Setting up air ventilation - Filter/fans/etc.

kristas08

Hey guys! Thanks for all your help and support on my last post. Since then I've done a lot more researching and went shopping/received a couple gifts. I want to see if it is possible to go ahead and set up with what I've got or if a couple things may be too big for my room(?). I now have a 1000w HPS lighting system, a 6x39 Phat Filter and an 8'' fan, along with ducting to connect. I originally planned on doing a smaller setup, maybe 4x8 or 5x5 but after speaking with the guy at the hydro shop and having my cousin give me a brand new carbon filter I'm wondering if I should go bigger.

My room is about 8x10x8 with one window. I've been seeing things about closed vs open air systems and now I'm conflicted about what to do with the window. My house has central heat/air so I do not expect temp to be a problem unless I should close the vents in that room? I've seen people with the window AC units and I'm questioning whether I should try it. Do you guys think I should go that route with a closed setup or use the window for air flow? I'm honestly confused as to how the whole system will work but I do have someone coming to assist me with the setup. I was planning on sealing the window off except for where the duct will be for air flow. Now the inline fan and the carbon filter fit together but I'm wondering if this filter will be too big? All the setups I've seen have the filter hanging from the ceiling connected to the fan but this one is so huge i'm not sure if it would be safe to hang. Is it okay to place it on the ground with the fan atop and then run the ducting out? Am I right in thinking I would connect the ducting from out the window to the fan to the filter? And then how would the lights get cooled? Geez I've created so many more questions for myself to answer and I'm so anxious I want to start before my brother comes to help me tomorrow! Sorry for writing so much. I mainly want to know if this setup would work together logistically for growing 4-5 large plants in one room. Thanks guys!

That light would work well with a 4x4 or 5x5 footprint. I saw go forward with the 5x5. I would use a window AC because if you use the central you will have to make the whole house a bit colder than you will probably be comfortable with and that means increased electric bills. Get a window unit and the room has it's own temperature control. I would also vent the ducting from the tent out the window. You want your filter at the top of your tent/room, so don't place it on the ground. If you have to build something separate to support the fitler, but definitely mount it at the top so it can suck out that hot air. Here is how you will run your ducting:

filter>light>fan>window

Yes! Thank you so much for clearing that up. I should be able to fit the AC unit and also the ducting above it for throwing hot air out. I'll work on building something to support the filter now that I know it will be acceptable to use. The only other question I have is that since i'm not using a tent(I am coating the room in mylar) do I need some sort of barrier to section of the 5x5 for the light to reflect properly or do you think it will relect okay with just the walls/ceiling being reflective? You're the best JuanCarlos!

I would definitely build a structure around 5x5 that will be lightproof and reflect the light. Or buy a grow tent. Either way you need to have something to reflect the light in the grow space and not across the whole room.

Back
Top Bottom