Setting up loft for grow in Scotland

TaylorMade420

hi guys im used to growing a few plants in a cupboard but now only space i have is up a loft any ideas n settin up the loft as to not have snow and frost from melting on the roof?

Make sure your loft is well!!! Insulated!! Have the room very controlled as in temp wise and have your lights exhausted! If you can't keep ur loft at a controlled temp then the heat will just rise and melt snow.

Yes, if you have the chance to easily insulate that space now- rafters are visible and you can access everything- seize it, and do a good job. It will be hot in summer and cold in winter otherwise, and you've already tuned in to the melting snow problem. Lofts are good for venting from and general privacy, not so good for getting water, soil, and heavy supplies in and out of. Also troublesome when you have a flood (you don't need to ask how I know this! :) ). I do like lofts for growing though, because of the bit of privacy they give. People don't look up, and smells and sounds tend to travel up and away also.

I am currently experimenting with a method for winter growing in my loft. I am using a smallish tent 1x1x1.4m and Sansi led lighting 3x15 watts. Heat is provided directly to the Hydroponic medium by a submersible 25w heater with the heated water/nute solution flowing over the clay pebbles in the pot. There is also a 60 watt tube heater in the tent but they are not much use except to keep the temps above freezing and to consume power. The total current consumption of my setup is 134w per hour, the heat signature is virtually irrelevant. The plants are a Dutch Passion Auto White Widow and a Royal Queen Seeds Royal Dwarf also an Auto I will see how it goes.

good luck with it friend,, the thread above is many years old

I am currently experimenting with a method for winter growing in my loft. I am using a smallish tent 1x1x1.4m and Sansi led lighting 3x15 watts. Heat is provided directly to the Hydroponic medium by a submersible 25w heater with the heated water/nute solution flowing over the clay pebbles in the pot. There is also a 60 watt tube heater in the tent but they are not much use except to keep the temps above freezing and to consume power. The total current consumption of my setup is 134w per hour, the heat signature is virtually irrelevant. The plants are a Dutch Passion Auto White Widow and a Royal Queen Seeds Royal Dwarf also an Auto I will see how it goes.
45 watts is not a lot of light, see how it goes, you may want to start saving up for a stronger light. Generally for LED's, you want a minimum of 25 watts of power per sq ft., up to 50W/sq ft. you've got 9 sq. feet so you'll be 225 watt or more range. Many good and reasonably priced LED in that power range. I'd look at about 300 watts. Pay no attention to the claims of "Equivalent" watts, it's all marketing, you look at actual power draw.

Back
Top Bottom