Server Upgrades - Website Performance

Founder
We would like to apologize to those of you who came to the site while it was down last night. Our growth has been so rapid, we've had to upgrade our servers twice in the last year. Last night at around 10pm, our servers crashed and we have been working on them ever since. We are currently in the process of upgrading the hardware and will begin configuring the software throughout the night and into tomorrow. This may take a day or more until we are complete, but rest assured we won't stop until we are back in action with a 420% performance increase!

Some of you think we are loaded and have a hundred programmers working for free, but the reality is we are barely staying afloat and pay top dollar for the best programmers in the industry, therefore we truly need your help. Times like these are when we need your support the most, so please consider giving back to help us pay for all of this hardware, software and custom programming.
Please Help Support 420 Magazine

We thank you for your continued support of 420 Magazine and our mission to create Cannabis awareness to the world.

We are taking the Database Server offline tonight at midnight California time to perform the upgrade. The website should be down for about 20 minutes maximum. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your continued support!

Morning 420!

Thanks for a fantastic site.

May I suggest in the future you guys put up a maintenance page during updates and outages? Perhaps even a "special" news flash box on the home page when performance degradation is noticed during the day, like this afternoon.

As you pointed out lack of site accessibility is a quite vexing to most users.

Respectfully,
SF

As a member of the baby boomer generation it always amazes me how upset people get when something goes down for a few hours.I watch in fascination all the people that never let go of their pda or cell phone for even a second.Calling home to say they're on the bus and will be there in 5 mins.Playing one game or another.I feel like I have been left on the platform,waiting for the train.You guys do a great job and are probably seldom thanked for it.Thanks.:goodjob::peace::peace::peace:

What happened this afternoon? What time? What time zone?
We did not do any server upgrades during the day, only in the middle of the night last night, to spare the bulk of you the loss..
Perhaps even a "special" news flash box on the home page when performance degradation is noticed during the day, like this afternoon.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:
You guys do a great job and are probably seldom thanked for it.Thanks.

Our database server has issues with some of the new hardware, so we have to go back to the drawing board on how to proceed... at least we were able to upgrade the web server last night successfully, so we are halfway there... we will update you when we are ready to perform the upgrade again, hopefully tomorrow night... looks like we are being forced to increase the database server speed from double, to quadruple... looking forward to seeing it in action... sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding and continued support...;)

What happened this afternoon? What time? What time zone?
We did not do any server upgrades during the day, only in the middle of the night last night, to spare the bulk of you the loss..

Yesterday (3/2/2010)

It might have been your network provider also. There was a large block of time, perhaps close to two hours, maybe 2pm-4pm(ish) where the Traceroutes were very high (at the end of the path hitting your data center in Canada). Central Standard Time. I'm on a T3 line and did other traceroutes, so I know it wasn't a "network issue". Next time if I happen to notice, I'll send you some more info.

Thanks again for the info on what's coming.

SF

Okay guys, we're all upgraded and ready to rock!

Both servers have been updated and can handle our load, please give me your feedback on how much faster everything works for you.

Next on the list, website re-design...;)

Thank you for an awsome site! Just curious, but will there be a Grow Report type section for Growers to Track specific strains in the website re-design? No Big deal I was just curious. Thanks again for all youve done & will continue to do.:peacetwo::goodjob::welldone::thumb:

Hey Nirvana.

There's a thread going right now for features and suggestions, you should probably get your post up there for the right parties to see.

New Website Features & Content

Rock On!
SF

I've noticed everything being FASTER today. This has always been a faster smoother running forum than any others I have ever been on. And I've never seen this site DOWN. Other sites have their good times and bad times and are DOWN at elast once a week for a while, but this one just flows and flows like a river.

Back
Top Bottom