Shelf Life

So, after its cured and placed in storage shelf life?
Shelf life isn't really a strain specific thing. If you grow nice tight buds, dry them slow, cure them properly, and keep them in a airtight/light tight container they will last quite a while. I have buds from years ago that will still get you high,, but you usually only have a year or so for full potency. If you don't pay attention to growing quality, and end up with larfy buds they will dry fast and become fragile and fall apart.

It's important to keep light away from it if you want to store some. A vacuum bag sealer and the freezer will keep them for some time.

Stored at the same level of moisture content, and under the same conditions, in an airtight container, et cetera.... They ought to be the same. Except for the fact that THC (and CBD) does degrade over time, so the strongest strains would naturally retain some potency for a greater length of time than weaker ones, simply because they have more (initial) potency to lose.

The only strain I know of that is known for a long shelf life is Blueberry. I am sure there are more.

There are also strains that have a short shelf life. My original Trailer Trash Betty has a short shelf life. That is what I have heard anyway LOL. I have never had it last longer then one year. I have had a G-13 Haze for over a year with no major loss of effects. Pretty sure lots will make the 1 year mark with ease. After that you might need to find better ways to store it.

thanks for the replies,. i do follow accepted harvesting and curing procedures. the reason i was asking you guy's is because i've had a hard time finding any information on the subject. i have 11 strains in my stash . the ones that have stayed potent over time are; sweet tooth, blue dream, and mendo purps. i think jackalope is correct when says blueberry will keep, because blue dream is half blueberry. thanks

The only strain I know of that is known for a long shelf life is Blueberry. I am sure there are more.

There are also strains that have a short shelf life. My original Trailer Trash Betty has a short shelf life. That is what I have heard anyway LOL. I have never had it last longer then one year. I have had a G-13 Haze for over a year with no major loss of effects. Pretty sure lots will make the 1 year mark with ease. After that you might need to find better ways to store it.
What makes Blueberry a longer lasting strain?

Not sure but I have heard that for years. Could be bullshit. It have something to do with terpene's. D.J.'s strains have a bit different terpene profile then some of the older strains.
Terpenes make the shelf life thing even worse. I think we've all had great bud that had a THC percentage of 15 or so, and bud that was well above 25 that wasn't as strong. This is called the entourage effect. Terpenes work together with THC, CBD, CBN, and all the other cannabinols making the over all affect stronger.
The problem is terpenes start to evaporate at 70F. Since the terpene profile is so strong with B Berry, maybe thats why its lasts so long? Who knows

Stored at the same level of moisture content, and under the same conditions, in an airtight container, et cetera.... They ought to be the same. Except for the fact that THC (and CBD) does degrade over time, so the strongest strains would naturally retain some potency for a greater length of time than weaker ones, simply because they have more (initial) potency to lose.

I agree with you on this one TS. More potent means more shelf life if you want to keep your material in flower form.

Only thing I do to extend shelf life is extraction. If you don't mind keeping things in extract form like I do then they would last impressively long in vac. bags. BHO, hash, alcohol extracts and kief, they are all fine. I advise curing whatever your material is for a week before you seal them. I keep my extracts in the fridge.

Vacuum bags are also great to extend shelf life. I've never tried that but COB curing must help with the shelf life too. I got some corns and spare some leaves to be ready for COB curing on my next harvest.

Back
Top Bottom