Serious dilema with 650 watt HPS lamp

entergrow

my plants are set up for veg right now...7 in all together. there good to go for at least another 3 weeks before i have to flower. i have a 650 watt HPS lamp with a non cooled hood. ive never used a light like this. i have the ballast and have tested the system and all is in working order. my questions are as follows: is this enough light for 7 plants maybe more? if the room is vented properly and i have reflective walls (mylar etc...) is this a sufficient light source or should i downsize or maybe upsize my plants number? how much space are we talking here when i do consruct a bigger grow box for flowering? any advice would be great....

Re: ??serious dilema with 650 watt HPS lamp??

my advice to any new grower is to grow one or two plants. If you grow a bad ass plant your first try than you can grow two bad ass plants the second time if you fuck up you fuck up one plant. I you fuck up 7 plants than your gonna fuck up 7 plants again. every strain is different and need to treated as such (size and growth rates differ dramatically,some plants grow so fast you flip out and than others grow so slow they make you want to give up and pull them early which is a sin). Start in soil to hydro's a mother load of work. with a 650w two bad girls full of buds would satisfy anybody.

Re: ??serious dilema with 650 watt HPS lamp??

Size your lighting for the size of the grow room, not the number of plants. A 600-watt HPS that is in a decent reflector should produce 88,000-95000 or so lumen. You want a minimum of 5000 lumen per square foot when flowering (more, if possible). Lumen is not the best measurement of a light that is used for growing, but it'll (generally) get you in the ballpark when figuring things.

As far as the question you asked goes... I have seen gardens where one plant took up eight or more square feet. I have also seen SoG gardens where there were nine plants per square foot. It's up to the grower (with the strain/phenotype having its say, lol).

Back
Top Bottom