Sen. Scott Fitzgerald: Will Leader Ignore Majority Mandate For MMJ?

MedicalNeed

MADISON: When AB554/SB368, the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act (JRMMA) failed to pass the Wisconsin Legislature in early 2010, it was not for lack of popular support. Polling in 2002 and 2005 had established support in the 75%-80% range.

Over the summer of 2010, IMMLY and Madison NORML made open records requests of a number of state lawmakers. In an earlier article I reported on State Sen. Julie Lassa (D-Milladore) and how her records revealed that two special interests, not her constituents, had decided her position. Lassa ultimately joined with Health Committee Republicans to kill the JRMMA.

Another lawmaker who was unhelpful was Sen. Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau). Fitzgerald, who served as senate minority leader in the 2009-2010 session, will be majority leader beginning Jan. 3, 2011. His brother Jeff Fitzgerald (R-Horicon) will be Assembly Speaker. Since 1993, the Assembly has been in Republican hands all but the 2099-2010 session.

In late July a request was made to Sen. Fitzgerald for "Phone logs and copies of correspondence from all parties who contacted your office regarding the medical marijuana bills AB554/SB368 the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act during the 2009-2010 legislative session."

The records arrived a few weeks later. Unlike Senator Lassa and others, Sen. Fitzgerald did not charge for the records or redact information. There were no phone logs included as requested, but there were 191 pages, mostly copies of pre-written letters, all in support. There was nothing in the file expressing opposition. 100% support.

Here are a few highlights:

"I urge you to be a Progressive Republican and represent Wisconsin tradition. Forward!" -R.C., Lake Mills constituent in note supporting the JRMMA.

"
Marijuana is very helpful to people with ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease and irritable bowel syndrome. It is also helpful for people with anxiety disorders and many other illnesses. Legalizing marijuana for (at least) medical purposes is ling overdue. I hope that you will support this bill." - D.T., RN, Oconomowoc.

"I have panic attacks and become very sick because of my nerves. I don't want to have a record because I am using a natural way to heal my symptoms." - S.D., Watertown, who added she had recently been arrested for cannabis.

J.W. a Dodge County patient wrote that his condition, Fibrous dysplasia, had already caused him nine leg breaks since childhood and he was only 31. He also noted opiates did not work on the painful symptoms he suffers, but that cannabis works almost as well without the "terrible soul-rending" addiction problems of opiates.

There was a letter from an amputee stating that cannabis relieved his phantom limb pain that other medications did not touch. There was a letter from a constituent who is a doctor, in support of passage.

There was a notation from one staffer to another, "Here is another to add to list of supports for medical marijuana".

So where is Sen. Fitzgerald on the issue?

The public record is slim. Fitzgerald and his staff did not embrace the JRMMA in numerous visits to his office with patients like Mary Powers, a disabled veteran who visited 80 offices with me before cancer too k her in Oct. 2009. A Nov. 25, 2009 Capital Times article, written just after the JRMMA was introduced, erroneously reported, "his position appeared to be softening:"

Senate Minority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, who as recently as October said he would not back any medical marijuana proposal, says he still opposes it, according to spokeswoman Kimber Liedl, but there is a "but."

"With the AMA's recent recommendation to study marijuana further, Scott's interested in seeing some of the research that will come out of that," says Liedl. -- "Will state join others in legalizing medical marijuana?" Nov. 25, 2009, Capital Times.

As I noted in post-election coverage, Fitzgerald came in second to yes votes for the Dane County Medical Marijuana Referendum in the wards that overlapped with his senate district:

For example, in the six Dane County wards of current State Senate Minority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Beaver Dam), the Senator was outpolled in each, demonstrating that medical cannabis support transcends partisan politics.

0001 T ALBION WDS 1-2 527/340
0008 T CHRISTIANA WDS 1-2 311/270
0012 T DEERFIELD WDS 1-2 452/345
0043 V CAMBRIDGE WDS 2-3 379/288
0047 V DEERFIELD WDS 1-4 626/413
0065 V ROCKDALE WD 1 66/51

With the brothers Fitzgerald set to lead both houses of the state legislature in the next session, there is no indication the issue is even on the radar much less a priority despite the overwhelming support expressed by their constituents along with those of their 130 colleagues, plus the aforementioned polling and referendum results. Not to mention the job creation angle seen in other mmj states. This is an issue Wisconsinites agree on, except unfortunately the necessary majority of the 132 state lawmakers we elect to make such decisions. Is this how democracy is supposed to work?

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: examiner.com
Author: Gary Storck
Copyright:Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com
Website:Sen. Scott Fitzgerald: Will leader ignore majority mandate for MMJ? - Madison norml | Examiner.com

Back
Top Bottom