Seriously - What's the best LED setup?

loudnoise

This is so mind boggling to me. My commercial grower friend insists that LED is not worth it, and that an 1000w de HPS is the gold standard.

He recently did a grow using the heliospectras, and reported that the quality and quantity suffered greatly.

I told him COB, and samsung strips are the new wave, and said to be better.

Im trying to decide how to light my 10x10 room most effectively, and efficiently. Lets debate! I am an experienced electrician, and i could build the setup no problem. I just cant figure out how to invest my money!!

I was thinking cxb3590's. How many of those would i need to buy to achieve equivilent results for a single 1000W DE HPS? What is the current most people run them?

Would the QB's be better? At this point im thinking i might be better to just run 4 vented 1000w lights. Please change my mind!!!!

We're using 5 12 watt LED grow lights we got from Aerogarden. I don't know about any other brands...but these are blubs with red, white and blue lights in them. Super bright and they are doing great. Personally, love the LED's because they don't jerk the juice and run the electricity bill up super high. Not a lot of heat. All great if you're trying to keep shit under wraps. Seems to me the more light the merrier. Mine seem to love that blend of red, white and blue lighting.

But, I'm a noob. So I'm sure someone else around here can tell you better than me. :thumb:

You don't have to do it all in one go, once you've got your A/C unit run the 2 1000w's you have and maybe build LED for the remaining unlit space :)

He recently did a grow using the heliospectras, and reported that the quality and quantity suffered greatly.

Looks like expensive blurples, no prices or specifications on what parts are used, smells kinda like scam...

m trying to decide how to light my 10x10 room most effectively, and efficiently. Lets debate! I am an experienced electrician, and i could build the setup no problem. I just cant figure out how to invest my money!!

Scroll down and expand the 5x5 build option DIY LED Strip Build Designs for Samsung H-Series, F-Series, Q-Series, and Bridgelux EB Gen.2 - LED Gardener

I was thinking cxb3590's. How many of those would i need to buy to achieve equivilent results for a single 1000W DE HPS? What is the current most people run them?

~16 COBs (latest gen Cree, Vero, Citizen, Luminus) @ 50w each

It's not possible to do a 1:1 comparison between HID and LED, but I'll try to point out some of the major differences:

1000w HPS vs DIY LED

One point of light vs many points of light

omnidirectional vs focused

35/65 light to heat ratio vs up to 65/35 light to heat ratio

Low upfront cost vs (relatively)high upfront cost

QB's use the same diode (Samsung LM561C S6 bin) as the Samsung strips, except for the Q-series which use the more efficient Samsung LM301B diode.

:passitleft:

I ges this got to do with a lot of factors besides the lighting.

The ones i have seen they are even heavier than hps grows.

Digg around in the journals section about them and compare results, i ges this is the best way to get your own opinion about it. There is a lot of knowledge there to be found.

I really want to try the cobs or QB's

I guess i really have 2 real questions:

1. Which is better?

2. Can i get those FAT dense buds that i get off of an HPS?

Same here. I have a couple of guys who swear LED's will not produce fat dense buds. One went to HPS they other went to grow outdoors. I just don't believe LED's are no good! I am convinced LED's are way better grow lights. But one has to change the way they grow. I'm a beginner grower myself. I use very efficient very low powered NOT Burple LED Lights, broad spectrum including white/green/red and blue. I am planning/hoping to prove them wrong with my next grow with which I'm planning on growing larger plants compared to my previous microgrows.

TTKlaus

at the end of the day, it really boils down to environment, spectrum, intensity, and nutes.

get your par to 700, or lux to 50,000, and your golden. Mars do good, but you need to get it close to get that 700 par intensity for nice fruit.

Every strain is different also, so master one,lol..

get your grow room to 84f, keep roots above 70, night temps 70-75F

I love my cob rig, its rockin.

I really want to try the cobs or QB's

I guess i really have 2 real questions:

1. Which is better?

2. Can i get those FAT dense buds that i get off of an HPS?

I've grown with both a 315 LEC and now I'm using a COB sytem that uses 100 watt COBS. You don't have the heat problems. You can turn them down to half in veg and save electricity. COBS are great for corners of tents. It seems like the quality of the Buds are at least as good. Every time I grow though, I keep changing strains so it's hard to compare. The light quality seem comparable to an LEC 315 without the infared.

my cobs are kickin ass,

4-luminus cxm 22' run at 330 watts total. using heatsink with fans, they stay sooooo cool,

get your par to 700, or lux to 50,000, and your golden. .
100% agreed.
Higher PARs = higher yields

Get a good full spectrum PAR meter. I’ve returned a TON of LED lights. Right out of the box, my first test is a wattage test, then a par test. I compare to the manufacturers specs. Many if not most of them are misrepresenting their numbers as well as their footprints. I have found a couple that were spot on, and the ones that were accurate were not cheap.

why not just do the research first?
then you only buy once
also keep in mind a good full spectrum PAR meter is 500 bucks or more
plus, if you stick to QB boards, strips and COBS like Cree, Bridgelux, Citizen ect
there is no dispute what their values such as wattage draw, PPFD ect are
Cheap is a relative term

100% agreed.
Higher PARs = higher yields

Get a good full spectrum PAR meter. I’ve returned a TON of LED lights. Right out of the box, my first test is a wattage test, then a par test. I compare to the manufacturers specs. Many if not most of them are misrepresenting their numbers as well as their footprints. I have found a couple that were spot on, and the ones that were accurate were not cheap.

The misrepresentation of specs is a huge problem. The honest companies have a hard time competing in the market because their lights seem to underperform on paper in comparison.

Man you are not kidding there my friend.
Each light I purchased was researched far and wide, read reviews, studied their charts and footprints, researched the companies, looked at grows of particular lights on you tube, exc.... I have a folder stacked full of tests I’ve done and lights I’ve returned, it’s pretty sad. Not saying some of the products couldn’t get the job done, but when they lie and misrepresent what you believe you are paying for, that’s enough for me to return it, and call them the fuck out.
The misrepresentation is horrible in this market.
I’m just glad I finally found a really good product with accurate readings. I got what I actually paid for for. It took a while tho, and a lot of headaches buying and returning products.

Back
Top Bottom