Sheriff Says Marijuana Business Is "Growing"

Herb Fellow

More and more people are buying homes for the sole purpose of growing marijuana, according to the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, and they're buying those homes in upscale neighborhoods.

And in the last 20 months, deputies and other members of the metro-wide drug task force have been cracking down on the big business

Since Jan. 2006, they say they've seized nearly $29 million dollars worth of marijuana in homes or businesses with property values totaling more than $1 million dollars. The homes were outfitted with hundreds of thousands of dollars of growing equipment.

"It's kind of a startup business," Sheriff Rich Stanek said. "Find yourself a house, get some seeds."

Stanek said it's happening almost everywhere, from the middle of cities to suburbs and beyond.

"You can essentially set up a grow operation in a house or in a business." He said.

He added: the hydroponic marijuana grown in these operations is "high-grade" marijuana and is "three to four times more addictive" than marijuana grown outside.

Growers use artificial lights and carefully monitor nutrients to make the powerful pot.

Stanek said it's such a lucrative business, the growers use elaborate security systems to protect their homes and often protect themselves with high-powered weapons.

Two years ago, Minneapolis police told KARE11 The marijuana trade had become so lucrative drug dealers were fighting turf wars and would kill each other over marijuana "without a doubt."

Stanek said pot growers will do anything to protect their business.

"They're violent when they do these things," he said. "They're protecting their trade."

The sheriff's office didn't link any specific violent crimes to the recent drug busts.

But Stanek said it's a mistake for people to think the marijuana trade is less dangerous than the trade of other, harder drugs.

Source: KARN 11
Copyright: 2007 KARN 11 News
Website: kare11.com :: KARE 11 TV - Sheriff says marijuana business is "growing"

Thats crazy, thats the county next to me. And boy let me tell you that they lie a little on those facts. Some of it i can see but not a full on turf war.

I live in Minneapolis/St. Paul and ther are no turf wars going on over pot. Selling pot is very open if you dont like what one guy has you just walk down the block and see if you can get a better deal. If not then you just go back to the first. One thing is for sure here, it is a lot easyer to get really high grade stuff now, ie dro.

He added: the hydroponic marijuana grown in these operations is "high-grade" marijuana and is "three to four times more addictive" than marijuana grown outside.

It should be illegal for state or federal employee's to outright lie.

LOL potent, deadly, dangerous, addictive - they are all synonyms to the prohibitionists

i love my country. but our boys in blue need to straighten up and chase the real crime. if "our business" is so violent, why aren't the police having trouble apprehending the growers? and addictive? maybe if we fed it to him in more simple terms like these(for example). There is a big difference in what is addictive and what is just good. He may enjoy donuts because they are tasty. That doesn't mean he is addicted to them. Just like herb isn't addictive. We chose to use it because we enjoy it, not because we are dependent upon it.
and i guess i need this little disclaimer: I know some cops that are really cool. i apologize to these officers for any donut puns.

Wow, I didn't know that growing in hydro makes your weed so much better, thanks for the tip..... SMH.

Three to four times more adictitive.

I was never really good on math so correct me if I'm wrong here. Since cannabis isn't addictive, that number would be zero. 0 times 3 is 0, 4 times 0 is still 0. So then, 0 times 0 is also 0 so doesn't that make that statement irrelevant?

Some Cops have never grown out of the same rhetoric that they used back in the sixties and seventies. That's sad for the ignorant misinformed part of the population who strongly depend on the News for the truth and get fed this bullshit.

RD :hookah::hookah::peace::peace:

Please tell me that the percentage of our population that still believes this propaganda and or fall for the fear mongering is either learning from the current flow of positive information or are just passing away.

Back
Top Bottom