Shasta County (Redding)

justjr27

Im writing because Im planning on moving to Cali with wife and two little kids in Feb/Mar 2011 from Florida and Shasta(Redding) is top on my list. Im 31 years old and suffer from major back disc/foot problems from my younger college football days. So I have been growing for 8 years for both medicine and to survive becuase its very hard holding a job when sometimes you cant make it to work because of the pain. I have always grown 70 plants at a time and my system works with that plant number. Will it be possiable to grow those numbers with no legal problems in redding or any city in shasta county? Are there any special licenses I would need to get beside my MMJ card? Im going to be renting for maybe the first year so I can regroup the moving expense are the landlords cool with people growing or should one just keep it quiet and not say anything? Also I grow Hydro is there a good market for it there or will I have to drive down to other dispen/coop to get rid out it. As you can see I have so many questions just want to dot my I and cross my T lol Its a big move and want to know as much as I can. Thanks for your time looking forward to hearing back from you and maybe picking your brain a little more lol

Redding is rough, lots of police.

Shasta is high elevation, has a short summer, and is a small dead-end town. Lots of cold dark weather and snow. I know someone that got busted for hash there that has a medical card. Hard to not have hash if you grow, if you ask me.

If you like country living and snow go to Shasta. Redding is still a relatively small town with a lot of police. This equates to the police eventually getting to know you. In all honesty there are a lot better and more fun places to live than that far north in Cali.

Redding is rough, lots of police.

Shasta is high elevation, has a short summer, and is a small dead-end town. Lots of cold dark weather and snow. I know someone that got busted for hash there that has a medical card. Hard to not have hash if you grow, if you ask me.

If you like country living and snow go to Shasta. Redding is still a relatively small town with a lot of police. This equates to the police eventually getting to know you. In all honesty there are a lot better and more fun places to live than that far north in Cali.

what would you recommend like I stated I need to be able to grow at least 70 plants and be legal

Well 70 plants? You better do your research on that one. I cannot see how anyone would ever need 70 plants myself.

As far as places to live, the Bay area is cool, so is Monterrey and Santa Cruz. A lot of things to consider like How much you can afford to spend to live and so on. Most of the nice places in California are expensive. I love living in San Diego, but it has been awhile. I hear the law is tough on MMJ and it is an expensive place to live.

Well 70 plants? You better do your research on that one. I cannot see how anyone would ever need 70 plants myself.

As far as places to live, the Bay area is cool, so is Monterrey and Santa Cruz. A lot of things to consider like How much you can afford to spend to live and so on. Most of the nice places in California are expensive. I love living in San Diego, but it has been awhile. I hear the law is tough on MMJ and it is an expensive place to live.[/QUOT

Well if you had to smoke or eat something every 30 mins or so do calm the spasms you would understand

Well coming from a big city I think the country life will be a good change plus me and wifey really dont go out much anymore. Ive read some post on other forums that Redding is ok to grow and live butt I have been able to get some that lives there and grows to chime I wish I could I know they are out there

But Thanks For Posting Dude

Can i please get some one from shasta county to comment please !!!! I feel like im getting the silent treatment alot of people have commented but either from another county or that just know people am i stepping on peoples toes or what

The last thing a shastinian wants to do is encourage even more people to move there....moving from FLA to Shasta will be quite the environmental shocker. Bring your mittens.

When you get to Redding, turn left and take Hwy 299 west.

Don't look back.

When you reach Hwy 101, you will be in Arcata, in Humboldt County.

The last thing a shastinian wants to do is encourage even more people to move there....moving from FLA to Shasta will be quite the environmental shocker. Bring your mittens.

Now thats just being greedy theres plenty of space for those who want to free themselves from being told what is go and bad Why should I have to suffer Thats just a bad view of things man Its not like if one motre person comes to shasta and starts to grow that MJ is going to be coming out of the drain pipes plus what if prop 19 passes Then just think about the people who are going to start coming from everywhere and growing and just have people take it to others states So theres no reason for people to be greedy instead they should be open to people who really need to be there.

When you get to Redding, turn left and take Hwy 299 west.

Don't look back.

When you reach Hwy 101, you will be in Arcata, in Humboldt County.

Is that a invitation or a mock dont know what way to take it lol Humboldt is a little to far north for me I want to be in a queit place just not that quiet lol

Is that a invitation or a mock dont know what way to take it lol Humboldt is a little to far north for me I want to be in a queit place just not that quiet lol

justjr27 Humboldt County IS the Marijuana Capital of the world. You really need to go to California and see first hand what you are moving into especially bringing a family or wife with you. There has been an explosion of people imigrating to California thinking they will strike it rich in the Green Rush. If you can cultivate and manufacture Medical Marijuana that is worthy of dispensaries hard won dough than God bless you but there are many people already established trying to do the same thing. Tell me if you are smoking every 30 minutes thats still only 2 oz's a week. How can you convince a Dr that you need 70 Plants when outdoors they can yield upwards of 10 lbs and I know you will say indoors but how do you pay for that in Florida and especially California where theres no FPL with cheap electric?
Please think of rents also, you need coin to make that jump.

Greed has nothing to do with locals wanting to keep a small town small and local. In CA we have license plate frames and bumper stickers for as long as i can remember that say "welcome to California, now go home". I personally could care less who moves where, but I was just trying to explain why the folks up north arnt flocking to this thread in droves to sing the praises of their little towns and invite you to move in next door.
You may want to check the map again. Mt Shasta is farther north than most of Humboldt, including Arcata by a hair. and Redding is about 20 miles south of Arcata.

You really need to come visit before moving here.

justjr27 Humboldt County IS the Marijuana Capital of the world. You really need to go to California and see first hand what you are moving into especially bringing a family or wife with you. There has been an explosion of people imigrating to California thinking they will strike it rich in the Green Rush. If you can cultivate and manufacture Medical Marijuana that is worthy of dispensaries hard won dough than God bless you but there are many people already established trying to do the same thing. Tell me if you are smoking every 30 minutes thats still only 2 oz's a week. How can you convince a Dr that you need 70 Plants when outdoors they can yield upwards of 10 lbs and I know you will say indoors but how do you pay for that in Florida and especially California where theres no FPL with cheap electric?
Please think of rents also, you need coin to make that jump.

well wasnt worried about rent or elec. for the first 77 days until harvest because of course I have money to invest into the move I had budgeted 15,000 dollars with would be just for the move b/c I have all the equip. already Thinking of just moving to North Carolina and growing in the woods somewhere there the laws are really relaxed and housing is so much cheaper I could give a downpayment on a 3/2 house and pay around 400/500 per month mort. Thanks for the replys

Humboldt County, and the city of Arcata, are places I have gone on vacation or for the specific purpose of getting great weed for a great price. A stranger and go to Humboldt and score good buds for a good price. They made a TV show on A&E called Pot City USA that covers Arcata. YouTube - Kevin Hoover, owner of the Arcata Eye, excerpts from A&E's Pot City USA

Maybe that will give you an idea what it is like in NorCal as far as rent and power cost and even competition on supplying dispensaries.

I have people I know that live in the Shasta area. The Bubba Kush and other strains they grow are second to none. They would go to dispensaries in the bay area to sell and be turned away because of the way the buds were trimmed or something. Competition is very stiff and may have more to do with who you know than the quality of you buds.

I live in Redding, what do you want to know? Most information that you have received about Redding is wrong, most don't know cause they don't live here, ask away brutha!

I live in Redding, what do you want to know? Most information that you have received about Redding is wrong, most don't know cause they don't live here, ask away brutha!

How open is the area to alternative building methods? Like modified ISBUs (shipping containers)or packed earth and concrete?

Greetings from a resident of Shasta County for the last 20 years (living just outside Redding city limits).

What are you wanting to know, because it is not a "short summer, bring your mittens, and shovel the feet of snow off the driveway" place at all. It's also not a place to come looking for work - bring your job (and your woman) with you. We are VERY service orientated and generate most revenue based on tourism, since logging as been reduced. Also a good spot for retirees from LA and Bay Area where they sell the big expensive home and move here for a cheaper way of life, without the congestion of a BIG city. And we are rural - Redding is about 90k people (counting the surrounding towns) and is the biggest city north of Sacramento (2+ hours away).

Alternative construction? Not within city limits, but you want county property anyways. 70 plants? Not going to happen without a collective/co-op with other patients. Plenty of local collectives and the rural county land is prime for growing - long hot/dry summers with the cool mountain air in the evenings as Fall approaches to help finish your ladies.

What else would you like to know?

:peace:

I'm not looking to grow for a living there. Just a small cabinet for myself. I'm just am tired of being scared for easing my pain whit something that doesn't want to kill me. I'm alergic to any kind of pain killers that actualy work from the chemical companies.
When I leave here, I will likely have around 20K to replace this place with. If I were to take my time looking, can I find rural property not too far distant from services (stores, gas and such) with utilities for under 10K?

I'm not looking to grow for a living there. Just a small cabinet for myself. I'm just am tired of being scared for easing my pain whit something that doesn't want to kill me. I'm alergic to any kind of pain killers that actualy work from the chemical companies.
When I leave here, I will likely have around 20K to replace this place with. If I were to take my time looking, can I find rural property not too far distant from services (stores, gas and such) with utilities for under 10K?

That's going to be tough. Property in CA - even rural CA is expensive, and county property will be 3-5 acre min. How far from services are you willing to be? What about one of the more rural towns surrounding Redding (Anderson, Cottonwood, Shasta Lake City, Bella Vista, Shingletown, etc)? Undeveloped property will need a well and septic system, and we are in the foothills of the Trinity/Sierra/Cascade ranges - so it's ROCKY digging.

I'm not trying to discourage you - just trying to be honest. I've seen soooo many people move here only to give up and leave. California is expensive...property, food, gas, health care, etc....and we are "circling the drain" as a State economy/government. I say that having spent 20 yrs working for a CA State agency, and watching the political on-goings and monetary mismanagement...now glad to have just spent my last day working there.

More questions?

Good Luck! :peace:

Thank you for your help. I just don't know what I'm gonna do. Maybe bank the money from this place and try the LTVAs and BLM parking with my van. Find someplace in the desert cheap just for a residential address or something.

Back
Top Bottom