Seeking advice on sound-/light-proofing materials

Android

Hi

I need some help to solve a problem with setting up a stealth mother/clone 24/7 vegging closet.

This is where I am planning on doing it:

inside view:

IMG_20110402_095219.jpg

outside view:
IMG_20110402_095242.jpg

This is an old basement and it is lined with wood planks of different sizes. After 60 years of drying out / expanding wood is in a pretty beat-up shape, and painting it over multiple times did not cover it up much.

As you can see, if I put lights in there like it stands right now- it would be shining like a lighthouse - and this is the first thing you would see coming off the stairwell.

The place is limited, so instead of doing full-blown walls, I wanted to simply line it up on the inside with some thick poly, then drywall it, and then seam the seams with drywall tape, caulk it, and paint it over with water-resistant paint. Does this seem like an overkill to you? I will not be using HIDs there, just a bunch of CFLs, but still - I want to make it as lightproof as possible.
Is there an easier way to do that? Should I just staple two layers of 3mm black poly while placing cardboard squares under the staples instead?

I have not seen an aero cloner yet, but I expect it to sound somewhat like a fishtank - poly is no help at masking sounds. Does this mean I need to drywall
it at the very least? AFAIK, regular drywall is no help either, so I need to use some kind of soundproof, water-resistant backer board or something... what else can I find at my local Home Depot stores for soundproofing?

I also have a question about the floor. It is cold hard concrete, and probably hosts all kind of spores of molds and whatnot. I have some tile laying around, but that would require me to raise it up to the height of two-by-fours on the bottom, right? The backerboard I saw at a store is not that thick, so this poses a question - do I have to put several layers of it, or what?
Should I do anything at all about the floor at all? What is your take

I apologize for the lack of coherence. I am completely sober, but have ADD, and English is my third language so I suck really bad on communicating clearly...sorry
Appreciate your help though

Hey Android,

First off, your English is not bad at all. Even with your ADD and third tongue.

A nice thick poly done well will take care of the light leaks. I would use firing strips and staple it down with a good air stapler.

For noise reduction, for a small space as this, I think it will be the air pump making noise. Lots of ways to reduce the noise of those, bungie cord hangers, sitting on foam come to mind.

Good start, keep reading the forums on growing and the journals.

Keep the faith!

Prairie
Prairie

Thanks for your input and kind words, Prairie...
I have decided to go with the reflective bubble-wrap kind of insulation material (forgot the brand name) that I lined my bloom room with...Judging from the latest grow pics posted on this forum, I can tell it becomes a new standard among growers. It is pretty durable - resists cuts and tear, can be easily cleaned and reflects light in a very uniform way, at the same time it seems to not let any light through at all - I really like that stuff

By referring to noise from just an air pump, you must be implying that a bubble cloner has an advantage over sprinkler type, at least by amount of noise produced, is that right? I found a write-up how to build one, and its speed and reliability seems to be comparable to sprinkler-type air cloners, while sprinkler types are more expensive, complicated and noisy.
Another option I wanted to check, would be fog cloners (since I already own a fogger - left from my mushroom closet setup). But foggers are not completely silent either - they make some splashing noise just like bubblers do. The thing I don't like about the foggers - they depend too much on the right water level, and slight fluctuations make sizable impact on fog production, therefore I see them being much less reliable that bubbler-cloners. I haven't seen anyone talk about fog cloners here, though.

Thanks for your input and kind words, Prairie...
I have decided to go with the reflective bubble-wrap kind of insulation material (forgot the brand name) that I lined my bloom room with...Judging from the latest grow pics posted on this forum, I can tell it becomes a new standard among growers. It is pretty durable - resists cuts and tear, can be easily cleaned and reflects light in a very uniform way, at the same time it seems to not let any light through at all - I really like that stuff

By referring to noise from just an air pump, you must be implying that a bubble cloner has an advantage over sprinkler type, at least by amount of noise produced, is that right? I found a write-up how to build one, and its speed and reliability seems to be comparable to sprinkler-type air cloners, while sprinkler types are more expensive, complicated and noisy.
Another option I wanted to check, would be fog cloners (since I already own a fogger - left from my mushroom closet setup). But foggers are not completely silent either - they make some splashing noise just like bubblers do. The thing I don't like about the foggers - they depend too much on the right water level, and slight fluctuations make sizable impact on fog production, therefore I see them being much less reliable that bubbler-cloners. I haven't seen anyone talk about fog cloners here, though.

Here is a thread....
Making The SH Mistic Cloner
and here
Homemade Aero Cloner

Try those out and see if they help.

Prairie

Back
Top Bottom