Set The Record Straight-Lumatek w/Eye Hortilux combos?

After reading a few comments on various threads I have seen "some" people say that Eye Hortilux and other high end bulbs are not compatible with the Lumatek 600 watt ballasts? Anyone have a straight answer? What is the ideal HPS bulb to run with a Lumatek ballast for flowering?:peace::thanks:

Its really isnt a straight answer on this. Stewbacca6 commented that the combo worked fine for him. I myself have been doing a great deal of research on digital ballasts, and of lumatek and quantam in particular.

And this is what I've found out. Digital ballasts do infact save electricity, and elongate bulb life, however they have a high failure rate compared to magnetic ballasts. When making your choice for you ballast, if you have a bulb in mind its important to check the compatibility of the bulb with your ballast. If you were to contact EYE they would tell you that they have gotten a lot of reports of bulb failures in Lumatek ballasts. Does this mean your bulb or ballast will fail? Nah, but you may have a higher chance of seeing a failure versus someone who has a Quantam or NextGen.

I've got buds who've grown successfully with Lumatek & Eye combo(a few members here aswell such as McBudz & BeIrie), but i also have a buncha forum pals who have had bulb &/or ballast failures in mid grow. Understand tho, that with digital ballasts this is always a risk as they computer components(microprocessors) that during high temperature operation have the tendency to fail. Some bulb/ballast combinations increase that chance for some reason. Lumatek/Eye is one of those. The problem with the Hortilux failures according to Lumatek is the 600w's 4k ignition pulse(incase you wanted to dabble deeper into the cause of the failures)

If you're going with Lumatek and apprehensive about a bulb failure, your best bet would be to go with Ushio. They go together like Bush & inflation.

good luck with your grow :surf:

i got my 400w lumatek burning my 400w eye super HPS. It has been running for 5 days now without a problem. We'll see if mine is one of the better ballasts that dont fail. Often times I turn on the extra lumens as well and I also dim it to 250w towards the end of the day. What i dont understand is the ballast has a control knob which allows u to choose different wattages, weird numbers like 275w! It goes 250,275,400w, then super lumens. Why does it go from 250 to 275? up 25watts? are u kidding me? it would make more sense if it was like 250,325,400, then lol 420 hahah

i got my 400w lumatek burning my 400w eye super HPS. It has been running for 5 days now without a problem. We'll see if mine is one of the better ballasts that dont fail. Often times I turn on the extra lumens as well and I also dim it to 250w towards the end of the day. What i dont understand is the ballast has a control knob which allows u to choose different wattages, weird numbers like 275w! It goes 250,275,400w, then super lumens. Why does it go from 250 to 275? up 25watts? are u kidding me? it would make more sense if it was like 250,325,400, then lol 420 hahah

I'm still using my old magnetic ballasts so I don't know s*** about digital ballasts but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to set that switch to the same wattage as your bulb an leave it there. About the super lumens I have no idea.

Anybody know for sure? I sure don't.

:peace:

Re: Set The Record Straight--Lumatek w/Eye Hortilux combos?

Hear and Read the same. How about contacting the Lumatek, Phone number here Lumatek Ballast Get it straight for us all.

I guess we gotta phone them. Their web site ain't worth s***! I can't believe the cheap buggers won't build a decent site. I was hoping for retailer lists, bulb compatibility charts, performance data etc.

I was wondering if they were compatible with ceramic MH bulbs. That's what I want for my next bulb and they're made for my old magnetic HPS ballasts.

Can yous help me out im a first time grower

Check out the forums in The Grow Room and all your questions will be answered. Well maybe not all but a lot of them will.

Once you've read so much that your head explodes you'll have more specific questions that myself and lots of great folks will help you with.

Maybe get a little hand sanitizer to help with that jermy problem eh. ;0)

Well I've been running the 600 watt Lumatek (New Generation) at super Lumens for about 4 months now. No issues. I've "read" that "some" (few that I found) had issues with some older versions of Lumatek Ballasts and Hortilux bulbs. But like I said no issues here, and plenty of other people seem to be more than happy with the Purple Monsters.

Are there any issues with High Tech Garden Supply Its a 400W LumateK digital ballast. Planned on getting this with the cool tube 6 reflector and the agro 400w HPS bulb and dual outlet mech timer. Just figured I would ask since it is the same brand even though the watts are different as reported.

Dro...:goodjob: LOL

I am planning on adding a 1000 to the mix here soon.. It will most likely be another lumatek/eye combo...... :ganjamon:

The Artemis LU1000w/P hps is actually an almost identical bulb to the eye hortilux the box gives its specs as.

Produces 17% more light over other bulbs of equal wattage
produces 28% more Blue ,violet,orange,and white spectrum
Total lumens 145,000
I personally use a 1000w switchable magnetic ballast
And on the box for the bulb it says it requires a ballast with ansi code of S52
It does come in a 600w range code is LU600w/p but I havent been able to determine if it has the same features of increased blue,white violet and orange spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom