Serenity's First Grow

Serenity420

Hi everyone! Im new to the forums and new to growing in genereal. But ive been reading on here for awhile and Ive done my research. Im growing 1x White Widow Auto and 1x AK-49 Auto both from vision seeds. Using soil and CFLs for my first attempt until I get some experience. 92w actual over each plant.

The WW is 8 days old already and seems to be quite healthy(To me at least lol). The AK was started a few days later and it hasn't broke through the soil yet. I planted the seed with taproot exposed about 4 days ago. Should I be worried it hasn't sprouted yet?

I appreciate any input and advice that you all may give me. Im excited for this project and Im happy to join such a friendly and helpful community!

Here are some pics of the WW at 8 days old. How do yall think she looks?
IMG_20160225_102252058_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160225_102235748_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160225_102242459.jpg

IMG_20160225_102502171.jpg

IMG_20160225_102534734_HDR.jpg

Hi Serenity420,

Welcome to 420 Magazine and community of folks that gathers here!

Your first lady looks lovely and I congratulate you on taking the plunge to get her going. Don't think I'd be too worried about your AK as yet, but would probably be getting pretty darn curious. I might be inclined to very carefully rake back a little of the soil above the seed to peak at what, if anything, is going on.

Also would like to congratulate you on spending a little time reading, learning and researching prior to beginning. If we do it right, it's a never ending journey to learn about, and improve on our abilities to grow this plant to it's best potential.

Be well and happy growing!

Be very careful digging dirt out from around your seed, especially for a beginner.

My AK was actually the late bloomer in my grow as well, and she's definitely shot off.

Tell me a little about your setup, if you don't mind?
I'd like to know your soil, nutes(if any), as well as your grow area and any ventilation you may have!

Cheers!

Wow, looks really good for 8 days old!

That's what I'm saying. Especially under CFL... looks better than the seedlings brought up by my HPS... Might need to look into using CFL's for germing...

:goodjob:

Glad to hear the first girl is off to a good start! The weeks of research are paying off already lol.

I'm using 2x 6500k and 2x 2700k standard CFL bulbs over each bucket. Nothing too special but I did wanna make sure I got enough light over each plant. And my previous research told me to keep the bulbs close.
My soil is just some organic stuff I bought at Walmart to be honest. I couldn't find any Fox Farms or anything usually recommended but I did avoid MG!! Lol
I also bought some Alaska Fish Fertilizer that is 5 : 1 : 1. Probably gonna lightly introduce that this weekend for the first time. Do you think that's too early for a light dose of nutes? She already has leaves with 5 fingers so I feel like she could handle a tiny dose

Anyways, other than that, no ventilation in the setup. I need to buy a fan in the next few days to get some airflow. It's just a small closet grow to pop my cherry lol.
Sorry if I've left out any other pertinent details, I'm definitely still new and at this point I'm just excited to have a plant growing!

Serinity420,

I would recommend against introducing fertilizer this early in the plants life. Probably will not need anything until after 3 or 4 weeks (4 sets of true leaves at least).

Agreed^

Avoid nutes until you have preflowers(If it's an auto, generally 3 weeks or so.) Then start off at a very light dose(1/4 reccomended) of your base nutes.

Nitrogen is generally the first nutrient that most people experience getting burned by.

Remember, when a plant gets burned, it's letting you know it's absorbed all of the nutes it can. Some plants experience burning due to their soil alone, which is why I go with a light mix, personally.

So I just gently raked away the soil over the AK seed. The seed hasn't grown at all. The taproot is maybe 2cm long.

I'm gonna start germing my 2nd WW seed bc I have a bad feeling I'm not gonna want to wait for this thing to sprout. This is actually the 2nd seed that's done the exact same thing. Which is why it's behind the WW anyway.

So I just gently raked away the soil over the AK seed. The seed hasn't grown at all. The taproot is maybe 2cm long.

I'm gonna start germing my 2nd WW seed bc I have a bad feeling I'm not gonna want to wait for this thing to sprout. This is actually the 2nd seed that's done the exact same thing. Which is why it's behind the WW anyway.

Make sure your soil is staying plenty warm enough for this. It doesn't need light, it needs warmth right now.
Feel the side of your container-it should be SLIGHTLY warm, in comparison.
Cut the top off of a liter bottle, unscrew the cap, and use it as a mini humidome. Mist the inside of the liter top with water to spike humidity levels.
:Namaste:

Make sure your soil is staying plenty warm enough for this. It doesn't need light, it needs warmth right now.
Feel the side of your container-it should be SLIGHTLY warm, in comparison.
Cut the top off of a liter bottle, unscrew the cap, and use it as a mini humidome. Mist the inside of the liter top with water to spike humidity levels.

Great advice Xenonrae. Fluctuating temps killed off several of my germinating seeds this grow. Completely my fault.

Keep 'er dark with steady warm and moist 'till she breaks ground.

/Obi

Hi Serenity! Write this down somewhere:

<=>

Less is more.

Try top avoid playing and fiddling with your grow. Just let 'em do their thing!

Best of luck!

Very good information. Try to go a full day or so without checking them.

The growth explodes!

I usually check when I wake up and again when I get home. Not really to constantly monitor growth, more to check temps and make sure the plant isn't growing into the lights. But you're right. Maybe if I don't check until Sunday after work there might be a plant in the 2nd bucket!

I switched out the AK seed with my backup WW seed. The new seed is much larger and seems healthier. I germinated it for 36 hours in a paper towel and it already had a longer taproot than the AK. It's unfortunate but maybe my AK seeds were a bad batch.

So now I have a dome setup over the new seed to keep moisture and humidity in. I also setup a fan so the whole closet gets a nice moving airflow.

I also have some pictures of the first plant at 10 days. I'm almost wondering if it's too low to the ground? The tips of the bottom leaves are either touching or almost touching the soil.
IMG_20160227_143315366.jpg

IMG_20160227_143330133_HDR.jpg

I switched out the AK seed with my backup WW seed. The new seed is much larger and seems healthier. I germinated it for 36 hours in a paper towel and it already had a longer taproot than the AK. It's unfortunate but maybe my AK seeds were a bad batch.

So now I have a dome setup over the new seed to keep moisture and humidity in. I also setup a fan so the whole closet gets a nice moving airflow.

I also have some pictures of the first plant at 10 days. I'm almost wondering if it's too low to the ground? The tips of the bottom leaves are either touching or almost touching the soil.
IMG_20160227_143315366.jpg

IMG_20160227_143330133_HDR.jpg

She looks nice and healthy!

Looks just like my lucy did, and now she's the biggest plant I have..(still low though, just wait a few more weeks and you'll be wishing she was still that low)
Most people try their best to prevent stretching, it appears you don't have to worry about it!
If you do want her to grow taller, though, just raise your light up substantially and she'll start shooting for the sky--but you'll see plenty of that happening in weeks 4-7, lol.

Nothing to worry about. Keep the soil warm for your lovely ww, keep the inside of the dome sprayed with water; but don't spray water directly on the soil too often-she shouldn't need it. But don't let it get bone dry, either. Remember, her roots are situated up near the top still, so if the top is dried out, she'll start starving. Just be really cautious - overwatering at this stage is really easy, and can stunt them for too long.

Cheers!
You're off to a great start homie, I can't wait to see them explode!
:popcorn:

Yea man I'm very excited about it. Your plants look quite healthy too! I was curious about trying LED but decided against it for now just to keep prices down for my first attempt.

I'm honestly a bit surprised at how well the CFLs are working so far haha. Just a little bit of nurture and it really does grow like a weed lol.

Back
Top Bottom