SendWaves' 2x2 Soil Nigerian Sunshine Grow Journal, March 2020

I'm harvesting in 2 stages (the gf likes more of an energetic smoke, I prefer a heavier melt into the couch smoke). Stage 1 is happening in...15 minutes. Will drop a bunch of content here in the next few hours. It is my first harvest after all, so send those good vibes!

HARVEST TIME

These last 63 days of flowering felt like eternity. It was incredible to watch the gradual development and eventual fattening of the buds. The gf and I had a couple of tiffs while we were locked in for Corona, so I got ample use of the air mattress for a few nights and slept next to my Nigerian Sunshine side-piece. In all seriousness though I really connected with this plant. She had a presence in my office and radiated a positive energy. We bonded during long smoke sessions where we would converse about all sorts of things. “How are you feeling tonight? What is your preferred way to drink water (@Emilya post is a must read)? Is there enough amber on those trichomes? How many gallons of water would you like for your flushing?” And finally…”Are you ready to move into the next realm of positive energy and peaceful vibes? Tonight she was.

I was using a jeweler's loupe magnifier to examine her trichomes every 2-3 days after week 7. Like everything else with this grow I researched everything I could about how to tell when the time was just right to cut her down. The most difficult part was learning how to use the magnifier, it took a lot of practice and I’m still a little clumsy with the thing. Just in time, the HD digital wifi magnifier I bought online last week arrived. This made it way easier to check each section of the plant and I captured some magical shots of those triches. Seeing an average of about 40% amber I decided it was time and the bittersweet process of harvesting my pride and joy began.

First I freed her from the binds of the ScrOG. I knew she was going to bless my first grow with a better than average yield, but it was hard to tell exactly how much was stuffed under that screen. While I don’t have the experience with another grow to compare it to, I was shocked at how much weight she put on under the ScrOG...totally stacked. It took almost ten minutes for me to carefully cut the plastic away from bud site after bud site, all tangled up in this mass of weed.

Wet vs. dry trimming and whole-plant or branch drying became a bit of an obsessive research problem while I tried to decide which way was best. In the end I decided to harvest and dry her using two different methods. I chopped the stock, hung it upside down and tied it off to the top of the tent. Then I dissected each of the three main branches to allow some breathing room throughout each primary cola. The main colas will remain on the plant to dry, then dry trimmed before curing. The smaller branches of buds I trimmed wet and laid flat on a layer of cheesecloth I fastened under the hanging plant. I’m looking forward to discovering the differences in nose and taste when the time finally comes to light up.

For those with a good eye for yield, what’s your best guess on this one? I have no idea how much weight is typically lost during the drying process, but I’m going to wager...8 ounces.

I’ll post a short update when I’m ready to cure and post the official weight of the dry bud yield. In the meantime, enjoy some of these pictures from today. Namaste.

Attachments

• Nigerian Sunshine Main Colas.jpeg
    Nigerian Sunshine Main Colas.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • Nigerian Sunshine.jpeg
    Nigerian Sunshine.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
Nice photography SW.
Congratulations on your first successful harvest! Can’t beat home grown. Not sure on the yield just as long as it gets you two happily to harvest two. When’s that btw?
I liked looking up under the net. Thanks for the POV.
Hope you got good again with mischief? (That’s ms gf if you mumble).

:high-five: You have to be happy with that! Smoking her is going to be so sweet
I'm very much looking forward to it man and I am beyond happy with the results from this first one.
Nice photography SW.
Congratulations on your first successful harvest! Can’t beat home grown. Not sure on the yield just as long as it gets you two happily to harvest two. When’s that btw?
I liked looking up under the net. Thanks for the POV.
Hope you got good again with mischief? (That’s ms gf if you mumble).
So I ended up clipping off a few buds and bringing them to a mentor to get a second opinion on trich color. He took one look and told me to chop the whole thing down, so I cut her down all at once-not wanting to miss the harvest window. The comparison between the buds I took off the plant and trimmed wet to the main colas I left on the whole plant to dry and trim afterwards should still be a pretty fun post-harvest experiment.

Fam what should I do with this jar of sugar leaves and wet trimmings I have now?

Fam what should I do with this jar of sugar leaves and wet trimmings I have now?
I’m for drying and curing it the same as you do for flower. It dries faster though, so you have to catch it while it’s still curable or it forever tastes of catpiss.
By coincidence I’m smoking some now. With a generous amount of kief in it you’d think it was some of the best sensimilla you ever bought.

I read this persuasive piece on treating trim and couldn’t find anything to disagree with.

Yep. You still have to dry it to get it squishable. 62%RH is optimal. So, that puts us right in the cure zone. That's why I treat it the same as flower. Keeps everything simple.

Back
Top Bottom