Seraphim's Tangilope - Coco Smart-Hempy - LED Grow 2014

Seraphim

Hello Everyone and welcome to my new grow journal!

What strain is it? DNA Genetics TANGILOPE
Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? 90% Sativa / 10% Indica. (Tangie X Chocolope)
Veg or Flower stage? Veg
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Passive Hydro / SMART-Hempy
What is in your mix? 85% Perlite + 15% Canna Coco
What size pot? 3Gal
Size of light? Mars-II 400W LEDs(1xVeg & 2xBloom)
Is it air cooled? Yes. Unit comes with internal fans
Size of room/cab Veg - 22" X 36" X 65" Bloom 2'X4' tent
Temp of Room/cab? 75F
RH of Room/cab? 30% to 40%
PH of media or res? 6.01
Any Pests? None
Watering Schedule? As necessary

Tangilope is currently 5 weeks and 5 days old from seed and she has had her first 12 hour night last night after she was moved away from the veg tent and into the bloom tent with the still flowering Bubba-Cheese and BlueWidow. She was topped and trained to remain low but she also has super tight nodes which I think may be due to the abundance of veg spectrum LED light available to her.

I decided to start this journal from the start of flowering instead of from seedling so we could all get to the good part right away.

IMG_140518.JPG

IMG_174718.JPG

IMG_208917.JPG

IMG_236811.JPG

The container — SMART Hempy

Both the hempy bucket and the smart-pot have been proven on their own to be good platforms for above average results beyond what one could expect from simple planters. I'd like to see if there is a benefit in combining them into a single container.

A SMART-Hempy is something that combines the Smart-pot with the concept of a Hempy bucket. It uses a plastic run-off dish inside the smart-pot on the bottom facing up. The dish is the same size as the bottom and acts as the hempy reservoir holding rocks/perlite while the rest of the container holds the main media which is composed of 85% perlite and 15% coco. I made the top 1.5 inch layer with 100% coco and that is where the seed was planted and allowed to germinate and grow naturally. The top coco layer is optional, I just liked the idea of germinating in plain coco and it seems to have worked pretty well.

The smart-pot will provide a better environment for the roots while the hempy will provide its simple and proven effective passive hydro capability for rapid, healthy growth. My hypothesis is that these two combined will help the plant grow larger, faster than each one would on its own. (I hope!) I have never tried this concept before but I believe it should work and together we will find out.

Thanks for stopping by!

Re: Seraphim's TANGILOPE / Coco Smart-Hempy / LED grow 2014

Great to have you along Catman! And yes I do have some more data points on her. Here is the marketing description used by the breeder on the seed catalogs:

"Tangilope - DNA Genetics Seeds

Tangie and Chocolope have to be our best two Sativas! Chocolope X Tangie results in Award winning Chocolaty Citrus buds!! Tangielope will demand the highest price for a sativa as the exotic smell matched with frosty nugs make not only the taste but the bag appeal a instant favourite with one being fruity citrus and the other chocolate cream! Expect to see fast growing plants in vegetive and mostly sativa buds with a very intense Terpene profile! Tangilope will finish in 9 weeks bringing above average yields and a very easy plant to grow! Expert growers can challenge the Tangilope and push her nutrient levels for maximum production, as well as beginner growers or first timers can also have great results as Tangilope is very easy to grow and forgiving of basic mistakes.. Either way beginner grower or seasoned veteran the Tangilope is your Sativa!

Tangie X Chocolope
80% Sativa
20% indica
Flowering – 9weeks
Yield – 450-550
"

And here is the entry on the strain database:

DNA Genetics Seeds - Tangilope
Tangie and Chocolope have to be our best two Sativas! Chocolope X Tangie results in Award winning Chocolaty Citrus buds!! Tangielope will demand the highest price for a sativa as the exotic smell matched with frosty nugs make not only the taste but the bag appeal a instant favourite with one being fruity citrus and the other chocolate cream! Expect to see Fast growing plants in vegetive and mostly sativa buds with a very intense Terpene profile!

Tangielope will finish in 9 weeks bringing above average yields and a very easy plant to grow! Expert growers can challenge the Tangilope and push her nutrient levels for maximum production, as well as beginner growers or first timers can also have great results as Tangilope is very easy to grow and forgiving of basic mistakes.. Either way beginner grower or seasoned veteran the Tangilope is your Sativa!

Tangie x Chocolope
Flower time: 9 weeks
Yield: 450-500 m2
90% sativa / 10% indica

I tried tangie here in Colorado when it came out some time ago and its the kind of bud that you smoke last if you have other options. The reason for that is because if you smoke it first, the taste is so intense that it will make everything else taste like dirt.

I do have tangie saved for a later grow. For now, lets see how this tangie/chocolope mix turns out.

...DrOoL...

Wow that is really something different. I like to bookmark different strains I come across and this is definitely going in there - and thanks for that link. Looks like a really good reference. Can't wait to see how this turns out - will need to see the smoke report :cheesygrinsmiley:

My friend, I am sooooo looking forward to providing you with this smoke report its not even funny. However, there will be several other smoke reports before this one. (not a bad thing at all!)

THIS is the thread I meant to post in:laugh:

The smart method with the bowl.... Bowl inside is resv? So, there are holes on the bottom of the pot for drainage? Just trying to wrap my head around this, trying to picture it.

What are the advantages of this as opposed to the hempy grow you just did?

ah! Now it makes more sense.

OK.. so its a smart-pot on the outside so it does not need any drainage holes. Whenever the water over flows from the bowl inside it will just drain from there out the side/bottom of the smart pot which is made of fabric like material. The whole thing is sitting on a larger tray on the outside to catch that true runoff.

My idea for an advantage was the combination of both the smart pot and the hempy system. The benefits of the smart pot in my opinion is that since it is made of a cloth like material, it allows the roots to air prune and also allows more air through its wall which helps dry out the media faster and maintain slightly better airflow down there than with the plastic walled bucket. The benefit of the hempy is that reservoir creating that passive hydro system which allows longer access to water that would normally drain. In my mind, the smart hempy is almost like a primitive DWC where the water and nutes are at the bottom and the roots along the way get access to air/oxygen as well causing faster growth.

As noted, I have never actually tried this before. This grow is my first time trying it. It works great in my mind, lets see if reality follows suit.

basically, there should be a bigger, better root ball in the smart hempy than in the traditional one.

Bigger/better root ball = bigger/better buds

Bigger better buds = :cheesygrinsmiley: :winkyface: :smokin:

Bigger better buds = :cheesygrinsmiley: :winkyface: :smokin:

Yes yes!

I think I'm picturing it correctly. Got any pics?

This hybrid growing style sounds great. I like the idea of fast drying medium, and the air flow idea. Seems like perlite is perfect for air flow! May have missed i, but did you drop seed, or did you let it germinate outside and then place in the coco?

The seed was germinated right in the container where it will live its life. I think it is better for them this way.

I have some pictures of this concept in my other journal here

Of course you know, just as this journal popped up at flowering time after being started and brought along in the background, something else may be brewing in the back that we don't know of.. but it smells like real SOIL is cooking somewhere.... :winkyface:

Re: Seraphim’s Tangilope - Coco Smart-Hempy - LED Grow 2014

Maybe so sir Catman. Maybe so....

We will have to wait and see. :winkyface:

Tangilope hangs out in the bloom tent with the big girls. She was topped once and trained twice and has developed a nice, fairly even canopy with at least 8 main heads and multiple secondary shoots. This topping and training will pay dividends later when she develops turning out many bud heads in the ideal canopy range while staying relatively short in stature.

IMG_242216.JPG

IMG_242314.JPG

IMG_243110.JPG

IMG_243213.JPG

Thanks Xbones! Me too!

Looking great! Def can't wait for the finish!

Tangilope hangs out in the bloom tent with the big girls. She was topped once and trained twice and has developed a nice, fairly even canopy with at least 8 main heads and multiple secondary shoots. This topping and training will pay dividends later when she develops turning out many bud heads in the ideal canopy range while staying relatively short in stature.

:bravo:

Nothing like witnessing a well executed plan!

:peace:

Thank you Catman!

Aside from my own harvest, your harvest, cure and consumption reports are the ones I am most looking forward to reading.

Back
Top Bottom