SewStoned's First Grow - Random Seeds

looking good sew, im having major trouble with my seedlings shriveling up about half way up the stem then falling over dead. I just sprouted my last four seeds hoping they do better. I started my last four seeds in peat pellets and then put them in a one gallon pot with peatmoss perlite mix.

looking good sew, im having major trouble with my seedlings shriveling up about half way up the stem then falling over dead. I just sprouted my last four seeds hoping they do better. I started my last four seeds in peat pellets and then put them in a one gallon pot with peatmoss perlite mix.

Hey canna, I have had that happen :(. With me it happened right after i overwatered, which thinned out the first set if seeds I tried. Right after I watered, the necks on two thinned and the heads toppled. What strain are you trying?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

October 1, 2016

Just took a look at my germinating seeds from crop king. The dutch treat is still growin good, needs sone time. The blueberry just blew up, ill leave till morning but could be planted now. The early miss has cracked and I can see white. She'll be a few days yet.

I took all the lower foliage off plant #1, hopin she survives... Was ALOT of dense undergrowth.

1 of the 2 replacement seedlings (bag seeds) has split and almost above soil. Still no sign of #2. Again, these will go to a cfl project if they are a go.

im starting critical+ lemon skunk, and mataro blue. I have a Mendocino purple that sprouted 7 days ago but just wont grow. not even a second set of leaves yet. I think my soil might just suck. I waited so long for these seeds to come in the mail and now I might have to order more.

im starting critical+ lemon skunk, and mataro blue. I have a Mendocino purple that sprouted 7 days ago but just wont grow. not even a second set of leaves yet. I think my soil might just suck. I waited so long for these seeds to come in the mail and now I might have to order more.

Hey there Cannaruss. I just went from sprout to plant as well. How long of a "tail" did they have when you planted them? I've always done this with good success:

1. Soak seeds for 14 hours
  2. Germ on a plate with paper towel. Keep it dark, but don't use a second plate on top like so many of us do. They need airflow, at least a bit, too.
  3. Wait for the seeds to crack and grow a 3/4" tail - minimum. An inch is fine too. All of my seeds are usually at this point in three days
  4. Handle the seed carefully and plant tap root side down directly into soil. Do not plant it deep - just under a tiny bit of soil. Enough you can pinch between a finger and a thumb. Don't give them more work than they need to succeed. When planted, place your pots by a window with real light. No grow lights yet.
  5. Lastly - water the soil. I water about 3 oz per plant (just seeds under the dirt at this point. Be careful when watering as your seed isn't very secure yet - try to water all around it vs right on it very much.

That's it.

Here is my seedling this morning:

2016-10-02_08_38_00.jpg

It'll hit the tent (with just CFL lighting initially) tomorrow. Will get the LED treatment mid-week and away we go.

It's a basic process that has always treated me well, and I hope you too should you chose to play with it.

Best of luck!

October 2nd

The crop king seeds have germinated and all are put in soil. Tap roots were between 1/2" - 3/4". I have them under 5 23w cfl's (4@ 5500, 1@ 2700) at close proximity. Temperature holding 27c daytime, 22c nighttime. Humidity between 45-60... Id like it a bit dryer I think to encourage root growth over airborne moisture absorption.

After I remove the cfl's I will keep the original plant and the 2 seedlings from the 25th under the cfl only. The crop king seeds (dutch treat, blueberry and early miss) will get the tent and the mars ii 400w LED.

The 2 new tops are coming along off plant 1.

Ill post some pics in a few days.

October 3rd (Day 1 for CKS: Blueberry & Dutch Treat)

So Blueberry & Dutch treat decided to make today "Day 1".
image17952.jpeg

image17953.jpeg

But still no sign of Early Miss (She did not develop a root nearly as fast as Dutch Treat or Blueberry did).

image17954.jpeg

There's the 3 from Crop King Seeds on the front and right. The 2 I planted on the 25th are at the back and left. One of those seeds came to the surface but has just been sitting there for days, not coming up. No sign of the second one. As I have at least 1 viable female (Dutch Treat) at this time I am going to discontinue the 2 seedlings from the 25th at this point and will no longer follow them in this journal. The first plant I began with (bag seeds / random) that I just topped and am looking to flux will go under just the CFL's when my crop king seeds are ready for the LED.

And yes, I know, CFL's emit more light if they are suspended sideways instead of up and down, this was the material I had and since they wont be under the CFL's too long I am not going to make a new hood for them at this point. I may make a new hood for the original plant when the CKS seeds take the tent over.

October 2, (Day 2)

Got home from work yesterday and found Early Miss had decided to join the rest of the group.

Sprayed a little water (RO, ph'd to about 6.2) directly around the bases as the soil was hella dry... Im blaming the close proximity to the CFL lights.

Having issues with my CFL fixture as well, may remove it from the tent and just use my Mars II LED instead.

The first plant (Random Seed) lost the last of her undergrowth today. Going to try something because I am curious to know if it will work... I have essentially mainlined the plant, except the 2 tops are still forming, and I left and am LST the 2 branches they are forming out of. When the 2 tops (right at the mainline) are large enough I will FIM them, and just let whatever grows from that evolve. Her soil was dry today, but she hasn't showed any signs of needing water and she's small for a 2gal pot so I will just let her work those roots out for today.

With the CFL's removed from the tent I will arrange the plants in the tent in their positions and arrange to take daily pictures from a fixed spot in the room so I can make a timelapse when they are done.

Pics of the new seedlings, Day 2 Blueberry
image18023.jpeg

Day 2, Dutch Treat
image18024.jpeg

Day 2, Early Miss
image18025.jpeg

October 5, (Day 3)

Well just realized I thought today was Oct. 3rd... lmao. So my previous two entries had the date wrong by 2 days. /smokes another one

So have things pretty much set up where I think I will want them overall. Having a bit harder time keeping humidity up as the soil in the big pots dries out. PH'd some RO water down to just above 6 for tomorrow.

Random (the first plant) is doing good, tops are finally to take noticeable form... waiting for a bit of size before I FIM them. Or is that called "lollypoping"? Soil is quite dry, deeper than 2 inches, but the leaves are still perky so I will let her work those roots.

Dutch Treat, Early Miss & Blueberry all look happy this morning. gave them a very light spray with water around the base to make sure they aren't getting too dry... the little containers don't take much to dry up I find.

Day 3, Dutch Treat is the front right, Early Miss is front left, Blueberry is at the back left and Random is the back right.

image18058.jpeg

October 6, Day 4

Random was starting to show signs of stress so she got a good dousing with RO ph'd down to 5.8-6.2. Tops are coming nicely, will FIM soon as I think I can get away with it.

Dutch Treat, Early Miss and Blueberry were all bone dry too, each got about 30-50ml of RO ph'd down as well.

Found a garbage can in the alley behind my house... makes me think Im a try to make as "a cheap as possible DIY stealth grow box" out of it... for kix ;)

Pic
image18097.jpeg

Keep the updates coming. I'm having a good time over here :roorrip: just keeping to my self and watching the show. Is that bottle bringing up the Humidity at all? If you can find a small cool mist humidifier they work great. I have one that you just hook up a water bottle to and it goes for hours, maybe 20 bucks... If it is going to be an issue going forward.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

October 8, (Day 6)

Got humidifier going in my room! YAY. RH sitting mid 40's in tent at the moment, temperature 24c night, 27c day. Babies are doing their own thing. Think the leaves are curling a little bit in the middle on Dutch.

October 9, (Day 7)

The new seedlings are looking a little throttled, leaves are very dark and they are trying to Taco (?) in the middle and are a little wavy. Only difference between them and Random was more recent water, low and behold my PH is fucked :( BOO, got it corrected, hope the sweethearts won't hold it against me too long. Will no longer be trusting previously prepared batches of water prior to administration. Hoping the PH in the soil is ok... I believe it is as its the same thing Random and the earlier seedlings were in with no issues.

The tops on Random are pretty long... hesitantly I attempt to FIM. and FIM. Got the right one perfect, think I cut the left one too low. :(

October 10, (Day 8)

Random's left top was definitely FIM'd too low :( It looks like it miiiiiight pull out a top or two. The right one is just singing along along, looks like I will get 3 shoots from it.

October 11, (Day 9)

The curl has almost gone, Early Miss and CB Dutch Treat still have a bit of wave on their starter leaves. Seedlings are very dry, I see Dutch has spread a couple of roots through the drainage holes in the bottom of her container and low and behold... got a very very solid root base, about 1" up the bottom the cup, swirled all the way around pretty proportionately. Roots like clean and crisp. Put her (and Blueberry and Early Miss) into the 2 Gal buckets today. You can see the curl in the tent pic below.

Cleaned my tent... wow it was getting real dirty really fast, so while their still small and maneuverable gave the whole thing a good going over.

Random's right FIM gets braced down and as the 3 shoots grow I will span them out over the one side of the pot. Looks like the left cut may grow 2 ... but its very slow :( Will wait for larger tops to FIM next time... was very small when I did it.

Pics:
image18305.jpeg

image18306.jpeg

October 12, (Day 10)

The wilt doesn't look like it wants to come out from those initial two leaves... Plants otherwise look very happy. I don't want to flush the roots if I don't have to, and I am assuming since the wilt occurred and hasn't gotten worse that they may be ok...

Used a couple more pegs to start spreading the 3 tops from the successful FIM apart into the desired locations.

It took a couple of days but the humidifier in my room finally seems to be paying off inside the tent a little better. Hovering between 50 - 55 RH, temp is up a bit though, 28 at day, 23 at night. The soil is NOT drying nearly as fast with this 15-20% RH increase. Wondering if I should lower it a tad more to encourage dry soil to stretch the roots more...?

image18349.jpeg

There's not a rush to help with expanding the roots, they'll find they're way in the extra day or two It takes to dry the pot. These young plants are going to like the 50-60% Rh... It's always a task to get things tuned in, and right where you want it. Keep up the excellent progress, you'll have it all set in stone soon...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Back
Top Bottom