Sensi’s Eagle Bill Gets Its First Grow On 420 Mag

Aroxol

Spinning up a new journal for what I believe is the first grow of Sensi Seeds Eagle Bill strain on 420 Mag. Eagle Bill (the man) has a pretty incredible legacy that I suspect has impacted all of us, either directly or indirectly, with or without you knowing, at some point in our cannabis journeys.

According to Sensi, this strain is comprised of mixture of Pure Haze, Colombian, Thai, and Jamaican landraces. I’m pretty stoked to grow it because it sounds like the type of old school smoke you can roll a fat joint of and enjoy, and still be ready to take on the day. Feel free to step into the time machine as we take it back and revisit some of the old school strains that started it all.

I’ve popped seeds and pulled aside 4 plants that visually/ structurally appear to be 4 unique phenotypes. These are being sent into Phylos to determine sex and pending those results, we’re off to the races.

Setup
-B’Cuzz Coco (With Perlite)
-VegBloom, ReCharge, Myco Jordan
-Autopots (3.9 Gal)
-Advanced LED

And then knowing me I’ll probably fire off the best looking cut into the RDWC rig as well because why not.

Here’s the 4 plants I believe to be different phenos, looking forward to test results which will be in by late next week.

Results are in and BOOYAH, 3 out the 4 plants tested are female! Just transplanted them into a slightly larger container and killed the rest off. Will let these plants veg for a bit in a small cabinet and then move to the real tent/ lights once I harvest the bulk in 10-14 days + dry time.

Topped these girls today and decided to try grafting onto a different (cannabis) plant because otherwise I would’ve had to throw them out. Approach was what I’d classify as last minute/ not well thought out at all.

1-Cut off 3 branches from mom and split said branches down the middle
2-Topped eagle plants/ dipped cuttings in rooting gel
3-Shoved afformentioned cuttings into branches
4-Wrapped graft site
5-Covered with a somewhat clear used grocery bag

Predicted odds of success = 13%

Btw, I’m starting to feel like I’m talking to myself on this forum. Throw me a bone here folks, otherwise I’ll just go back to talking to my dogs and you’ll miss out on all my awesome stories and photos.

Hard to see the last pic with that blue light , normally I say burple light . Are you that blue for the veg ? And I don’t want you to feel your talking to yourself. I try to get to everybody’s threads ,sometimes incognito but it’s hard not to hit something you like scrolling through seeing what I can learn . I’m in hydro learning soil now have another to learn from yours . The biggest soil one I have learned a lot from is @Emilya . Still how about a better pic on the last one ?

For you, WH, anything!

Here’s the no lights photo of the graft (if that’s what you wanted to see). Taken this morning, already completely wilted over, but we’ll see if any movement happens over the next couple weeks. Idk what a successful graft looks like on day one, so no preconceived notions. I’ll take some no blue light photos of the actual eagle plants once I get home on Friday.

For you, WH, anything!

Here’s the no lights photo of the graft (if that’s what you wanted to see). Taken this morning, already completely wilted over, but we’ll see if any movement happens over the next couple weeks. Idk what a successful graft looks like on day one, so no preconceived notions. I’ll take some no blue light photos of the actual eagle plants once I get home on Friday.
I have never done a graft I really want to see that succeed!

Me too man, and with our positivity combined I think it has a shot.
I was telling InTheShed about the graft . Be sure and keep the pics coming on this grow . Have you found other threads with graft work ?

I was telling InTheShed about the graft . Be sure and keep the pics coming on this grow . Have you found other threads with graft work ?
Oh yeah for sure - LA, the willow graft, etc.. I’m located in CA and work to be a law abiding citizen (meaning plant count is SERIOUSLY limited), so I really hope I can solve this grafting riddle. If I can, things could get real interesting - different phenos if same strain grated onto the same branch, different strains across the plant, etc.. Love having you and BobbyZ on board, been missing a thread with some interaction! Cant hurt my feelings guys, so offer up any and everything.

Oh yeah for sure - LA, the willow graft, etc.. I’m located in CA and work to be a law abiding citizen (meaning plant count is SERIOUSLY limited), so I really hope I can solve this grafting riddle. If I can, things could get real interesting - different phenos if same strain grated onto the same branch, different strains across the plant, etc.. Love having you and BobbyZ on board, been missing a thread with some interaction! Cant hurt my feelings guys, so offer up any and everything.
Sometimes it’s a little slow , With what your doing your fixing to see a lot of growers in here . I’ll be spreading the news !

Your blowing my mind with different strains on the same plant! Or maybe I live under a rock...

The ultimate graft mom genuinely seems like the coolest weed thing to date (for me) - picture this:

This is my Sensi branch
-these nodes are 3 phenos of Eagle Bill
-these are jack herer
-these are black domina

This is my clone only wing
-golden goat
-Cuban black haze
-hardcore OG
-‘97 cup winning SSH
-etc etc

Would be sick. The type of mom that MUST survive.

Welcome aboard!

Quick update folks, been a change of plans in terms of growing style. Long story short, came across a deal on a Current Culture Undercurrent system I couldn’t pass up. I’m rooting a few clones into RW instead of coco, reorganizing my grow space, and then we’ll get going. I’m a bit nervous about vertical space as these systems are not small and notorious for growing trees, but fortune favors the bold right?

Given a change in system, I’m also thinking I’ll probably run their cultured solution nutes, but not 100% yet. All I know for sure is these plants are definitely going to be monsters now. May even throw a small bulk clone into a bucket (space pending) when eagles are ready to flip just to see if I can get a massive single cola structure and if so, how gnarly it’ll get. Stay tuned!

While I’m waiting for my other plant to dry and new clones to root for the new undercurrent system... decided to try another round of grafting. My first attempt failed with flying colors, so here’s what I did on this go around. Major changes were I actually thought through a humidity dome this time, refrained from using any cloning gel, and put the cuttings in water before attempting to graft.

1-Cut the scions and immediately put them in a cup of water and cut fans in half like we all do with clones.
2-Pulled each scion out and shaved down sides of stem with a razor blade and then put them back in cup of water.
3- Made 3 notches/ slits into a single branch on the donor plant.
4- One at a time put the scion into the slit, gently wrapped with plumbers tape, then closed with plant clips.
5- Covered with a gallon ziplock freezer bag that’s held open with plant wire and was sprayed with water.

Have to say, grafting is a little more challenging than I originally thought. If this one fails my next attempt will be with much bigger/ hardier cuttings onto bigger branches. Hard to see (sorry), but it’s difficult to try and take any pics while you’re doing this.

Found an article that talked about if graft scions are wilting within 24 hours success rate is very low, if they aren’t you’ll achieve close to 100% success. Checked the grafts today and they were wilting, so pulled them.

Trying a new approach (using incredible bulk cuttings) on a test plant that I’ll cull anyway. For my third attempt, I drilled small pilot holes in a branch, dipped the scion on cloning gel and then put them in the hole. To my surprise, these are the first ones not to start wilting during the process. Time will tell if this works, but if it does it will hands down be best case scenario because it’s so easy (and who doesn’t love a drill). Til my next failure update! ;)

Back
Top Bottom