Setting up a farm for when cannabis becomes legal in Virginia

squoosh54

Long story short, I have a 450 acre farm in Virginia. What are the odds that I could get set up to grow for a living, in preparation for the legalization of marijuana in Virginia? If you think I could make decent money, where should I start, be it research, machinery, infrastructure, etc?

Thanks

Im canadian but security and clearance come first to mind.
From there zoning restrictions if applicable.
Power requirements, strain selection, dispensary options.
Rules on pest control, sanitation logs, a reputeable lab to test thc/cbd concentrations fungal/bacterial contaminants.
Welcome to 420!

It's a bit different than growing other vegetables. Probably be a good idea to grow from beginning to end before investing in a lot of stuff you don't need. That's a lot of property, and I assume you have workers. They would also have to be trusted.

Warehouse type greenhouses are nice to secure your plants without too much drama. Dispensaries only pay on what they sell.

Hey Squoosh54. Long time professional farmer with a B.S. in horticulture. We grow produce as my sole living and also a long time grower of the weed. feel free to visit my blog link at the bottom of this post for some ideas. But, if I can offer you 2 suggestions the first would be tell of your plans to noone.I don't care if it's legal as all get out keep your mouth shut. That comes to selling to dispensaries. You need to do all of that through one broker period. Some one you trust implicitly. Secondly I have learned alot in my total of 47 years of farming. Everything that you do start small and as cheaply as possible. You don't need every fancy whistle and bell. Plan on working alot and doing it all yourself. When you think that you are ready to go I will be happy to share my experiences with you from a farming prospective. Are you mechanically inclined? If not while you are in the planning stage I would start working on all of my mecahnical skills from equipment repair to plumbing, carpentry and electrical work. You are going to need it. Getting the land is the easiest part. I am not trying to be negative with you in any way just bare bones, white knuckled realistic. Best of luck!

Im ready to pounce when va. Legalizes! I only own a few acres but plenty to make a living. Im sure they will restrict amounts and what not. Im thinking edibles to states where it is legal. Why cant i produce it here and ship it for consumption there? Maryland sells fireworks, va does not. Va residents can buy them but maryland residents cant! Really what is the difference.....

They will control the number of plants and who and where you are legally allowed to sell it. Look at how Colorado is requiring GPS ID chipping type tags be attached to each and every plant that is grown. They are going to do everything concievably possible to regulate the trade. If you don't follow their rules to the letter you are going to be considered as operating outside the law similar to moonshiners today in my neck of the woods. The first thing that you should do in any potentially soon to be leagal state is to get a good contract/ business attorney. Having someone set up so that you can get the paperwork started as soon as possible is going to be imperative. I know in my state and amongst my friends we are already in that part of the process. Of course this only pertains to anyone who is going to attempt to make it a legal commercial business out of it.

I'd hope they would also legalize hemp at the same time. Maybe use the majority of those acres for hemp production. As stated, if you want to be a cannabis farmer, there will be plenty of hoops you'll need to jump through.

Don't even know if you should invest your time and money in it anyway. I believe the UN has recently started bitching about the 2 states that have legalized cannabis for recreational use. The US is in a treaty with the UN and are not honoring it by allowing states to do as they please with cannabis. And the shit will hit the fan with the public when our dictator, mr. executive order king barry obummer, enforces federal law and overturns Colorado and Washington's cannabis legalization laws. Might not happen, but probably will.

Actually I read in the news a while ago that some guy in Virginia, Hampton roads area which is worse than country with police in my opinion but anyway, he was being robbed and police came and they tried to bust him for cultivation but couldn't cause he has a contact or something. And I'm sure they would try. Virginia well try anything to take your shit. But anyway js im guessing there's some way to get through it

Update to old thread. What is published in the news is not what the VA law actually says...ie, news says 4 plants PER HOUSEHOLD. Somewhat true...the law actually species 2 mature plants, two immature plants per household, not per individual... and no sales or exchanges...and it's illegal to sell or purchase seeds...erm, so how does one legally grow?

Anything more than 4 plants requires grower to go thru vetting / application process... accompanied by HUGE APPLICATION FEES...plus lawyers' cost... And then there is FDA review of operations as you're producing consumables. The FDA requirements will add 10s of thousands dollars to the operational expenses...you'll be in $50-$100K before you sow a seed...if you get approval to sow a seed. May it suffice to say that production / farms will more than likely be limited to corporations with very deep pockets which is no different than the current situation....I believe they're are 4 facilities licensed to distribute in all of VA.

Don't mean to be a buzz kill but please do your homework before you invest a dime....

Back
Top Bottom