Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

re: Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

I've read plenty, but I'll ask you since you have been down this road before :)

Cloudy trichomes=heady type of high
Amber =couch lock
Is this true?

But what if you have a Sativa strain, what effects would the different colors have? And what about Indica?

This is a question I was prepared to ask around December, that's when mine should be ready. But I'll take advantage of your grow, and ask now:cheesygrinsmiley:

That's a generally acceptable assumption Colesdad, but the more scientific explanation is that clear trichomes have very little THC, cloudy ones have the most THC, and amber ones have had much of the THC chemically change into CBD, CBN, etc. If you want more of the "entourage effect" then getting a good mix of amber will do that.

Sativas typically have less tendency to go amber (or not as quickly anyway) and in some cases they haven't, so checking them and harvesting accordingly, as you are doing, is the tack.

:cool:

Gov pretty much stated it best. A good mix of mostly cloudy, 10-15% ambers and the rest clear would be the most balanced and which I prefer. I think the 10-15% amber is very important to the overall potency of the resulting medicine.

That's a generally acceptable assumption Colesdad, but the more scientific explanation is that clear trichomes have very little THC, cloudy ones have the most THC, and amber ones have had much of the THC chemically change into CBD, CBN, etc. If you want more of the "entourage effect" then getting a good mix of amber will do that.

Sativas typically have less tendency to go amber (or not as quickly anyway) and in some cases they haven't, so checking them and harvesting accordingly, as you are doing, is the tack.

Gov pretty much stated it best. A good mix of mostly cloudy, 10-15% ambers and the rest clear would be the most balanced and which I prefer. I think the 10-15% amber is very important to the overall potency of the resulting medicine.

:thanks:

For me I am trying to find my strain which offers the Cannabinoid profiles I desire at peak ripeness which I believe is right where Seraphim, the Gov and others have mentioned is at about 10-15% Amber on the flower. There is still the drying time and curing time which will degrade Cannabinoids further to account for.

So, rather than trying to force a profile by harvesting early or late I choose which plant to grow based on the profile at peak harvest time. It seems counter productive to select a Sativa and then harvest at 80% Amber Trichomes. Harvesting an Indica with 80% clear Trics to prevent body effects seems inefficient as well.

Happy growing!
/Obi Wan
:peace:

Happy Saturday 420MAG friends! Hope today finds you well medicated and with a general smile on your face and your soul.

The clock ticks on and more and more hairs on the buds wither away giving way to what looks like ripe buds! Blue Widow looks quite done to the naked eye. Close trichome inspection however still says “Not Yet!” Ambers are easier to find but I don’t have the 10-15% that I am looking for yet. I thought today would be the day but not the case. She still has a ways to go, maybe next weekend. I don’t think she has a full week left before the 10% shows up. I will not pull before she’s ready, but I do get anxious from looking at her and seeing all those buds that look done (but are not really done yet).

Someone with less experience may tend to harvest now. I know because that is how I learned not do to that. You don't want to get all this way and then ruin it by pulling too early; even though the buds look quite done to the naked eye, they are not done until the trichomes say so. The full 9 weeks of flowering which the breeders recommend for this strain have been met as of tonight. We are now entering week ten, but be it as it may, she will be ready when she decides that she’s good and ready and only then will it be done.

I do however ooooogle over these beauties daily. The therapeutic effects of just being in the presence of such magnificent beauty is, I think, quite under-rated. It is so incredibly relaxing to just sit and stare at these buds in silence and become mesmerized by their lazy sway back and forth from the breeze coming from the fan.

But how rude of me.. here are some pictures.. lets oooogle at them together :)

Blue Widow

IMG_26549.JPG

IMG_266911.JPG

IMG_26596.JPG

IMG_266010.JPG

IMG_266110.JPG

IMG_267112.JPG

Whoever said you needed expensive LEDs to get these.. was mistaken. These buds were grown with a MARS-II 400Watt LED from TopLED (Cost under $200) These are by no means the biggest buds on the planet, but when you take into consideration the cost of the lamp TopLED is a darn good deal! And even though I have not harvested this plant yet, I can already tell the single MARS-II 400 LED which grew this plant definitely paid for itself several times over in just one grow.

I, too, am ooooogle-ing your plants :thumb:

Happy Saturday 420MAG friends! Hope today finds you well medicated and with a general smile on your face and your soul.

:hookah:

Someone with less experience may tend to harvest now. I know because that is how I learned not do to that. You don't want to get all this way and then ruin it by pulling too early; even though the buds look quite done to the naked eye, they are not done until the trichomes say so. The full 9 weeks of flowering which the breeders recommend for this strain have been met as of tonight. We are now entering week ten, but be it as it may, she will be ready when she decides that she’s good and ready and only then will it be done.

Thanks for the education and the detailed update Seraphim! It always makes sense when I read your approach to things..

I do however ooooogle over these beauties daily. The therapeutic effects of just being in the presence of such magnificent beauty is, I think, quite under-rated. It is so incredibly relaxing to just sit and stare at these buds in silence and become mesmerized by their lazy sway back and forth from the breeze coming from the fan.

But how rude of me.. here are some pictures.. lets oooogle at them together :)

IMG_266010.JPG

This photo of that plant REALLY is inspiring. In a grow kind of way, and in an artistic kind of way too :Namaste:

Whoever said you needed expensive LEDs to get these.. was mistaken. These buds were grown with a MARS-II 400Watt LED from TopLED (Cost under $200) These are by no means the biggest buds on the planet, but when you take into consideration the cost of the lamp TopLED is a darn good deal! And even though I have not harvested this plant yet, I can already tell the single MARS-II 400 LED which grew this plant definitely paid for itself several times over in just one grow.

Thanks Seraphim! This is good to hear. It's nice when we can see the results of an actual product. Right now, towards the end, how far away is your Mars-II ?

Thank you kindly sir Catman! Yours will be no doubt inspiring as well.

:hookah:... Right now, towards the end, how far away is your Mars-II ?

The Mars-II 400W LED has been between 15 and 18 inches in the latter half of flowering.

The Mars-II 400W LED has been between 15 and 18 inches in the latter half of flowering.

I maintained ~18-20" distance throughout flowering with my Mars II. I might have been able to put it lower, but I needed the coverage too.

Understandable. I have such a small footprint for flowering that coverage is not really an issue.

I, too, am ooooogle-ing your plants :thumb:

Its so much fun!

The smoke report for Ms Devil can be found HERE

On other news, I think today's trichome check on Blue Widow was the one. I saw ambers in numbers every where I looked. The 10% is there. I think the time has arrived for my lovely lady Blue Widow. Before lights out tonight, cutting tools were placed at the foot of her planter for easy access in the dark. More on that in a bit...

Bubba-Cheese is being a b$(%*!! She's completely cloudy. Not a single clear to be found it's so overwhelmingly cloudy but ambers are far a few between. She can't have much more to go. So she stays in high alert trichome watch.

So, back to Blue Widow. Tonight, i left cutting tools in the tent. I'm going to tell you about how I harvest which may not be the only way but it is the way I do it and it works well for me. As I think most of us on here do, I harvest at the end of a long dark period. Tonight is the start of a 36 hour night in the blooming tent. Since THC is build up at night, the long night allows an extended opportunity for the buds to put on an extra thick coat of frosty trichomes.

Sometime near the end of that 36 hour dark period (like 2 hours before the end of the dark period) I go to the tent in the dark and just crack open the bottom of the tent trying to keep things as dark as possible. I put my hands in from the outside and with the pliers I chew on the base of the stem damaging it pretty good but not cutting it all the way and also dig into the ground around her and disrupt the crap out of the roots. This puts the plant under major stress right before actual harvest. The idea is that the plant thinks it is under attack from an animal and fires off all of her defenses, THC teaming on the buds at maximum being one of those defensive reactions the plant has.

Now, I don't know if this is true or not but when I read it years ago in another forum it seemed to make sense so I stuck with it and so far so good.

Sunday night lights went out at 5PM and the tent will not see light again until Tuesday morning at 5AM.

The other two plants in there will not be harmed by the long dark period, instead it will accelerate their flowering as well.

Blue Widow was harvested this morning.

She has had her first wave of grooming and has been placed in the drying box. Throughout the day I will be going back and picking individual branches out of the box and giving them a good tight trim, then back into the box. This is how I do drying post harvest and before the mason jars. See below.

IMG_27208.JPG

I just use the bamboo sticks to run across the top of a large enough box and let them hang loose in there. Then I put the box in a closet or a room that doesn’t get traffic. The first day or two, with no cover, later on I use a newspaper to lightly cover the top. The drying box is in my 2nd bathroom which I will not use for the next week or so. I do not use a fan in there because I want them to dry as slow as possible and the average ambient humidity here in Colorado is very low. So I am not too worried about mold. I do however turn on the bathroom exhaust the first day or two because the buds are fresh cut and so full of moisture.

I have to admit, I am legitimately surprised at the amount of dense nug she has produced. As I cut down this plant and removed the fan leaves from the branches, I had to remind myself that she was grown with a single 400W Mars-II LED which cost under $200. This plant’s output is way beyond what I’d expected from this modest setup. Take a look...

IMG_270611.JPG

IMG_270711.JPG

IMG_270910.JPG

IMG_271212.JPG

IMG_271310.JPG

IMG_27159.JPG

IMG_271611.JPG

IMG_271911.JPG

No idea what the dry weight will be on this but just from looking at this one can tell it will not disappoint. 3.5Gal Coco-Hempy + 400Watt Mars-II is a home run both in yield and from the cost perspective. Keep in mind this is my first attempt at hempy, my first successful non-soil grow, and I did overfeed her about week 6 or so which subtracted from the final yield. Speaking of final yield, I will post Blue Widow’s final dry weight here once the buds are ready for the mason jars. The link to the smoke report will also be posted here once a couple of weeks cure has passed and they show their true colors/flavor/aroma/buzz.

Bubba-Cheese, the other half of this journal, lives on.
She and Tangilope now share the tent which is much roomier now without Blue Widow in there taking up over half the tent.

Thank you for stopping by!
:Namaste:
:420:

:bravo::goodjob::cheer::thumb:

What would be your best guess of the humidity and temperature of the bathroom?

Thank you Colesdad.

We will find out together on the temp/humidity in the bathroom. I just put the thermometer/hygrometer there. I will check it in a while and update here.

TEMP: 72*
RH: 49%

Nice pull. Congrats. She looks like a nice chubby plant and plenty frosty. Hempy buckets are just so easy and convenient, it's certainly a method I would recommend to ANY new grower wanting to crack some bagseed and watch something grow. That's what I'm doing with a couple friends that wanted to learn a few things and try their hand. Spend $20 and get enough stuff to make a couple buckets (less if you can repurpose a non-contaminated bucket already in your arsenal). Stick with an easy 2-part nute and a good light/timer. The rest is up to their own stealth needs/wants. I tell them up front, this isn't the best weed, but it's easy and it's fast and with some minor tweaking can produce some good high-grade bud. They're blasters anyway so they're less concerned with bag appeal.

About the time they're patting themselves on the back, I'll bring over some high brix weed for them to try. :cool:

haha that was great gchz..

Good in, Good out ;)

I&i

Well, after the Blue Widow harvest Bubba-Cheese has suddenly catapulted to the top of the "most photogenic plant I have" list!

She's stubborn, showing single ambers here and there, you have to hunt them down. So, she stays in the LED tanning bed.

Her frame is no where nearly as sturdy as necessary to hold up those buds. This is the main cola.

IMG_27419.JPG

IMG_27356.JPG

Its fine if she takes her time now, blue widow will keep me busy for a while and Ms Devil is still around in the jars. I haven't even gotten through half of that.

:grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom