Selective Antiepileptic Effects Of N-Palmitoylethanolamide

Truth Seeker

Abstract

PURPOSE:
The purpose of this study was to determine whether N-palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), a putative endocannabinoid, would be effective against kindled amygdaloid seizures. For a comparison with earlier work, we also tested the effectiveness of PEA against pentylenetetrazol (PTZ)-induced convulsions.

METHODS:
Kindling electrodes were implanted bilaterally in the amygdala in 32 Long-Evans rats. After the kindling of generalized (stage 5) seizures, the effects of PEA administration [i.p.; 1, 10, 100 mg/kg in dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO)] were evaluated for anticonvulsant activity. PEA (40 mg/kg, i.p. in DMSO) also was tested for anticonvulsant activity against PTZ-induced convulsions (75 mg/kg, i.p.).

RESULTS:
After i.p. administration of PEA, kindled rats displayed an increased latency to clonus at the 1-mg/kg dose. No other dose-dependent effects were noted. When tested against PTZ-induced convulsions, PEA protected against tonic convulsions and prolonged the latency between convulsive episodes.

CONCLUSIONS:
PEA produces antiepileptic effects, but does not completely suppress seizures. The mechanism of action of PEA remains to be defined.

Source: Selective antiepileptic effects of N-palmitoyletha... [Epilepsia. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Back
Top Bottom