've got legs, or roots coming from the plugs.

Cloning is easy. Just use clean sterile gear and keep the humidity high for a few days and you'll see. ;)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom