Setting up a closet to hold a Bloombox

Doc Canna

I have a 5'x5'x8' closet that I have available to house a Bloombox. I will not go into all reasons why I have rejected a total DIY closet but poor health concerns is just one of them. This closet room is in a totally finished basement with drywall ceiling and walls. Double stealth noise and odor control is a must.

Something tells me the box itself will need a source of fresh clean air to pull in as needed. I don't anticipate an excessive heat issue with the Bloombox as it has cooled lighting but with exchanging the air in the closet I can further control the temps outside the box. The walls of the closet do not lend itself well to what I am trying to accomplish. I do not want to draw air or vent air/odor to the adjoining furnace room. It looks like I am reduced to placing a vent in the ceiling and venting to the space between the floor joist, drawing fresh air from a passive vent near the floor with what will look like a furnace cold air return grill.

My question is will I need a carbon scrubber vent system if venting to the area between the floor joist? Most of the odor is handled by the cabinet. I have about 20 running feet of space between two floor/ceiling joist and without a carbon scrubbing filter hopefully the minimal odor will disperse on its own without leaking out to other parts of the home. Also how do I keep traces of odor and noise from escaping out the passive vent when the ceiling vent is off between cycles? Lastly, how often should I exchange the air in the closet that houses the Bloombox? Any input appreciated.

Ok so I think I have found the solution to one of my questions. That is the question about how to control escaping odor and noise through a passive closet vent when the exhaust fan is between cycles.

I have found an affordable damper that I can wire to a timer and will open when the exhaust fan is trying to exchange the air to my closet. Ck it out. Looks affordable too. Anyone know of a better product that will do the same thing.

ZoneMaster 6" Normally Closed Damper | Fan Accessories

Ok, now lets look at the ceiling exhaust fan pushing into the area between the floor joist.

Carbon scrubber or just a cheap bathroom style vent from Home Depot ??

Don't think I can get quiet operation from a cheap bathroom style exhaust fan. What say the more experienced farmers.

Ok so I think I have found the solution to one of my questions. That is the question about how to control escaping odor and noise through a passive closet vent when the exhaust fan is between cycles.

I have found an affordable damper that I can wire to a timer and will open when the exhaust fan is trying to exchange the air to my closet. Ck it out. Looks affordable too. Anyone know of a better product that will do the same thing.

ZoneMaster 6" Normally Closed Damper | Fan Accessories

Ok, now lets look at the ceiling exhaust fan pushing into the area between the floor joist.

Carbon scrubber or just a cheap bathroom style vent from Home Depot ??

Don't think I can get quiet operation from a cheap bathroom style exhaust fan. What say the more experienced farmers.

I looked at the bloombox on there website. I didn't see anywhere that said it had a carbon scrubber. You are for sure going to need one if it doesn't have one, if stealth is a major concern.

I'm not sure venting into a closed space in the floor joist is a great idea. If any smell escapes it will probably get out and into the main living area.

Fresh air needs to circulated a minimum of 1 refresh a minute in the box for proper CO2 levels.

Good luck Doc..

..BioStub

The Bloombox Royale that I was quoted on has a carbon filter and spare filter and other upgrades. Not sure if the base Bloombox has one or not.

yeah pulling from cold air vent is fine. Also I have heard many stories of bloom box owners struggling with heat. Maybe consider upgrading to an led panel.

It will save you from the need to vent so much. After you get it all setup, if you can;t beat the heat you may want to really consider led's.

p.s yeah venting equipment is loud, I would want to stick with a 4" inline fan to vent, there pretty quiet. Those vortex style vents are needed for higher temps and defiantly add a vibrating hum to your house!

how long of a travel does the exist have to travel before reaching the roof?

I know there are a couple of new owners of the Bloombox Royale that are doing grow journals right now and I will be following and contacting them about heat issues with their BB to see if the issue still exists in the latest versions.

I know the cabinet has 2 fans on the glass enclosed 430 HPS. A fan on the veg side. Veg side chamber has a 125 Watt CFL. Also a fan on the flower side for a total of 4. Also the Bloombox Royale has a 4 bulb T5 fixture upgrade resting on top of the reservoir to help catch the underside of plant. So the box is exhausting heat do doubt.

Also included are two carbon filters and I think one is just a replacement as I understand it.

My goal is to keep the ambient air of the closet within range so I am thinking if I can refresh the air on a timed schedule this should help the issue.

Drawing air from the cold air return duct work would work but the duct work would also amplify the sound of the fan drawing. Yes there are silencers available. I am in the basement so the roof/attic is not an option. I think drawing fresh air is solved. I just need to solve the exhaust issue of noise and odor and any excess heat.

Yes LED would certainly help the heat issue but the cost of quality LEDs is more than I want right now but as the technology improves and as my pocketbook heals I would consider LEDs in the future if they come up with replaceable modules so the light can be serviced.

All this in the interest of hiding the box. Go figure. If it wasn't for all that I would park it next to the frig. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom