Sexing question: growth patterns

So, I’m well aware of the fact that the only fail-proof way is to see pistils or sacs, but I read cryptic hints all over from experienced growers saying this or that plant seems to look male or female in it’s growth patterns....
Something along the lines of shorter and stouter tend to be female and taller and lankier tend to be male.

Anyone got any insights?

Yeah, sort of. But there are exceptions to every rule, and this isn't really something that it's a good idea to go making assumptions about, lol. I have seen the tallest plant in a set of seeds end up being female. It probably isn't helped by the fact that it's somewhat rare these days to find a strain that doesn't have multiple phenotypes. Wouldn't it suck to begin a conversation by saying, "I had two plants that were noticeably taller than the rest," in preface to telling someone that you had just killed them due to the assumption that they were males - only to have the person you were talking to interrupt you with, "Yeah, I've heard that the strain has a tall and short phenotype... aren't you lucky, it's the tall ones that are really good."

If you're not sure whether a plant is female, just take a cutting and stick it somewhere you can give it 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness per day; it'll show you quick enough. You can do this with a low-wattage CFL in a shoebox if you have to.

Yeah, sort of. But there are exceptions to every rule, and this isn't really something that it's a good idea to go making assumptions about, lol. I have seen the tallest plant in a set of seeds end up being female. It probably isn't helped by the fact that it's somewhat rare these days to find a strain that doesn't have multiple phenotypes. Wouldn't it suck to begin a conversation by saying, "I had two plants that were noticeably taller than the rest," in preface to telling someone that you had just killed them due to the assumption that they were males - only to have the person you were talking to interrupt you with, "Yeah, I've heard that the strain has a tall and short phenotype... aren't you lucky, it's the tall ones that are really good."

If you're not sure whether a plant is female, just take a cutting and stick it somewhere you can give it 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness per day; it'll show you quick enough. You can do this with a low-wattage CFL in a shoebox if you have to.
Oh absolutely TS, I would never do anything rash without being absolutely sure. It was just something I was thinking about and I was wondering if anyone else had any other patterns they’ve noticed.. or thought they’ve noticed. Just trying to spark a conversation about something I had been thinking/wondering about.

@TorturedSoul i got another question for you though, what’s the smallest pot size you can get a plant to show preflowers in? My thinking is that it’s possible even in a red cup, but that most genetics will be pretty rootbound by the time the preflowers show....

Basically I’ve got 7 regular seeds going, and I don’t want to spend resources unnecessarily on Males or weak phenos.. they’re babies right now but I’m just trying to shape out my game plan.. what I do know for sure is that the four strongest girls will be flowering in 5 gallon fabric pots at the end of February.. but I’m still trying to decide the best way to do the middle part where I sex and cull. Any thoughts?

There is a DNA test to determine the sex of 7 day old seedlings-fairly affordable at $15.00 per seedling...
Google "home dna test for sexing cannabis"
I probably can't mention the company name,but initials are P.B., sold at Cali based NHC
I used to be under the impression that the taller,"skinnier" plants were probably males,but my last grow proved me wrong. Twice.

@TorturedSoul i got another question for you though, what’s the smallest pot size you can get a plant to show preflowers in? My thinking is that it’s possible even in a red cup, but that most genetics will be pretty rootbound by the time the preflowers show....

There was a thread about seeing what people could harvest from... I think it was those shot-glass sized plastic cups a while back, lol. Probably for the first time in this universe, lol, size really doesn't matter. Here you go:
World's Smallest Solo Cup Grow

There was a thread about seeing what people could harvest from... I think it was those shot-glass sized plastic cups a while back, lol. Probably for the first time in this universe, lol, size really doesn't matter. Here you go:
World's Smallest Solo Cup Grow
That is a super cool journal.. I hope that I can veg in solo cups until I see preflowers. If not I’ll have to up pot to 2L bottles or something like that.. which means I’ll need to get more soil, hopefully I can avoid doing that

For sexing your clones? Yes, you can use small containers. For the plants you're intending to carry to harvest? If you don't want to harvest much, I suppose (or if you intend to have a lot more plants).

Back
Top Bottom