Self Growth Journal #1

Day 14:
IMAG00394.jpg

IMAG0038_2_.jpg

IMAG00376.jpg

IMAG00365.jpg

There are several options you have for cooling your reservoir. Reservoir chillers will cool it but you have to spend some cash. For a quick solution (short term), put some plastic bottles filled 3/4 full of water into your freezer and then put them into your reservoir after they've been frozen.
Another solution is to draw air from a cold source for your bubbler. :goodluck:

Cheers HR, was thinking of putting a few of those blue ice packs you can get but a plastic bottle will be better as I can have that as large as need instead loads of ice packs, will stick some in freezer tonight.

Getting a cold air supply is tricky without having yet another noise making machine, I'm hoping that when I get the extractor in there tomorrow it will take some of the heat out straight away.

I've also changed the fogger from permanently on to coming on after the nutes spraying but for only 30 minutes at a time with a good 30 minute break, as I'm sure that it's heating the solution, might take it out completely as they seemed fine without it anyway.

I'm actually thinking of changing the set up completely so as the plants are in long chambers like this Yaroots set up YAROOTS High quality Aeroponics Systems

All the best
Toaor

Got any more up to date pictures of your grow?

I wouldn't suggest the blue ice packs as they could potentially leak...and that wouldn't be good so I would stick with the frozen water bottles. I don't have any more pictures as the babies haven't grown that much. I will have more pictures this coming weekend for sure. How far is your light from your girls? They might be stretching just a tad. :peace:

Just a quick update no time today.

Since switching fogger to timer the temp of nutes has gone right down, don't know what to again didn't have time to test but will do tomorrow.

Haven't put iced bottles of water in yet and may not need to.

Toaor

Day 17:

Changed nute solution today as fogger is making it go at a faster rate so was close to the pump minimum levels.

Did up 18L instead of 9L mixing in approx 45ml of Canna Aqua Vega A+B, the pH was 5.9 at start.

The previous nutes were up to pH of 7.6 and I only changed nutes on Mon/Tues but I think having the fogger on full time for the first couple of days didn't do it much good.

The fogger now only comes on for 15 mins every hour as does the air pump, the nutes get sprayed 5 minutes every hour.

They seem to be getting very tightly packed with new growth starting at the base of each set of leaves.

I've moved the light to approx 3" above them and will leave it at that height until they reach it, which is what I did previously rather than keep it 3" from them all the time. We'll see how long it takes to get there, I reckon about 3 or 4 days.

The Root Riot cubes are drying out a little on the top so I'm also now spraying with Canna Rhizotonic, which can be administered 1-6 a day but it will raise the pH according to Canna website.

This is a great learning process for me and so far I'm pleased with progress, would be nice if they were a little further ahead but I think that was down to not getting nutes right to start with and too much fogger, which heated the nute solution to over 37degrees and raised the pH to 7.9

I have decided to get some new plastic boxes that are lower and slightly longer so will build a completely new set of spray pipes with 6 or 8 sprayers instead of just the 4 at present.

Best regards,
Toaor
PICT1856.JPG
PICT1855.JPG
PICT1854.JPG
PICT1853.JPG
PICT1851.JPG
PICT1850.JPG
PICT1849.JPG

Day 19:

Morning all and welcome to the new week, I hope you have a good one.

Just been in to the girls and these are the latest pics, tallest plant is now approx 15cms, next about 14cms and the last one 13cms, strange seeing as same seeds all planted at same time in same conditions.

There is a slight yellowing of the leaf tips, which is a little concerning.

The roots on the bigger plant are now just dipping into the solution below so I'm going to get a bigger airstone and have it running more or less permanently to keep nutes oxygenated.

Temperature in cupboard seems to be more stable and lower than it was since I put the extractor fan in but it does make a bit of a noise.

Have been spraying them with Canna Rhizotonic, which is supposed to strengthen root growth.

I try to take some more close up pictures later but it's quite difficult as the roots are so long I can't really rest them on anything while taking pic.

That's it for now might post again later.

At some point I'll take some pictures of the actual set up as it's a little different to everything I've looked. I na s much as all the Aeroponic systems I've seen pictures of show PVC piping, coupling joints etc located in the bottom of the resevoir.

Mine is normal 13mm piping suspended around the top of the plastic box held in place by cable ties so the spray nozzles are less than 10cms from net pots.

Plus it is much easier to build than PVC pipes and coupling joints, I have one T-bar connecting it up into a loop with nozzles stuck into pipe, very simple to set up.

Anyway just my two penneth.

Best regards all,
Toaor

Day 19:

Some more pictures this time the roots and my one pipe set up with cable ties.

Love the droplets of nutes you can see spraying on the roots.

Just measured pH again and it's back up at 7.7 !!!

I only change them on Saturday what is going on guys they were at 5.9 when I set it less than 48hrs ago.

The temperature is now between 28-33 in the cupboard and varies because the extractor is only on for 15 mins every hour, don't want to keep it running permanently if I can help it.

Any ideas lovely people?

Toaor

PS: I was quite lucky earlier as I noticed that the black plastic bin liner I have round the plastic box had a nice squishy bulge, which turned out to be the nutes over spraying and dribbling down the outside.

There was well over a liter and I am sooo glad I put the bag round them or that would have been coming through the ceiling and then the game would've been up to others in the house
PICT1867.JPG
PICT1866.JPG
PICT1864.JPG
PICT1863.JPG
PICT1862.JPG
!!!

PPS: The liquid you can see on the leaves is the Canna Rhizotonic I've been spraying on since Saturday and the roots do seem to becoming thicker, longer and more hairy, they are now actually in the nutes around 1-2cms, which is why I now have air pump running 24/7

Toaor

Day 20:

The pH levels are through the roof again 7.9/8.0 so I've just bought some pH Down, which will go in tomorrow.

Plants are around 15cms tall and only about 2" from the LED light, I've been told I should now put them into flowering but I personally think they are a little small yet so am going to keep going for another week and then flower.

Also bought some Bloombastic for the girls, expensive stuff at £28 ($45) for 1 liter bottle, fortunately you don't have to use too much at a time so should last a while.

Latest pics here.

All the best,
Toaor
PICT1871.JPG
PICT1870.JPG
PICT1869.JPG
PICT1868.JPG

Day 21:

Morning all, just been in to the girls and they have changed in last 24hrs to be more perky as you can see from the leaves, they seem more angled upward and look healthier but the only thing I've been doing different is the spraying with Rhizotonic for root production since Saturday 4 sprays a day.

This morning I've just used some pH Down by Growth Technology to get it down from 8.0 to 6.1, I've then given them a spray of the Rhizotonic, which will raise the pH according to Canna but at least it's in the right region to start.

I was told yesterday to start flowering them as they are now 21 days from seed germination but I think they're too small measuring 14/15cms.

Any thought people?

I was also told they will triple in size during flowering, is this true?

I thought the height growth stopped once they go into flowering.

If they are going to triple in size the I can let them carry on till they are 20cms, which should give a final height of around 60cms. That leaves me enough room for the light as the grow tank is around 40cms and I only have a total 120cms.

I intend using the Bloombastic I bought yesterday during the flowering process.

Can I tell the sex of my babies before I put them to flower?

I can't see any white hairs and it's very difficult to tell what is new growth tips from the sex parts of the plant.

Any advice welcome.

Best regards all
Toao
PICT1880.JPG
PICT1879.JPG
PICT1878.JPG
PICT1877.JPG
PICT1876.JPG
PICT1875.JPG
PICT1874.JPG
PICT1873.JPG
PICT1872.JPG
r

High Toaor. You can put them into flower whenever you like. They fill definitely double, if not triple, in size during flowering.

You won't be able to tell sex with 100% certainty until you put them into flower. Many strains will develop pre-flowers when whey mature in veg but as I said you need to flower them before you can be certain.

Hope this helps :grinjoint:

Hey HR, thanks for that I think I'm going to see how tall they are come the weekend and if they're nearing 20cms I'll put to flower, if not I'll carry on another few days till they are as that seems to be about the optimum size if they're going to double or treble overall.

Shame I didn't have it all right from the start I think they'd be much further ahead but it's been a great learning curve and I'm not in any hurry.

Nutes are now right, pH is right, temp correct, extractor working, air pump 24/7 and I can definitely see a difference from yesterday to today much more upright and perky as you can see from the photos they were a bit droopy.

I also think I'll notice a big difference when put to flower as the LED panel is definitely more red than blue light so I may get a slightly different blue light for vegging period next time.

Am also thinking of now going for Autoflowering seeds, that way I can start some new one's a week or two before harvesting and won't have to change the light cycle.

Need short bushy plants rather than tall skinny rockets

All the best,
Toaor

Back
Top Bottom