Sheriff: No Guns For Pot Activist After Home Invasion Shootout

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A Washington state medical marijuana activist -- who nearly killed an armed intruder in his home this month -- has been barred from buying guns, even though he says he has no criminal record.

Steve Sarich of CannaCare said he tried to buy a shotgun and a pistol a few days after the March 15 shootout at his home, to replace guns that were seized by investigators, reports Gene Johnson of The Associated Press. But Sarich said he failed the background check.

Sarich got an email from the King County Sheriff's Office Tuesday, attempting to explain the denial. It says Sarich showed law enforcement officers his paperwork as a medical marijuana patient -- and those papers create a presumption that Sarich is an "unlawful user" of a controlled substance.

Sarich is a legal medical marijuana patient under Washington's medical marijuana law, passed by voters in 1998.

The sheriff's office said that since federal law says using a "controlled substance" disqualifies someone from passing a background check for gun purchases, Sarich can't buy any more firearms.

Sarich said he finds it absurd that medical marijuana patients should have to give up their Second Amendment rights.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Toke of the Town - Cannabis news, rumor and humor
Author: Steve Elliott
Copyright: 2010 Village Voice Media Holdings, LLC
Website: Toke of the Town - Sheriff: No Guns For Pot Activist After Home Invasion Shootout

I guess they think it's funny to refuse self-protection when there is an obvious need. Local sheriff did the same to me--denied me the right to protect my garden, and thus myself, with either firearms or security team. Why? The sheriff here said "it's unlawful."

Make sense out of that.....

Are we going to void the 2nd amendment of the United States Constitution for vicoden users too?

I've always argued this point when it comes to medical users. All of those prescription drugs are listed under the Scheduled drug act (I,II,III,etc), yet with a prescription, you should be fine. Not the case with MMJ for some absurd reason. This also leaves all growers at risk for burglaries and puts them even more in harms way if something bad does happen.

I guess they think it's funny to refuse self-protection when there is an obvious need. Local sheriff did the same to me--denied me the right to protect my garden, and thus myself, with either firearms or security team. Why? The sheriff here said "it's unlawful."

Make sense out of that.....

That really sucks bud. Sorry you had to deal with such ignorance firsthand. I hate the fact that MMJ is legal, but we still have to act/think like criminals! Makes it look very bad to all of the ignorant/misinformed public (in their eyes we probably come across as criminals because we have to act with anonymity).

mebe the militia had the right idea???

So we should all post anti-government rants online that claim our political system attacks moral values? You know, as opposed to shooting random people

Religious extremism or complete anarchy is the right idea to combat a confused justice system? Maybe think a little harder on this one.

:peace:

So we should all post anti-government rants online that claim our political system attacks moral values? You know, as opposed to shooting random people

Religious extremism or complete anarchy is the right idea to combat a confused justice system? Maybe think a little harder on this one.

:peace:

tongue-in-cheek my friend....:cheesygrinsmiley:

I am a Canadian, so the 2nd amendment does not concern me BUT security does. All that police officer has done by taking away his legal right to bear arms is force the grower to criminal activities to secure his property and person. Instead of gun battle it may end up with crossbows and other hunting weapons. If I was that person in need of protection, I would be forced to boobytrap my space. What cop wants to walk into a boobytrap? What cop wants to see decapitated heads and crossbow bolts through a theif's body? If they keep this insane crap up, that is exacty the type of shit the cops will be forced to deal with. Now does it not sound much more reasonable to just legalize it already and get it over with; then we would not have to worry as much about theives.

Its the feds not the local cops.
The law says that you have to pass a federal check.
The patient is breaking federal law. (Stupid law, but those are the rules the feds play by.)

The state law and the local cop aren't the ones saying no. Its the feds.

They want to bring the 2nd amendment into this, Big mistake.

Might as well just give him the lotto money now.

The states are wanting their stolen power back, couple the 2 most touchy subjects and you've just given them more ammo to use against the feds.

Not to mention the fact that now all the gun supporters will now be on the side of Medical Cannabis just because of this issue, I hope he makes a big stink of it and that it gets a lot of "Statewide" media attention in Wash.

If something violent happens and these people are hurt with no protection, just think of the repercussions!

Also he can still "Legally" own and posses firearms, just his over the counter buying days are over. Can anyone say Swap-meet? I bet people have all ready called and offered to just give him guns by now. I know they would me.

Gun laws are only for law abiding citizens, Criminals don't care about gun laws.

And gun laws are simply tools used by the feds to stop the people from rallying against federal corruption, unjust laws, taxes and all the other crap that has destroyed ALL freedom in the US.

And if you think gun laws are to protect the masses, just keep telling yourself what ever it takes to get you thru the day, as your only fooling yourself.

Now that the cops kick in doors, with no knock warrants, hold people at gun point with fully automatic weapons with out ID-ing themselves, while wearing masks over their faces, so they can't be IDed and held responsible buy the masses.

Soon the Politicians will be wearing masks. For said protection from the masses.

This could be one of the last nails in the coffin of prohibition. The NRA is a huge force! They will be forced to side with the Medical Cannabis grower.

Its the feds not the local cops.
The law says that you have to pass a federal check.
The patient is breaking federal law. (Stupid law, but those are the rules the feds play by.)

The state law and the local cop aren't the ones saying no. Its the feds.
Thanks for clearing that up.

They are just looking for any old excuse for taking our guns, so we can be sitting ducks.
the police will never ever be there to help you, they always show up at their leisure when you are dead, to write a report.
I will join the CNRDA asap.

It still amazes me the differences of countries. Our laws are worlds apart, quite literally.

Back
Top Bottom